PDA

View Full Version : AVG question

Dan Bundy
06-19-2008, 6:07 PM
I recently upgraded my free AVG. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention as it installed and now I have the Yahoo search box on my Explorer toolbar. Can I get of it? If so how? Thanks. DB

Chris Padilla
06-19-2008, 6:13 PM
Right click on the toolbar and a window should pop up where you can uncheck the stuff you don't want.

However, to nuke it permanently, you need to remove the software via Remove/Add programs under the Control panel (I think this will work).

Dan Bundy
06-21-2008, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the tip about the right click deal; I had no idea.

I took a quick look through add/remove before I posted and didn't see Yahoo, just AVG, but I was in a hurry, so I'll take another look when I can do a closer study.

Thanks again. DB

David Freed
06-21-2008, 9:01 AM
Dan,

What version did you upgrade to, and how do you like it?

David G Baker
06-21-2008, 9:28 AM
Dan,
I have been bit by the Yahoo tool bar a couple of times due to my hurry and not really looking at what was going on during the download. The above suggestions are what I did to rid myself of the tool bar.

Neal Clayton
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
i'm told that AVG bought out ewido, which explains the extra stuff that you don't need in the newest AVG (ewido was one of the better spyware/malware scanning and removal tools, but you don't need that stuff 24/7).

there are instructions on this site for how to install the new AVG without the extra crap like the link scanner (or remove the link scanner if you installed it already..

http://www.danieljdoughty.com/2008/06/06/how-to-remove-link-scanner-from-avg8-anti-virus-scanner/

Dan Bundy
06-22-2008, 8:15 AM
Whatever the latest free version is -- 8, I think. I like it fine. It mostly works in the background, unless you want/need to do something with it. It can be set up to scan when the computer's not in use (i.e., 3 a.m. for me). I have no complaints, well, except for that Yahoo toolbar issue. DB

David Freed
06-22-2008, 9:42 AM
Whatever the latest free version is -- 8, I think. I like it fine. It mostly works in the background, unless you want/need to do something with it. It can be set up to scan when the computer's not in use (i.e., 3 a.m. for me). I have no complaints, well, except for that Yahoo toolbar issue. DB

I thought you meant you got a paid version. That is what I am intending to do.