PDA

View Full Version : things never to do when weedwacking

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 9:42 AM
i thought that you guys might fidn this kinda funny, sucks for me though.

when you are weedwacking/trimming, never never never, stop to take a leak, never never. unless of course you go in and wash your hands first. or you could get some really uncomfortable poison ivy:(:mad::eek:. oh yeah, never touch your face either.

i was cuting some little trees and branches with one of those blade attatchements. that was fun, but some how it threw poison ivy to my hands.

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2008, 9:54 AM
Been there.....done that......and I'm extremely allergic to it. I've had it so bad that.......well.....does covered head to toes give you an idea??!!!! :(

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 10:08 AM
i get it really bad, to the point where it shows up about 6 hours after contact. for some reason i just havent learned yet that i get poison easy. when i was like 9 i cut a poison ivy vine open not knowing what it was, and then got the juices right on my face. my eyes where so swollen, to open them i had to use my hands to open them

Bob Rufener
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Sounds nasty! I have a friend who, in the days of his youth, did what normal frenzied hormonal youth do. Unfortunately, they picked an area with poison ivy in it. Kinda hard to explain to your parents the source of your swelling and itching.

David G Baker
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I have been lucky for years. I had it a lot when I was a kid. The last time I got the Ivy Rash was when I was part of a TV news camera crew covering a large fire in Northern California. I never went near any areas that were not totally burned and the rash didn't show until a week later. The same thing happened to the cameraman.
Never did get any in the groin area and can't imagine the misery that would cause.

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
oflmao! thats funny.

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 10:38 AM
gotta remember not to ich or it make cause some funny looks.

if you got it covering a fire you got it from the air, there must have been burning ivy

Ben Rafael
Also wash your hands after working with CA glue and before going to the bathroom.

Bryan Rocker
That is extremely funny!! Having said that, in my work for our Habitat affiliate, the city donates lots for us to build on. Well the lots generally haven't had people on them in years and the poison ivy is extremely bad. It can be a real problem....Look at it this way you have a reason for some TLC from your mate ;)

Bryan

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
ben, that one is obvious. but then again has anyone seen the show with gene simmons, where a epoxys his hand to one of carrot heads "props"?

Justin Leiwig
06-20-2008, 11:36 AM
ben, that one is obvious. but then again has anyone seen the show with gene simmons, where a epoxys his hand to one of carrot heads "props"?

I have never laughed so hard as I did during that episode. Funniest TV moment ever if you ask me.

It's even worse though when your girlfriend gets poison ivy on her stomach and her boyfriend was known to have poison ivy in certain "areas" of his body. Try explaining that one next time you went over to her house! :p

Jim O'Dell
06-20-2008, 1:10 PM
Wile we're on this touchy subject....:rolleyes: I grew up with a kid that was in the cub scouts in the 4th grade. His troup went on an overnight camp out. They dug their own latrines, etc. Well, I guess he didn't get an arrow for that trip, 'cause he failed to recognize the poison ivy when he went to wipe. :eek::eek::eek: Poor boy couldn't walk for a while. His name? M. Crouch. :) Jim.

Doug Shepard
06-20-2008, 1:28 PM
Thanks for posting that. I'm going to write that down so I don't forget it.
......never go into the weeds for wacking.
Got it.

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 1:45 PM
DOUG! you cant say that, ha ha ha, thats a funny twist of words.

Jim, i got a better story than that. 4 years ago when i became a boyscout, we were camping at a place that had a huge feild and the whole feild was burn hasel. we had this one kid who you could get to do anything, we even lit his hand on fire after covering it with spray. we said we would give him 10$ to run through it in just his underwear. (there were other people there or it wouldve been funnier!) he ran through, got half way, turned around and looked at us and said that he didnt feel anything at all. so being dumb, he walked back slowly. by the time he got to the edge, he was almost crying. he swelled up real good.

Mark Springer
06-20-2008, 4:18 PM
Or when you are handling habanero peppers that you have sliced a little piece off of. Buddy of mine found that out the hard way.

Bryan Berguson
06-20-2008, 5:29 PM
Sounds nasty! I have a friend who, in the days of his youth, did what normal frenzied hormonal youth do. Unfortunately, they picked an area with poison ivy in it. Kinda hard to explain to your parents the source of your swelling and itching.

So Bob, how did you explain it to your parents? :D

Bryan

Jim Becker
06-20-2008, 7:49 PM
"Ouch"

Watch out for the ticks, too... ;)

I'm very glad that poison ivy doesn't really affect me. (nor do ticks go for me) But Professor Dr. SWMBO is very susceptible to both and we have a lot of it on our property. Uncontrollably so. Relative to the ticks, I pulled one off Nastia's neck today.

curtis rosche
06-20-2008, 8:16 PM
i pulled of 2 yesterday. and 3 the day before. the ticks seem to be nasty this year

Ben Rafael
06-20-2008, 11:28 PM

I agree it's obvious, but I bet someone has done it.

