PDA

View Full Version : Which Carving Gouge for Nub Removal

Paul Heely
06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
In Ellsworth's and Grumbine's videos they both show how to use a carving gouge to remove the little nub left when reversing a piece and finishing the bottom with a jam chuck. I'd like to pick up a carving gouge but don't know what size/depth would be useful. Unfortunately I won't be to a store that actually carries these for a month or so and will probably end up ordering one. The little pictures in the catalogs are not very useful.

For anyone that is using one of these gouges to remove the little nub what size/depth would you recommend?

Thanks.
--
Paul

Frank Kobilsek
06-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Paul

A shallow gouge works fine, maybe a #3 or #5, 1/2 to 3/4 wide.

I gave up on the guoge method after I ran the gouge thru my finger. Put your 2" sanding disk to it and it will grind it right off.

Frank

Bruce Pennell
06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Paul I bought a carving set, but found my 2" disc sander worked much better like Frank said.

Mike Peace
06-19-2008, 1:52 PM
I was cutting off the nib with a flush cut saw and then using a chisel. I recently discovered it is easier to just strike the nib sharply with a gouge handle and it shears off at the surface. Then it only takes a teeny bit of sanding to smooth out.

Paul Heely
06-19-2008, 2:06 PM
The problem I've had with smacking it off is that in end grain pieces it tends to pull a chunk of wood right out of the bottom. Right now I saw off and then sand down the nub but wanted to try the carving gouge and see how I like that.

Thanks for the size recommendation Frank.

--
Paul

Scott Donley
06-19-2008, 3:23 PM
Paul, I also had the same problem. Now I also use the 2 inch disk. Works great.

Jim Becker
06-19-2008, 5:06 PM
I use a very shallow one...mine's a Flexcut as I don't have larger carving tools at present. And if you use that specially ground 1/4" spindle gouge that David espouses, you'll not really need a large gouge since the "nub" is almost not there if you are careful in how you part off the piece with it after reversing.

John Sheets
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Paul,
Look at the Swiss Made #5 sweep, 20 mm bent gouge at Woodcraft. This is what I bought for the technique you are referring to, and it works well.

Paul Heely
06-22-2008, 4:14 PM
Thanks John. I'll take a look at that one also.

--
Paul

David Wilhelm
06-23-2008, 5:54 AM
I've not seen the videos....... But i use a swept back 1/4 spindle gouges and remove as much as i can. Then i just use my wood chisel 1/4-1/2" to remove the bulk and power sand smooth.. Keep in mind that I keep them sharp and you don't try to take it all in one push.

robert hainstock
06-23-2008, 9:13 AM
Most carving tools are "pish" tools. I have an old 6 piece set and the one I use is sharpened from both sides and I simply push it into the wood slowly and it parts ala Grumbine. Very clean. The blade is about 3/8s" wide. It is a Stanley set (cheap). :):)
Bob

Burt Alcantara
06-23-2008, 5:28 PM
Having the same problem and not wanting to spend $20 for a carving tool, I slowed my lathe down to about 300 rpm and used my Harbor Freight spindle gouge just like a carving tool.

Well, waddayano, the nub came right off and the vessel did not get swallowed up in the dust collector. Just a little hand sanding and it's done.

For me, problem solved! Try it, you'll like it.

Burt