PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Jim Onofrio
06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey everyone,

My name is Jim, and I just joined this forum yesterday. I'm relatively new at woodworking, and just from browsing through some of the past threads, I feel I've opened up an encyclopedia of information. I just finished a small picture frame project that I actually think I did a decent job with!:D I have a small shop (144 sq/ft) so I'm somewhat limited to doing small projects, which is fine for now. I do have a question though, I was wondering what the general opinion is on Ridgid power tools? Over the last 6 months, I've acquired the Ridgid 14" Bandsaw, 6 1/8" jointer/planer, and the 2410LS table saw. I did a lot of research online, and read a lot of different reviews, and they all seemed favorable on these machines. So far, they all seem to work just fine, but that's to an inexperienced eye. I welcome any thoughts, advice, or opinions. Thanks!

ps: here's the frame I made if anyone's interested

Denny Rice
06-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the creek! :)

gary Zimmel
06-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jim...

Gary Breckenridge
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the Creek.:DYou will do well with the Ridgid tools.

NICK BARBOZA
06-20-2008, 12:38 AM
nice work Jim. Ridgid tools will serve you well for quite a while. I own both the bandsaw and the Jointer. They work well for what they are. I like the bandsaw alot but have been somewhat disappointed with the jointer. But as with most things, it is all relative to it's price tag.

Good luck,
Nick

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2008, 6:27 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jim! Like most manufacturers...some Ridgid tools are pretty good...some....well....

I have the TS3650 t/s and their thickness planer. They have both served me well.

John Keeton
06-20-2008, 6:42 AM
Jim, Welcome!

Can't offer anything on Rigid tools, but on the picture frame - really nice project. The style is great, well balanced, and good work generally.

Enjoy the creek! You won't need to look far to realize that there are many masters in SMC, and the learning never stops. The only problem is that it can be an addiction. I have to have 2 things every day - coffee and SMC!!

Jack Camillo
06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
For many years I built book cases, wall units, kitchen islands, etc., with portable power tools like rigid and plastic saw horses., etc. Only a couple years ago did I begin acquiring the 'best' tools. Just mean to say, you don't need a cadillac to drive to work. Those tools are fine if you go about your work with care, and it appears from your frame that you have woodworking blood. Later on, if you continue (and your priorities warrant), you'll appreciate getting the cadillacs. I'm just glad I didn't find forums like this before I could afford it...

Bruce Page
06-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Welcome to SMC Jim.
Ditto what Jack said, I did a lot of decent stuff with my old Craftsman tablesaw, sanders, etc, before upgrading to heavier duty machines - as my budget allowed.
I don’t have any personnel experience with Ridgid tools but my general impression of them has always been good.

Your beautiful picture frame is proof that you don’t need a "Cadillac" to do nice work.

Lee Schierer
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the Creek, take off your shoes and pick out a rock and cool your feet!!!

I have never used Rigid tools, but they are better than nothing. I made my first project for LOML with a$14 B&D jig saw and a craftsman router. THat was 35 years ago. It was a sewing cabinet. SHe still has it, uses it regularly and won't even talk about replacing it.

Remember it isn't the tool, but the skill of the user that is the final result. You may have to check your set ups 14 times before making a cut to get it right, but if you take your time and get to know the capabilites and failings of your tools you can generally work around them. There may come a time when you will want to upgrade all or part of your equipment. My TS is a Craftsman with an upgraded fence and miter gauge. I bought the saw almost 20 years ago and it was what I could afford for my hobby while buying a house and providing for amy family. It has made lots of projects.

Lance Norris
06-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Jim...I have the Ridgid bandsaw and after a few tweeks, it is a great saw. I also have a larger Grizzly bandsaw and use them both quite a bit. As your skils grow and you tackle more ambitious projects, you may find the Ridgid bandsaw a little underpowered. This is the only limitation Ive found to a good, light-medium duty bandsaw. Jim... there is a Ridgid forum with lots of good info about the tools. There isnt as much traffic there as there is here, but you will find many people with Ridgid only equipped shops. They are just as helpful as we are here.