PDA

View Full Version : OSB or Plywood for Roof Sheating?

Lance Norris
06-20-2008, 6:57 PM
I have to put a roof on my shed tomorrow and will be replacing the sheating. Is OSB acceptable or should I go the extra few dollars for plywood? Ive never used OSB, and I know people use it for sheating, but I want some opinions about how well it lasts and its workability. Is it as strong as ply? I will be using 3/4" whatever. How much cheaper is it over sheating grade ply? Thanks.

Bill Dunn jr
06-20-2008, 7:41 PM
Hi Lance,

OSB is fine to use for your roof. Why are you using 3/4"? You can safely use 1/2" even if the rafters or trusses are on 24" centers. If they are on 24" you need to get clips to put on the edge of the plywood in between each one. One big advantage to OSB is that you can run it in any direction so it saves a little on material. By the way put the rough side up.

Good luck

Ben Grunow
06-20-2008, 7:53 PM
We build expensive homes in a region where builders frown on OSB mostly because it was invented to be cheap and for anyone who has worked with plywood, it is a compromise. My biggest complaint is that it is harder than plywood and seems to resist a hand driven nail more than ply. I have on used a couple pieces and have never really read anything bad about it. Satisfy your budget as far as I am concerned.

Code around here is 5/8" sheathing for roofs.

Plywood on my house anyway.

Matt Ocel
06-20-2008, 8:05 PM
OH NO-
Not the plywood vs osb question.

OSB all the way!

Lance Norris
06-21-2008, 12:49 AM
OK-OSB is what I will use. I want to use 3/4 because a facia is nailed into it. Thanks for the advice.

Chris Damm
06-21-2008, 8:33 AM
OK-OSB is what I will use. I want to use 3/4 because a facia is nailed into it. Thanks for the advice.

The facia should be nailed to the rafters. Nails will not hold nailed into the edge of OSB or plywood!

Lee Koepke
06-21-2008, 8:42 AM
Chris is correct about edge nailing.

Recently someone posted a link to OSB research. Currently, OSB and Plywood are considered structurally compatible in the eyes of code officials.

Right now in my local area ... 1/2" plywood = 13.00 / sheet 1/2" osb = 5.40 ( rough numbers .. )

1/2 " should be fine for a shed, 5/8" would typically be used for houses.

Mike Cutler
06-21-2008, 9:03 AM
OSB comes in a multitude of "formulations", for lack of a better expression. Ensure that you are picking the correct OSB for the application. Interior subfloor, exterior sheathing, roofing etc. Plywood has to be selected properly also.
Go to the American Plywood Association webpage ( http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=prd_osb_main ) to learn how to interpret all of the codes that will be stamped on both Plywood, and OSB. These codes, and ratings dictate how the product is installed in a given installation. Georgia Pacific has a lot of info available also.

The most important thing is to select the correct product for your application. Be it plywood, or OSB.

As for the OSB versus PLywood. I favor plywood personally. Properly selected, and installed, I still believe it deflect less than OSB, and is inherently stronger due to the orientation of the alternating grain structure. My own whacked opinion solely.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-21-2008, 9:14 AM
Factor the added weight in to the equation.
You gotta get the sheets on the roof and if you do it like me (using a ladder) you will prefer plywood.

Wade Jacoby
06-21-2008, 9:51 AM
Factor the added weight in to the equation.
You gotta get the sheets on the roof and if you do it like me (using a ladder) you will prefer plywood.

I prefer plywood for that very reason. Price difference was never much of an issue around here, they are usually pretty close in price.

Nonetheless, most of the homes I see going up get OSB. I guess if you build houses for a living even small cost differences add up, but for my own personal uses I'll take the plywood.