PDA

View Full Version : I think I messed up

Chris Ricker
06-21-2008, 8:04 AM
Earlier this year(May) I had a maple tree stump ground in the yard, I took the waste groundings and put them in the vegie garden:eek:, now the vegies look terrible. After 3 weeks in the ground, the plants are not growing and turning yellow. I think there is too much acid in the soil now.

We usually have the best garden in the hood. I add compost and manure every fall and tend it well, we always have plenty of peppers and tomatoes to share:D.

I was thinking of getting a bag or 2 of lime and adding it to the soil and watering well. Do you think this will work and, is there such a thing as adding too much lime?

I plan to have the soil tested at the local nursery before I add the lime.

BTW, we have recently had a hot streak in the weather it was in the 90's for a while but has been cooler for the last 4-5 days.

Thanks for the input.:)

David Freed
06-21-2008, 8:16 AM
This is a direct quote from another forum.

"When using sawdust in gardens always add extra nitrogen, because the decay bacteria will use all available nitrogen and leave the plants with the "yellows." Eventually the nitrogen is freed, but that may take a year or two."

If you sidedress a few times with nitrogen, you may be able to salvage your garden this year.

julie Graf
06-21-2008, 8:23 AM
ditto david. i add nitrogen when i mulch with sawdust and i haven't had a problem. i mulch a lot with sawdust, but mostly around flowers/bushes.

Jim Becker
06-21-2008, 9:15 AM
Not always the best idea to add "fresh" chips directly to the soil without composting them first unless you add additional amendments. The comments about nitrogen depletion are spot on.

Greg Peterson
06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Several times during the summer I usually water my roses, shrubs and perennials via a hose end sprayer roughly containing one cup ammonia and one cup dish washing detergent, and the rest of fill with water. Jerry Baker has written several books about gardening and lawn care and this ammonia dish washing recipe shows up regularly. But don't take my word for it, just google it and you will see this is an excellent way to quickly get nitrogen to your plants.

Ammonia - almost pure nitrogen. Plants will eat it up immediately. Good kick starter.

Dish washing detergent - breaks the surface tension of the soil, allowing the ammonia to get down to the roots.

Wood chips or sawdust adds humus to the soil, which is great. However it can take a while and in the meantime will consume most of the available nitrogen.

If it were me, I would water the garden with the ammonia/dish washing soap mixture now and amend the beds with a high nitrogen content fertilizer. Come back in a few days and see if the plants are responding. Another application of the ammonia / dish washing soap might be warranted.

Good luck.

julie Graf
06-21-2008, 1:00 PM
that is a great tip - the ammonia/dish washing soap. i will have to try that once i get a hose in the backyard... so many projects, so little time!

Chris Ricker
06-22-2008, 1:33 PM
Thanks for the advice :)
I just applied the Ammonia/dishsoap brew.
we'll see what happens, I'll keep you posted.
We are expecting rain/sun for the next several days so it should be good for the garden.
Thanks again.:D

Chris Ricker
06-26-2008, 6:49 PM
The garden seems to be doing well, thanks to all who replied.
The peppers are sprouting new growth and the 'maters have turned green again. It's only been 5 days!!:)
Throughout this fiasco I have lost only one 'mater and two cuke's but everything else is doing much better.
I have not added any granular fertilizer yet but will soon(its been raining a lot).

When do you think I should I apply the next ammonia/dishsoap brew?
Thanks again.

BTW, Today I ordered some Griz tools

GO513x2 17" band saw
GO634 Jointer/plainer w/ spiral cutter
And
CO651 10" cab. saw w/ riving knife:D

They are due to arrive in the middle of July(at my request)
stay tuned for reviews:)

Many, Many thanks to all who responded to my previous questions.

hey.... I think I just hijacked my own thread!!:(

Greg Peterson
06-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Stealth gloat. Pretty good.

I don't know how long the nitrogen will persist in your soil. Here's a few things you might ponder.

The added nitrogen should aid the breakdown of the sawdust you amended to your soil. Break down quicker.

You might want to just monitor your plants and weather and get a feel for the interval between applications. I suspect that until your sawdust fully breaks down you may likely be supplementing your garden with the amonia/soap mix. Plants and sawdust will be competing for the stuff.

Not very scientific, but that's the best I can do for ya. Very glad to hear that your plants are on the mend.