PDA

View Full Version : Omnijig question

Steven Bolton
06-19-2008, 5:57 PM
I watched Norm's DVD. I thought you could make minature through dovetails with the standard fingers. He indicates you need to buy a special router bit and some depth stop controllers.

Confusing, because when you look at the assessories, I get the impression to do minatures you need to buy a whole new finger assembly.

Any thoughts.

Why no photos of completed joint? Strange product. It is like everyone is sworn to silence over this machine.

Steve Bolton

william Ku
06-19-2008, 8:43 PM
Took a quick look at the video after reading your post, and Norm says you can make miniature dovetails "with this accessory template," meaning the "Miniature Variable Finger Template," model# 77246.

So I guess you need to get the accessory template, which comes with bits, template-guides, and stops, although I don't think it is available yet.

This isn't to say that you can't make small dovetails with the standard Variable Finger Template, maybe just not as small.

In the video he shows a joint made with the miniature template.

Hope this helps

** IMHO the video with Norm sucks and is nothing more than an infomercial to get people to buy the thing. I don't think it was meant to be informative at all and is useless as a form of instruction--unless you find Norm commenting on how "robust" the tool is helpful to the operation of the jig. Having said that though, I have the jig and like it a lot.