PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Ohio Box Elder Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
06-21-2008, 8:26 AM
I've been working on this one for a few months, off and on, as I have found the time (which hasn't been much). It is a Box Elder Bowl from a log I picked up just down from my old home where I grew up. It started out to be an HF but got to thin on the top. The day I went by to see my old home the tree service was cutting down a big Box Elder and they were kind enough to give me a few logs. The bowl is 10 3/4" X 4" X 3/32" thick. it is sanded to 600 grit and finished with lacquer. It is the thinnest and lightest bowl I have ever done. Sorry about the picture quality.:)

Bob Hallowell
06-21-2008, 8:38 AM
As Always it looks very nice, But were you been?

Bob

Christopher K. Hartley
06-21-2008, 8:55 AM
Thanks Bob. You name it I've probably been there or close by, even your area but just no time to do anything but work.:)
As Always it looks very nice, But were you been?

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2008, 9:52 AM
Beautiful bowl Chris! Amazingly thin! Would have made one heck of a nice hollow form.... but we are sometimes offered design options while turning!

If you ever get through this part of the woods - and have a little time - be sure to stop in!

Mitchell Cholewinski
06-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Christopher
Very nice work,well done. I like it. Mitch

Robert McGowen
06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
That is very nice. I really like the way you finished off the bottom of the bowl.

Jim Becker
06-21-2008, 1:09 PM
I like the undercut rim, etc., on that Christopher. Very nice piece!

Nancy Laird
06-21-2008, 2:01 PM
One word: BEAUTIFUL!!!

David Newson
06-21-2008, 4:32 PM
Chris - Nice bowl and finish, you will have to keep it away from draughts or it might fly away, I'm sure it gave you a great satisfaction when you managed to get it that thin and stay in one piece, a great job.

Paul Engle
06-21-2008, 5:17 PM
Nice bowl Christopher, I like the finish and the undercut rim is spot on for sure.... but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy .....:eek:

steven carter
06-21-2008, 9:22 PM
Beautiful bowl Chris. I haven't tried box elder yet but hope to get my hands on some. My son is a golf course superintendent and he called to have me come cut a limb from a box elder, but it was rotten and full of ants. Hopefully better luck next time.

Steve

Christopher K. Hartley
06-22-2008, 9:58 AM
Thanks everyone, I was doing some experimenting and thought I would share these pics with you of the bowl with back lighting. Just thought it was interesting. Black is where the bottom and spalting are.:eek::)

Ben Gastfriend
06-22-2008, 7:17 PM
Really nice bowl. It's a shame that it wouldn't stay as a HF. Woulda looked real nice. Neat effect with the backlight.

lynn smith
06-22-2008, 7:23 PM
Back lighting COOL!!
Makes me think that a wall medallion turned that thin with a backlight would look cool.
Nice bowl, very interesting colors in box elder.

Bill Noce
06-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Chris
Very nice bowl........got question for you where in Northeast Ohio were you? Resaon for asking I am in Northeast Ohio near Erie Pa.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-23-2008, 1:37 PM
Stow Rd. in Stow, Ohio:)
Chris
Very nice bowl........got question for you where in Northeast Ohio were you? Resaon for asking I am in Northeast Ohio near Erie Pa.