PDA

View Full Version : Radius plan question

Bob Rufener
06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
I am building a cradle for my cousin whos wife is expecting a beloved addition to their family this fall. On several of the corners of the cradle, the plan calls for R=1/2 or R=3/8. I believe I am correct in assuming that R=radius. On other projects that I have made, I usually use a cap of a size that makes the rounded corner pleasing. I probably will do this for this project but I would still like to know how you layout a 1/2" or 3/8" radius or of any other size. My curiousity is twitching.

Greg Hines, MD
06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I am building a cradle for my cousin whos wife is expecting a beloved addition to their family this fall. On several of the corners of the cradle, the plan calls for R=1/2 or R=3/8. I believe I am correct in assuming that R=radius. On other projects that I have made, I usually use a cap of a size that makes the rounded corner pleasing. I probably will do this for this project but I would still like to know how you layout a 1/2" or 3/8" radius or of any other size. My curiousity is twitching.

I would assume that they are intending for you to radius it with a router and appropriately sized bit, rather than doing it freehand. Table routing is easiest for me, but if you prefer hand-held, go for it.

Doc

Bob Rufener
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
The radius is not for the edges of the boards-it is so you don't have a sharp corner. Some of these are inside corners and some are outside corners. Hope this makes sense.

harry strasil
06-19-2008, 10:45 AM
find something twice the radius, which will be the diameter and place close to the edges and mark around it at the corner to be cut.

I often use coins or flat washers as the are thin.

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
The "best" way is to locate the radius and drill it out with an appropriately sized bit. Then cut to the radius with whatever saw you have to work with. This often means "stopping" the cut and finishing it with a hand saw and/or chisel.