PDA

View Full Version : what hand tools to buy when in England

Dan Barr
06-21-2008, 8:37 PM
I have moved to England now and am trying to hit up the boot sales (flea markets). I know to pick up any and all Norris infill planes if i ever see one.

I would like to ask you guys what hand tools i should be on the lookout for.

cheers,

dan

Casey Gooding
06-21-2008, 8:42 PM
What part of England are you in??
I've spent a good bit of time in Yorkshire and absolutely love it. I am constantly trying to figure out how to live there someday.
I'm very jealous.
Happy hunting. You should be able to find some good stuff.

Bill Houghton
06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Alf (Alice Frampton) is in Cornwall, and can be found at http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/. I'm not sure where BugBear (Paul Womack) lives, but his website is at http://www.geocities.com/plybench/index.html. Unless you live where you'd be competing with them - and maybe even then - I'm sure they'd have ideas.

As a Californian, I'm always fascinated by English ideas of distance. We're watching a BBC detecive series right now on which there are occasional references to something being 60 miles away, as if that's the far side of the moon. Here in California, until the gas prices hit $4.00 a gallon, 60 miles was considered a reasonable trip for a good restaurant. Of course, since English and European gas prices have been way above $4.00/gallon for years, maybe that's why distances mean more there...

Wilbur Pan
06-22-2008, 7:37 AM
If I was over there, I'd be on the lookout for a good half set of hollows and rounds. They seem to pop up more on the UK used tool websites more often than over here.

Terry Beadle
06-22-2008, 10:04 AM
There are really good old chisels there. What with the fall of the US dollar they are too pricey with VAT and shipping. But if you are paid in Euros they must be cheaper! Hoot!

Really keep an eye out for some Swans etc.

Steve Reilly
06-22-2008, 5:33 PM
I go over to England every two or three years to visit my inlaws and always buy some hand tools I usually find some chisels and gouges at reasonable prices. Last time I bought 8 or 10 molding planes and my daughter found a real nice shapening stone in a nice wood case for around $ 14 Where in England are you we got to Essex but usually travel around too, Beers a plus there for me also. Steve

Stephen Shepherd
06-22-2008, 5:54 PM
I have moved to England now and am trying to hit up the boot sales (flea markets). I know to pick up any and all Norris infill planes if i ever see one.

I would like to ask you guys what hand tools i should be on the lookout for.

cheers,

dan

You probably can't go wrong buying old laminated blade tools, chisels, planes, hammers, etc. the steel is very hard.

Stephen

Jim Koepke
06-22-2008, 6:09 PM
Look for the 101-1/2 Stanley. Check Blood & Gore to see what this is and what to look for. It is supposedly more common in England and they sell for fantastic sums over here.

Also look for any tools you may want for your own shop that may be had at a better price over there.

jim

Ray Gardiner
06-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I was in UK last year and went to a few car boot sales, I picked up a near mint Stanley Hand Drill for 1 pound, there was lots of other stuff, I would have loved to get but lack of luggage space was a real problem.

Keep a look out for early back saws. The best Dovetail saws ever made were made in Sheffield during the 19th Cent. Lot's of them still around, in varying condition. Good ones can still be had for reasonable prices.

Things to look for, straight blade, no kinks or bends. a little rust pitting is not a deal breaker, they generally will clean up nicely. Original handle in good condition, make sure it feels comfortable, some have relatively small handles.

Cleaned up and re-sharpened a good early Dovetail saw is the equal or better than anything you can buy new today.

Jose Kilpatrick
06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Not sure if these are quality, but I think Footprint is in Sheffield and supposedly they make chisels. I can't vouch for quality, but maybe other members can.

Jim Koepke
06-24-2008, 2:48 AM
Not sure if these are quality, but I think Footprint is in Sheffield and supposedly they make chisels. I can't vouch for quality, but maybe other members can.

My first mallet is made by them and I still use it. They also make great cabinet screwdrivers or at least they used to.

If it were me over there and had the time, I would try to tour all the toolmakers and just look for things that may have a better price than can be had here.

jim

Ray Gardiner
06-24-2008, 4:42 AM

They are still in business for details see:-

http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk

Vince Shriver
06-28-2008, 12:59 PM
A few years ago, I was working for an English antique restorer who took a trip back home. He picked up a Norris 17.5 inch Norris panel plane for me. I love using the thing on rare occasion - heavy and smooth, huge thick blade, just sweet. If I were to flatten my workbench, that'd be the first plane I'd reach for.

Dan Barr
06-29-2008, 1:33 PM
thanks all,

i've been to a few antique stores and a boot sale thus far and found nothing i would buy. only one old heavily pitted gouge. i will be getting back out ther in a few weeks.

cheers,

dan

Billy Elliott
06-29-2008, 9:54 PM
I will be in cambridge the 1st week of August. I will be very busy, but one of the British Chaps I will be meeting with is a woodworker. I will let you know if I find anything of interest.

Dan Barr
06-30-2008, 6:37 AM
you can tell your friend to give me a call if he'd like.

my mobile number here in the UK is 07770 740 573.

cheers,

dan

Ken Werner
06-30-2008, 3:10 PM
Hey Dan, it's none of my business of course, but whatcha doing in England?
Ken

Dan Barr
07-07-2008, 2:26 PM
I'm in the U.S. Air force.

I'm stationed at RAF mildenhall and live here now. three years is a good bit of time to rust hunt in this country.

Still looking and having a hard time getting up early enough to actually make it to the boot sales. being that they open at 0700 and close around noon.

cheers,

dan

Ken Werner
07-07-2008, 2:40 PM
But when you do get to the boot sales, I imagine you might be able to find some really cool stuff. Good luck. Also, eBay in the UK sometimes has some nice tools, that sell for less due to the smaller market, and the cost of shipping to the US.