PDA

View Full Version : Bremerton / Silverdale Area Woodworkers

Steve Benson
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok, so i am in the Navy and will be stationed out in Bangor, Wa and am wondering if anyone is looking for a parttime apprentice or student to teach. Basically i did some wood work as a kid, and have gotten back into it pretty in depth but my learning curve isnt very steap as i really have no one to teach me. I have taken a few classes at Woodcraft but the local store is more focused on turning than other aspects. I am kind of looking for someone to teach me if they have free time in that area. I have made a few projects over the past year that have turned out pretty decent. I am a quick learner am very proficient with design and sketchup its execution with tools and the best ways to do things that i would like help with. I am married with kids so i cant really go back to school for this but i love building things and would like to get as much instruction as possible.

If you are a cabinet maker i have no problem doing very repetitive work for just the knowledge of how to make cabinets. I will do menial tasks.

If you are a Furniture maker i will do anything around the shop you need of an assistant.

If you are just a nice person willing to teach i would honestly appreciate it.

Thanks Everyone
Steve

Joe Pelonio
06-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the beautiful Pacific Northwest Steve. We're across the water (east) but plan to move to the Silverdale/Poulsbo area within the next few years.

I wish I knew someone over that way, the nearest cabinetmaker I know that might be willing is in Bellevue, and that's a ferry ride plus 25 miles.

I do have a friend in Silverdale but he's probably below your level, mainly just finishes burls for his bonsai displays.

Hopefully someone else will help. If not, when you get here you will find at least a dozen cabinetmakers in the area, plus about the same number of furniture makers and you can always check here for turning contacts:

http://www.opcaaw.com/

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2008, 7:30 AM
Welcome to the Creek Steve!

Hopefully some members close to there will chime up. I used to get there when my youngest son was stationed on the USS Carl Vinson.

Steve Benson
06-22-2008, 7:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully there is someone there that will be able to help me out. Thanks again.
Steve

Don Abele
06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Steve, welcome to the Creek.

When I was stationed in Bangor in the late '90's I bought a bunch of Jet tools from a company called DSC Industrial. (http://www.dscindustrial.com/)

They are located in Poulsbo (which is where I lived). They have a nice showroom with a lot of tools setup as well as a huge collection of hand tools and accessories. They were knowledgeable about the tools and even gave me some "lessons" with excellent tips.

While they don't teach, they may be able to refer you to someone in the area. IIRC they are the only local dealer for Jet on the peninsula so should have contact with a lot of woodworkers.

Best of luck.

Take care,

Doc