PDA

View Full Version : Apple

Gary Max
06-19-2008, 3:45 PM
Well I just could not stand it anymore. This is the stump from the awesome apple tree. I hope to spend the weekend turning this.
Thought you folks might enjoy a few pics. I am guessing she will weigh in at about 250 lbs---she is still very wet.

Steve Knowlton
06-19-2008, 3:51 PM
Looks Like A Fun Piece To Turn. Hang On Tight When She Starts Turning.

Gary Max
06-19-2008, 4:23 PM
She will start on a face plate---I will be turning this on the Mustard Monster----Powermatic 4224---Take off will be around a 100 RPM's.

curtis rosche
06-19-2008, 4:24 PM
the peice in the second picture, DONT TURN IT AS IS!!!!!. from what i can see in the picture, that is were the tree split in two or where another tree grew next to it. it lookls like there is bark inbetween. that might be all that is holding it on. we dont want to see any accidents. now, if it is truley attatched at the other end, then that should be fine. other than that, great score. make sure you have enough dna for that bowl, i also hope you have a bowl coring system. if not that peice may be big enough to try with a chainsaw.

for something that big, when you do the dna, you might want to try a vacuum seal or something that you can suck the air out of, or that might be alot of dna.

just my thought

Jim Becker
06-19-2008, 5:04 PM
Yea, fresh cut apple can be somewhat, umm...moist. Splash time!!! You'll have fun with that apple!

Jim Underwood
06-19-2008, 5:19 PM
I imagine it's as wet as that Peach I turned a couple weeks back. I totally ruined a coupla shirts. They look as if I'd sprayed chewing tobacco all over the front. :o They'll only ever be used as turning shirts from now on out...

Gary Max
06-19-2008, 5:41 PM
And lets not forget the smell.

George Guadiane
06-19-2008, 5:51 PM
the peice in the second picture, DONT TURN IT AS IS!!!!!. from what i can see in the picture, that is were the tree split in two or where another tree grew next to it. it lookls like there is bark inbetween. that might be all that is holding it on. we dont want to see any accidents. now, if it is truley attatched at the other end, then that should be fine. other than that, great score. make sure you have enough dna for that bowl, i also hope you have a bowl coring system. if not that peice may be big enough to try with a chainsaw.

for something that big, when you do the dna, you might want to try a vacuum seal or something that you can suck the air out of, or that might be alot of dna.

just my thought
My thoughts too, that looks like it might hurt if it came apart, even at only 100RPM!

curtis rosche
06-19-2008, 7:53 PM
dont forget the taste, apple has a special taste to it. the wood and the sap. you arent actually going to turn it as is, are you gary?

Gary Max
06-19-2008, 8:19 PM
Heck I have turned stuff a lot bigger than this. We had to build a cherry picker/shop crane last year just to move blanks to the lathe.

Paul Heely
06-19-2008, 8:23 PM
I don't think its the size that has people worried but the big inclusion that runs from top to bottom.

--
Paul

curtis rosche
06-19-2008, 8:33 PM
yes, it is the inclusion, the size of the inclusion. if the inclusion was smaller it would still be an issue but not quite as dangerous. im with you for turning large objects. if i could i would have a huge lathe and do 5ft+ peices, but i cant. how thick were those cherry blanks that you needed a cherry picker? your lathe only fits a 24 inch peice right? or did you do outboard? also, as that peice drys out when you are turning, the force that the little bit of warping makes could push that peice off. then its either a broken lathe, a whole in the wall, a hole in a broken Gary, or all three.

lynn smith
06-20-2008, 1:04 AM
Are you going to make a video of you turning that?

Gary Max
06-21-2008, 7:41 PM
Instead of starting a war over this blank.
Do not try this at home----I do this for a living and I am nuts (when it comes to wood)
Here she is done
The inclusion is on the other side----this Turquoise inlay is in a Pith crack
that you did not see.
She is now taking a bath in a homebrew oil tank---about 20 gallons of the stuff

Tim A. Mitchell
06-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Nice looking piece of wood. Glad you turned it that way.

I appreciate that people were concerned for your safety, but you know your limits and experience level, as well as have an actual eye on the wood.