PDA

View Full Version : Ash Vase

David Newson
06-20-2008, 4:47 PM
My first bit of turning since my back operation, and its been a real pleasure to stand at the lathe and have no pain, Ash vase measures 7" x 3" with a wax finish, welcome to any comments and critique.

Paul Engle
06-20-2008, 5:17 PM
Glad your back is up for it David , and I was going to ask if it was English Ash ... and I woke up..... , i just refurbused an older Stanley 1 1/2" chisel using an older Sorby Ash handle I had left from a bg ...and I like the ash very much , very strong , the customer though it was oak and had to show him the left over part. Nice work on the vase indeed !

Clara Koss
06-20-2008, 8:34 PM
so happy you feel better and that the surgery was successful!!!! nice turning!!!!

Richard Madison
06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
David,
Welcome back to you and your back! That is a lovely piece of ash.

Norm Zax
06-21-2008, 3:57 AM
Welcome back. easy on the back now, ey?

Bob Hallowell
06-21-2008, 8:37 AM
David the vase turned out very nice. Gald your doing better.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2008, 9:47 AM
David - hope this means we will be seeing a lot more of your work real soon!

I really like the form on this vase - don't see to many footed vases over here. Very pleasing shape (slight ogee), love the detail work on the pedestal and the finish gives the piece a soft look. Very nice work - as always!

What piece do you have to turn for your club's next competition?

David Newson
06-21-2008, 4:24 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing and kind words, Steve the next club competition is for composite turning ? I think the criteria is for the piece to consist of two made up elements, at our next meeting there will be a demo, then the following month for the competition,I'll keep you informed what it is,thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2008, 3:21 PM
Good to see you back and turning a excellent piece. Hope to see more soon.

Ben Gastfriend
06-22-2008, 7:15 PM
Glad to hear you can get back to turning. THe form there is just amazing. Very nice work.