PDA

View Full Version : First visit to a Rockler Store

Harley Reasons
06-21-2008, 9:05 PM
Came up north here to Edinburgh, IN for a antique tractor show this weekend. Took the opportunity to journey on up to Indianapolis and visit the Rockler Store. It was truly a "Big Boy Toy Store".
I picked up several "Gee Hon, I need one of those" events.
Got a stainless steel engineer square, a brass marking gauge, a Kreg stop & Incra miter slot guides for the TS sled I'm going to build, along with several other goodies. It wouldn't do for me to have one of those stores close by.
Great bunch of folks running it and very helpful.
It only cost me two additional stops at knitting shops for the LOML and I didn't even ask how much she spent, just put the bags in the truck and went on.

Jamie Buxton
06-21-2008, 9:16 PM
There's no need to go that far to dent your pocketbook. There's a Woodcraft store a little south of Nashville. It'll do the same job, but it is closer.

Dave Sharpe
06-21-2008, 9:18 PM
There's no need to go that far to dent your pocketbook. There's a Woodcraft store a little south of Nashville. It'll do the same job, but it is closer.

And then there this thing called the internet..................

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2008, 9:26 PM
Harley,

There are no Rockler's in Idaho and to the best of my knowledge only one Woodcraft stores in Idaho.

I'm in Arlington, TX for 2 weeks on a business trip and today after lunch with some other Creekers, they forced me to go to a Rockler's..my first time. They told me it was an unwritten Texas woodworking regulation. Who am I to get into trouble away from home. I bought t/s tenoning jig hoping it was a big enough expenditure to keep me out of trouble with the locals. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Greg Hines, MD
06-21-2008, 9:39 PM

It may be closer for you to go to south of Birmingham to the Woodcraft there.

Doc

Harley Reasons
06-21-2008, 9:49 PM
Yeah I've been to the WC store there in Franklin, TN. It got a chunk of my money also. However, like every good tool junkie I never miss a chance to visit a new supplier to get my tool fix. :)

Steve Flavin001
06-21-2008, 10:57 PM
just now finding your first enlightenment in a visit to a Rockler store. In the SF Bay area we have a Rockler store and a few weeks ago Anne Rockler came out to have coffee and donuts with us! :eek:

In my case, the Rockler store is three blocks down the street from my bank allowing for easy funds transfer :p

We also have a Woodcraft store (franchise) that has changed overview once or more.

Sounds like you fellows just need to order more stuff and get "Anne" to open a store nearer you. Just state your preference - raised or cake. :D

Dave Lehnert
06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I have one Rockler store about 20 min from the house and another about 5 min.

Patrick Nailon
06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Came up north here to Edinburgh, IN for a antique tractor show this weekend. Took the opportunity to journey on up to Indianapolis and visit the Rockler Store. It was truly a "Big Boy Toy Store".

My 4 year old daughter is as happy to go to Rockler as I am. The local one (Orange, California) has a rocking horse that she plays on, toys, and a big bucket of crayons and coloring books. Gotta get her to 'accidentally' color in a woodworking book I need someday ("Sorry dear, Athena thought this was a coloring book and colored in it and they made me pay for it and bring it home...")

Great prices, always some kind of bargain, coupon or something. And poking around the lumber in the back is a 'must do'.

One of these Saturdays, I gotta take my next door neighbor with me to one of their workshops. He's not only a fellow woodworker, he's an 87 year old WWII Army Artillary veteran.

Bob Genovesi
06-22-2008, 7:56 AM
Rockler and WoodCraft stores are among the two worst stores to visit! The more visits I make to either of them the longer I have to work before I can retire!! I never seem to be able to visit either of them and go home empty handed!! http://dune.servint.com/uploads/c_laugh.gif

Jim Kountz
06-22-2008, 4:28 PM
We just got a brand new Rockler Store not 20 minutes from my house. Im going to be in the doghouse for months on end now! The nice folks of McFarlands Mill in Winchester, VA opened it just recently. Been twice already and going again this week! Whoo Hoo!!