PDA

View Full Version : Good mobile base...for not a lot of cash...

Michael Schumacher
06-19-2008, 9:19 AM
Last night after getting home from work, I decided to go downstairs and work on building the frame for the HF mobile base. Later in the night I got it put together and put the band saw on it. Only thing is it's not all that stable when in the "floor" mode verses "mobile" mode. So, I'm really wondering what mobile bases are there that are reasonable in price ($40-$75 range) that provide a decent support for the tool when in the "floor" mode?

Thanks, Michael

Ben Abate
06-19-2008, 9:29 AM
Michael,

In the clasified section I have an HTC Mobile base for sale that is one of the welded models and it is very stable. I used it for my DJ 20 and then for a Delta shaper and I never felt is was unstable. In fact I hesitated to sell it but it is in my way. Your geographically too far to ship because of the freight costs but if you have the chance to get one that is welded I think you'll feel better about it.

Ben

Matt Meiser
06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Welded are generally best, but I'm pretty happy with a Shop Fox that is under my bandsaw. I've had it for probably 8 or so years. For the bandsaw, I've never found a need to lock it. If I was pushing on the bandsaw hard enough to move it, I'd think about changing the blade. :p

I also have one of the Rockler ones which are similar to the HF. I'm very happy with it as well. I'd heard the HF ones were good if you change out the hardware for better grade, but it sounds like your issue is more along the lines of it rocking?

Greg Narozniak
06-19-2008, 1:44 PM
I have three of the Delta ones using wood for the rails, I know you can use metal, but my Band Saw, Drill Press and Disk sander move around just fine and once the caster is put down the base has been very solid.

Bill Franklin
06-19-2008, 8:32 PM
General makes a good universal style one that is a good buy.

Don Abele
06-19-2008, 8:40 PM
Michael, I have HTC universal bases under all my tools except for my tablesaw which came with a welded HTC base.

I used the HTC-2000 (about $65 from Amazon) for all except my Hammer Jointer/Planer which is 650 pounds. For that I used the HTC-3000 (about $75 from Amazon). I like the design of the 3000 better and if I had to do it again, would use all 3000's.

Of course, if I wasn't so lazy (and really had the extra time), I'd weld my own bases (especially since I have all the tools/materials needed). Welded bases are the best way to go. But the HTC universals are an excellent alternative.

Be well,

Doc

Denny Rice
06-19-2008, 8:52 PM
I love my mobile base(s) I purchased at Woodcraft. They are marketed by Woodcraft and they sell for around 60.00 but can be caught on sale quite often for about 50.00 plus tax. The cool thing about them is they can be made to fit any size determined by the size of the 3/4" platform that you have to create with a piece of 3/4" plywood. I have had these in my shop for some time and love em'. :)

Guy Roland
06-19-2008, 9:14 PM
I love my mobile base(s) I purchased at Woodcraft. They are marketed by Woodcraft and they sell for around 60.00 but can be caught on sale quite often for about 50.00 plus tax. The cool thing about them is they can be made to fit any size determined by the size of the 3/4" platform that you have to create with a piece of 3/4" plywood. I have had these in my shop for some time and love em'. :)

I just bought one of these and was very surprised with the strenght of the parts, a very well made unit.

Ian Roth
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Michael,

I have the HTC-2000 on my Bandsaw (Rikon 10-325) and it works well. I built the mobile base a little larger then mounted the bandsaw on a piece of 3/4 plywood to give it a little wider base.

Good luck!
Ian

Michael Schumacher
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Michael,

I have the HTC-2000 on my Bandsaw (Rikon 10-325) and it works well. I built the mobile base a little larger then mounted the bandsaw on a piece of 3/4 plywood to give it a little wider base.

Good luck!
Ian

Hmmm - I have enough spare plywood around...perhaps I could mount a plywood into the base to "strengthen" it up and see if that helps...might be worth it...

Dennis Lopeman
06-20-2008, 1:00 PM
Hmmm - I have enough spare plywood around...perhaps I could mount a plywood into the base to "strengthen" it up and see if that helps...might be worth it...

I saw something in my Woodcraft catalog last night - $50 (might have been a sale) - 4 corners casters hold a piece of plywood the size of your tool base... I think it said 600lb limit... THe plywood base looks a LOT easier to work with instead of cutting 4 exactly-the-right-length pieces of exactly-the-right-thickness pieces of hardwood... You know?!? :) (yes, that is the version that I have for my TS!) And plywood is there just to hold the casters out - the weight bears on the casters not the plywood...

Anyway - I'll see if I can do a quick search and find the link for you!

Dennis Lopeman
06-20-2008, 1:02 PM
I saw something in my Woodcraft catalog last night - $50 (might have been a sale) - 4 corners casters hold a piece of plywood the size of your tool base... I think it said 600lb limit... THe plywood base looks a LOT easier to work with instead of cutting 4 exactly-the-right-length pieces of exactly-the-right-thickness pieces of hardwood... You know?!? :) (yes, that is the version that I have for my TS!) And plywood is there just to hold the casters out - the weight bears on the casters not the plywood...

Anyway - I'll see if I can do a quick search and find the link for you!

OH JEEZ - maybe it would help if I read all the posts before I blindly post the SAME material!!! HAHAHA. So there you go - someone already mentioned this solution!

I saw it last night and just remembered it now when I saw your thread up top again!

Dave Sweeney
06-20-2008, 5:28 PM
I have a bunch of those old HF mobile bases and all are very stable in both the up and down position. The main difference with mine however is that instead of using 2x2 lumber, I used P1000 Unistrut 12 gauge steel channel. I really wish HF still sold those stands. Put together my way they are rock solid.

Denny Rice
06-20-2008, 5:58 PM
OH JEEZ - maybe it would help if I read all the posts before I blindly post the SAME material!!! HAHAHA. So there you go - someone already mentioned this solution!

I saw it last night and just remembered it now when I saw your thread up top again!

I love mine....Very easy to put togeather too

Peter Quinn
06-20-2008, 7:11 PM
A place I worked had an old Powermatic edge sander that had to weigh over #900 pounds on a shop made mobile base with a white oak frame and a plywood sub floor on good casters. i guess you could make one for the price of the casters for your average small shop machine. I have a few shop fox mobile bases but I'm not thrilled with them, especially the one which the bandsaw sits on. Wouldn't buy another. The place with the sander also had three big shapers on shop fox bases and they were dreadful. They just weren't rigid enough to hold that kind of weight or resist the lateral force when long work was put through the machine.

I have one HTC welded based and it works well.

My TS (cabinet saw), DJ-20 jointer and planer all sit on welded OEM mobile bases made to fit the machines and they are far superior to the bolt together models in terms of ease of rolling and rigidity.The jointer feels like it is bolted to the floor in use. They exceed your price range considerably though, but might be worth it for heavier machines.