PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend some money!!

Dave Sharpe
06-19-2008, 2:05 AM
OK - it's a tough dilemna but I have some money (about $2000) coming in and need some help spending it.
I have a small hobby workshop (1 man) and have collected most of my major tools over 15 years or so. I have an old Craftsman contractor's saw that I've upgraded with a Delta Unifence (found in discontinued pile at Woodcraft) and an Incra miter gauge. I mounted the saw on a long workbench that serves as an extension table with a router table built into the far end. I have a Grizzly 14" bandsaw that is fairly new, as well as a good Dewalt Planer and Ridgid Jointer. I rarely use my Drill press but it's an old serviceable Craftsman. My only dust collection is three shopvacs and an old Delta 3/4 HP bag-type dust collector that seems pretty inadequate.
Mostly I'm building assorted furniture projects and other household items (my biggest and best was a large roll-top desk) and am getting set to remodel my kitchen with an intent to build all my own custom cabinets. I don't sell my work or make money in the shop, but someday may decide to supplement my income this way.
I'd love to buy a Sawstop (I'm an ER nurse and see just what tablesaws can do) but I can't really justify the pricetag - given there are so many other ways to hurt myself in the shop. I want to upgrade my tablesaw to one with a riving knife but can't decide whether to wait for more models to come out with this feature.
So, now that I have some disposable income I'm trying to decide between either:
1. replacing my tablesaw with a cabinet saw (Grizzly's parking lot sale is this weekend and 40 miles away......) looking at the G0651
2. Getting serious about dust collection and buying either a cyclone dust collector or a cannister type dust collector.
3. some combination of the above - perhaps a contractor's saw with a riving knife added to a cannister style dust collector.
4. other ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Denny Rice
06-19-2008, 3:07 AM
Put a really good dust collection system in your shop. I know spending money on a DCS is not as fun as buying a really cool tool, but atleast you will be around to play with all the tools you have collected so far for a long time to come.:D

Cary Falk
06-19-2008, 3:45 AM
I would get the G0651 and a Delta 50-760 and call it good.

John Keeton
06-19-2008, 6:43 AM
My vote is for an Oneida DC system. That kind of money should do the 2.5 Gorilla and all of the ductwork, drops, etc. You will be much, much more comfortable in your shop. I just really couldn't believe the difference it made in the "enjoyablility" factor for my shop. The best and most beneficial tool in my shop!

Then, next year, when another opportunity comes, you will have had time to research the TS idea as it sounds like you are in pretty good shape on the rest of the tools.

Tim Anderson
06-19-2008, 8:06 AM
Sounds like you have all the tools you need. Think about bettering the lives of some young kid, like my son he needs money for college. ;) If philantropy isn't your cup of tea then if you're building cabinets, do you have a good miter saw? Maybe a slider. I'm adding an Oneida as funds allow. Got the cyclone still saving for the ducts. My ossilating spindle sander sees a lot of action

Tim

Ben Cadotte
06-19-2008, 9:14 AM
I don't think trading an older contractors saw for a newer one with riving knife is a good expendature. Moving up to a cabinet saw with riving knife I can see though.

I currently have cheap to moderate tools in my shop for power equipment. I am very happy with my HF 2 HP DC. So for me I would go with the cabinet saw. I actually have saved up for a new one. Just waiting till after vacation at the end of July.

I also like the suggestion above , if you don't have a good miter saw. Maybe picking up a good 12" slider may be a good idea. The incra in the saw is pretty accurate. But can be a pain with long pieces.

Jim Becker
06-19-2008, 9:16 AM
I agree with Ben on the saw comments and with some others about putting some serious consideration into a good dust control system.

Jeff Duncan
06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Well if you have some time and patience you could get a cabinet saw and dust collection and still probably have some money left over for accessories. I buy most of my equipment used as it allows me to get a lot more machine for my money.
If you want new then you'll probably only be able to get one or the other. Which one is something only you can decide.
good luck,
JeffD

Don Bullock
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
OK - it's a tough dilemna but I have some money (about $2000) coming in and need some help spending it....
I'd love to buy a Sawstop (I'm an ER nurse and see just what tablesaws can do) but I can't really justify the pricetag - given there are so many other ways to hurt myself in the shop. ...
Thanks for your input.