Eddie Watkins
06-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Don't weedwhack in shorts, either:rolleyes:. Years ago when I got my first computer job I worked in an office with some older guys. One guy decided to educate us young guys on things like black widow spiders, brown recluses, poison ivy, etc. Every day he would bring something in so we could see it "up close". One day he brought in some poison ivy and one guy said he wasn't alergic to it and went about demonstrating by picking it up and rubbing it all over both arms. Next day he had blisters everywhere and ended up going to the doctor for shots. It really made him sick. I still chuckle when I think about how stupid that was.:D

Eddie

Gary Herrmann
06-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Don't weedwhack in shorts, either:rolleyes:. Years ago when I got my first computer job I worked in an office with some older guys. One guy decided to educate us young guys on things like black widow spiders, brown recluses, poison ivy, etc. Every day he would bring something in so we could see it "up close". One day he brought in some poison ivy and one guy said he wasn't alergic to it and went about demonstrating by picking it up and rubbing it all over both arms. Next day he had blisters everywhere and ended up going to the doctor for shots. It really made him sick. I still chuckle when I think about how stupid that was.:D

Eddie

Don't need an education. When I see a brown recluse I whack it with a chunk of firewood 10 or 15 times.

I've cleared a lot of brushy areas and I know some of them had posion ivy, so either it doesn't bother me much, or I got really lucky. I do not want to test that.

Stephen Beckham
06-21-2008, 4:17 PM
I know you didn't ask for it, but if you're still suffering - you cannot beat ZANFEL? It's about $30 per oz and yes - well worth it...

Steve

David Sallee
06-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I guess I'm 1 of the few lucky ones.. I'm not allergic to poison ivy or oak and never have been .... matter of fact and speaking of weed whackin.. I actually done some weed whackin today and did go through some poison ivy AND in shorts mind you.... so far no problems...

Now watch me blow up like a balloon by morning.. LOL now that I said I wasn't allergic... :eek:

Dave

Lance Norris
06-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I have learned the hard way that PI is not something I want to be close to. If I know I have been in contact with it, I shower immediately with Lava brand soap. If you dont have Lava, a mechanics hand cleaner with Pumice works also. If you have blisters, a Styptic Pencil works well. Wet the pencil and rub the blisters with it. If you really have it bad and cant take the itch, Bleach. I had it between my fingers and the blisters were so big, they were starting to touch each other. I soaked my hands for maybe 45 seconds, and within a day, no more blisters. Then the skin comes off. It can be painful and I dont recommend it, but it does work.

curtis rosche
06-22-2008, 11:59 AM
stephen, i tried the zanfel, it hasnt worked on my face, which is where i have a lot of it. my cheeks are so swollen under my eyes that it feels and looks like i am squinting, the "bags under my eyes, are almost toughing my eyes. this really sucks. lance, i have a different soap that works just as well, but i am so allergic to it that i got it bad anyways

Joe Mioux
06-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I have never had any problem with Poison Ivy etc, until two years ago.

I got into Poison Sumac on a hot humid Sunday. Needless to say, I got it on my arms, my midsection and around my waist.

It would come and go two days good 4 days hives. this went on for several weeks.

Used every over the counter medicine I could find. Ivarest worked well for temporary relief.

I finally called my Dr sister and she prescribed a Prednisone (sp?) pak.

WOW did that work!

I don't want to deal with that again. so next week is RoundUP week around and through the fence rows that border my back and side yard.

Joe

curtis rosche
06-22-2008, 3:52 PM
thats a steroid though,,

Stephen Beckham
06-22-2008, 8:26 PM
Joe be careful - even when it's dead, it can be deadly... Don't burn it and don't think its dead so you can cut it without getting any on you... Sorry if stating the obvious - it wasn't so obvious to me when I had my first Sumac bout... It won both rounds...

John Shuk
06-22-2008, 8:50 PM
Poison Ivy and the like are pretty nasty. I'm not highly bothered by it either but repeated exposure can increase your sensitivity to it.
Weedwacking in shorts is pretty much asking for trouble in my book.
Too much stuff flying at high speed. I usually wear a full face mask when I do it as well.
I'm using a very heavy duty Stihl FS 120R when I weedwack but even a small piece of something from a small machine at high speed can mess you up.

Jim Becker
06-22-2008, 9:48 PM
I agree with you, John. I wear my chainsaw helmet when weed whacking over my safety glasses. That gives me a full mesh mask and hearing protection in the same package. When I'm really awake, I even remember to put on a long sleeve shirt...

Bill Cunningham
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm not bothered by PI or PO, (although I 'have' been POed from time to time:D) when I was a 11 year old kid, I had a saddle cinch break on me and send me skidding through a big patch.. My buddies all said I was doomed!!!.. But nothing! ... However, these 'buddies' were the same ones that convinced me I should pee on that fence over there!:rolleyes:

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM
peein on the fence is fun. they did that on mythbusters

David Romano
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did a similar thing when eating hot chilis at a Mexican restaurant. (I was playing with the seeds with my fingers) A few minutes after sitting back down, it started to burn. Realizing what had happened, I ran back to the bathroom to remedy the situation and began to think of Ben Stiller movies where someone might wonder "what the heck that guy is doing in the stall?" At least my suffering was temporary.