PDA

View Full Version : African Bees

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-21-2008, 7:17 PM
In New Jersey; Hunterdon County I saw a bee the other day that flew like a wasp, very aggressive fast and some what frenetic. Today was one again and I smacked the sucker and popped it in a little vial of Alcohol.

Even close up it's not a was, hornet, or yellow jacket it's a honey bee but, a different honey bee than I'm used to.

I'm asking the state Apiarist for info on these things and if there is a point person in NJ for this sort of thing.

Al Wasser
06-22-2008, 10:29 AM
If you have a Cooperative Extension Service in your area, I would give them a call. If not the bee keepers should know if the aggressive bees have reached your area

Fred Voorhees
06-22-2008, 9:12 PM
Oh great, killer bees in Hunterdon County. I'M IN HUNTERDON COUNTY! I guess the naked romps around the compound here in Ringoes has to stop now:p

Bill Cunningham
06-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh great, killer bees in Hunterdon County. I'M IN HUNTERDON COUNTY! I guess the naked romps around the compound here in Ringoes has to stop now:p

Hmmm mabe you 'can' Bee all you can Bee.. Is it True? do African Bees 'really' have bigger stingers?:D

Mike Henderson
06-23-2008, 12:30 AM
There's a good article on Africanized bees in wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee).

Mike

Randy Cohen
06-23-2008, 8:38 AM
I'm a beekeeper and AHB are not known to be in NJ. They look like regular honey bees but a bit smaller. Can you post a picture?

Lee Schierer
06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree, I thought the only way to tell the africanized bees from the one's we've had for years was by microscopic study. I don't think you can tell them by eye. It is possible that a migratory beekeeper brought some from Florida to New Jersey with his other hives.

Africanized honey bees are noticeably more agressive than the domesticated strains we are used to . I am thankful they don't like cold weather so they won't be staying around here (NW PA)

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm a beekeeper and AHB are not known to be in NJ. They look like regular honey bees but a bit smaller. Can you post a picture?

No digital camera but Yah this bee is a tad smaller and flys fast and frenetic.

Ben Rafael
06-23-2008, 1:35 PM
Maybe it was just a bee with an attitude problem?

Randy Cohen
06-23-2008, 4:14 PM
theres a lot of things that can get a honey bee going like that without regard for its genetics. different shampoos and soaps can attract them with their particular odor. she's just checking you out Cliff.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-23-2008, 5:47 PM
theres a lot of things that can get a honey bee going like that without regard for its genetics. different shampoos and soaps can attract them with their particular odor. she's just checking you out Cliff.

Nope it's not a EHB. Smaller, darker, more-er different-er.

I used to work with bees. I know EHBs pretty well. I'm most certain this one is not a EHB

Benjamin Dahl
06-23-2008, 6:51 PM
Cliff, I am interested in seeing what you find out. A few years ago no one would have believed we would have West Nile Virus in this country and now it is in almost every state. Keep us updated.
Ben