Dave

Dave, once I considered upgrading my Craftsman to a SawStop I felt doing anything short of that wouldn't work for me. The LOML was very supportive of the decision. In your situation you may regret not buying one.

That said upgrading your DC is also important for your shop. The $2000 should buy you a decent system.

J. Z. Guest
06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
I'd buy a dust collector and save the change for lumber. It doesn't seem like your saw is lacking anything.

Does your circuitry have capacity for a proper dust collector? If not, you could spend a bit getting that sorted.

Jamie Buxton
06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
You might consider a vacuum press. It opens the whole world of veneering to you, and the world of bent lamination. If you shop well (see kits from http://www.veneersupplies.com/) you'll still have money for a dust collection system.

Travis Rassat
06-19-2008, 1:50 PM
+1 for improving the dust collection. I would recommend an air cleaner (I have a JDS, which I really like).

Anything you can do to promote a healthy, clean environment will help you enjoy woodworking for a long, long time.

Greg Narozniak
06-19-2008, 2:23 PM
A good DC is without a doubt the way to go. Now as other's have said it's not the "KEWLEST" tool but I will say when someone new walks into my shop the first thing they see is that Oneida hanging on the wall and the normal response is "What is That? That looks Cool"

My lungs feel a lot better too.

Heather Thompson
06-19-2008, 2:53 PM
Dave,

I am going to join the chorus for dust collection, installed a 3hp Onieda unit a couple of years ago really enjoy shop time a lot more. I added a second collection point on my bandsaw and really like the results.

Heather

Eddie Darby
06-19-2008, 7:16 PM
Gas.:rolleyes:

Peter Quinn
06-19-2008, 8:53 PM
DC is a necessity. A shop vac will not do, but you don't need to blow the wad on an Oneida set up to collect dust and chips, though I will as soon as funds allow. I spent last week working on my father's craftsman TS, I spent this week back in my own shop on my cabinet saw. I can't see how guys use those saws, they scare me.

You can get a very good TS, an air filter and a decent portable DC that will pull down one machine at a time for $2000, then save for the cyclone set up as things grow.

Or you can send a check to: M Peter Quinn Scholarship Fund, C.O. Peter Quinn!:D

Doug Shepard
06-19-2008, 9:17 PM
Clamps, man Clamps.
You can never have too many, they dont make any dust, and you're going to need a bunch for that kitchen cab project.:D

Von Bickley
06-19-2008, 9:21 PM
If you are going to be building cabinets, you didn't mention a good pocket-hole jig. That would come in handy.

You also didn't mention if you had an air compressor & nail guns....

And you can't have too many routers.....:D

Dave Sharpe
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Thansk to all for the advice - can always count on Creekers for opinion-sharing in quick-order. I appreciate all the suggestions. I'd love to keep an eye out for used tools, but I live on an island (OK there's a bridge, and 2 ferries - when the weather's calm) so it's kinda hard to pick up on deals. One guy on the island did keep trying to sell his old 5hp Delta but it looked pretty rusty on Craigslist, and no fence, rails, etc - besides that he just plain wanted too much money for it. I agree that we can never have too many clamps, but I think I can make do with my meager supply that already covers most of one wall. I also already have a good Kreg set and two compressors and nailguns, etc.
SO Dust collection seems to be the way to go. I've opened up a new thread looking for opinions on Grizzly's 2hp DC unit, since they're close enough and always worth an off-island expedition. Besides, their big parking lot sale is only 37 1/2 hours from now....... But who's counting? Maybe I can get that oscillating spindle sander too.......!

Dave

Denny Rice
06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Clamps, man Clamps.
You can never have too many, they dont make any dust, and you're going to need a bunch for that kitchen cab project.:D

I must agree with Doug on this one.........A woodshop cannot EVER have too many clamps.