PDA

View Full Version : Roundover bits...how big in a handheld router?

Michael Donahue
06-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Hey all. I'm working on an electric guitar body made of poplar and need to round over the edges. I have it up to a 1/2" radius bit now, but I was thinking that a bigger round over would look good with the design I'm using, but I presently only have access to a hand-held router (but with variable speed if I need it).

How big can I go safely without a table? 5/8"? 3/4"? I appreciate your help folks!

-Mike

Spencer Hochstetler
06-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Light passes, and a 3/4" roundover is easily doable with a handheld router.

Jim Becker
06-21-2008, 9:57 AM
Light passes, and a 3/4" roundover is easily doable with a handheld router.

And perhaps at a little reduced speed due to the larger physical diameter of the cutter for additional safety. I suggest that the workpiece also be clamped securely to the bench.

john bateman
06-21-2008, 10:04 AM
1) Hopefully that outer has a 1/2" collet, as there are no 3/4" radius bits with a 1/4" shaft.

2) You may need to modify the baseplate, or make a new baseplate with a larger opening, as the upper portion of a 3/4r bit is 2" diameter. Check first.

pat warner
06-21-2008, 10:19 AM
How big can I go safely without a table? 5/8"? 3/4"? I appreciate your help folks!
1/2"

J.R. Rutter
06-21-2008, 7:28 PM
I've done big roundovers (like 1 1/4" radius) handheld. Just lower the bit in increments so that you are not removing a huge amount of material. I did have to remove the little ears that hold bushings on my M12V to run that big profile.

Peter Quinn
06-21-2008, 9:10 PM
I've done 1 1/2" radius on a hand held router; its like a helicopter taking off. A few tips?

Reduce speed accordingly for the size bit you are using, use an extended or off set base as you DO NOT want your router to tip spinning a bit that big, take light passes and hold on with BOTH hands tight. The off set base I use is essentially a small router table to which the router is bolted which allows you to move around the work. I was doing countertops that were 3" thick and 12' long, for smaller work like a guitar body make sure the work is well secured. A 15A router is necessary for larger bits, and in any event most smaller routers do not have a hole bit enough to fit a large bit anyway.

I have done inside radius cuts that had to be climb cut, and for that a good stance and great care are necessary. I can still count to ten. I'd guess some climb cutting will be necessary for an electric guitar body. I'd practice on some test stock to get the pace right.

Bob Swenson
06-22-2008, 3:58 PM
The Festool OF2200 EB will easily swing a 2 & 3/4 bit.
This bad boy hand held shaper is awesome and will soon be
the darling of every drag racing router jockey in wood working.

Jim, clamping the work piece goes with out saying. :cool:

Bob

Per Swenson
06-22-2008, 4:11 PM
What Bob fails to mention is we have a of2200 for testing and review.

We plan on pushing the limits, not of safety, but the concept of hand held shaping.

I had the opportunity while at the Festool training center to push the bit shown below through both solid surface and cherry.

This was after I watched Steve bace do it and I was 20 feet away,

thinking this can't be good. I was wrong, sunofabling runs like a hand held shaper.

It also weighs a little over 18 lbs and is perfectly balanced.

We plan on breaking the mold by making both a cabinet and a exterior door by hand. Then let all the chips fall in the dust collector.

Have a look at these. The cherry picture shows the 2mm offset for your second pass.

Per