PDA

View Full Version : Gloat!! Christopher Schwarz

Dave Lehnert
06-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Had a chance to visit Popular Woodworking Magazine shop tonight. Got Christopher Schwarz to Autograph a copy of the Workbench book. Kinda cool to see the bench on the cover in the same spot.

At the risk of giving some info out that they may not want me to I wont go into detail. There is a new workbench taking shape in the shop. Something different for sure.

jerry nazard
06-20-2008, 1:15 AM
"At the risk of giving some info out that they may not want me to I wont go into detail. There is a new workbench taking shape in the shop. Something different for sure."

Humm... John White has joined PWW and is designing a "New-New-Fangled Workbench"?

Dewey Torres
06-20-2008, 1:36 AM
Great post... you should post more once you get started on your bench. That project seems to be quite a popular build and a great read for a thread.
Congrats on meeting CS!
Dewey

James Hart
06-20-2008, 1:59 AM
About 7 or 8 years ago I walked into a garage sale in Phoenix that advertised WW stuff.

I bought a full set of the first 100 or so issues of Woodsmith magazine.

Got talking to the guy and he had worked at Woodsmith since day 1. He took me into the garage and showed me a workbench with a sold tag on it. It was the actual bench that was on the cover of Woodsmith. I think it was one of the very first issues.

It had sold for $200. As happy as I was to get the mags for $50 i still kick myself that I didn't get there in time to pick up that bench.

Jim

Doug Shepard
06-20-2008, 5:43 AM
Very cool. I thought hard about going because I would have liked to check out the BCTW JointMaker Pro but I would have had to take time off work due to the distance (6 hrs roughly each way). Gas prices just added to the no-go decision. Hope they broadcast the next one simulcast on WKRP:D

Matt Meiser
06-20-2008, 7:53 AM
Chris is a genuinely nice guy. I took a class at Woodcraft with him and it was very enjoyable. Later that evening he joined our club for a get together at a local brew pub. I made the mistake of not buying my copy of his book that day, so mine didn't get autographed.

Alan Schwabacher
06-20-2008, 11:13 AM
There is a new workbench taking shape in the shop.

And when has this not been the case? I think Schwarz is addicted to new workbenches, and that it's contagious.

Dave Lehnert
06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes! Chris is very nice and interesting to talk to. I e-mailed him last night to thank him for everything and he responded back first thing this morning.
The workbench book will be the owners manual every woodworker will refer to when building a bench.
The bench I have been working on is more like a modified saw-horse. I kinda got the idea after reading about Japanise woodworking. How they use a planing beam and mini saw horses. Just a western twist. I got to thinking for a small shop why build a full size bench for hand tool work when it's the edge you use to clamp your wood. I built a small sawhorse that was in an issue of Shopnotes or Woodsmith. Kinda the same idea of my bench but much more basic than what I have in mind.