PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Transportation

Scott Rychnovsky
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
My new Grizzly G5014X2 Band Saw arrived last week. There was an issue with the delivery. When my wife saw it she laughed and laughed. It did not fit under the garage door!

After some thought I ended up making a custom dolly for it and strapped it to the side with band clamps. Tipping it over went well, but it is heavy. It ended up being a one-person job. Then I just rolled it into the garage like a go cart.

I purchased a jet mobile base and cut one of the support sides in half so that it would fit down to the minimum size of 18". The overall dimensions are 18" by 30". I like the Jet heavy duty mobile base--it is solid and very easily set up.

Finally, here is a picture of the band saw on the jet mobile base. I tipped it back up myself, but I had help easing it into the jet base. Now I just need assemble the rest of the band saw.

Here is a question for you: how do I make an extension cord for the saw? I probably need a 10 ft cord. The heaviest wire I can find is three strand 12 gauge. I can purchase 220 V plugs. Is 12 gauge heavy enough? Do I need to be careful to keep the cord short to avoid a voltage drop?

Thank you for looking.

Scott

Chuck Saunders
06-19-2008, 8:21 AM
Since the saw came with a 6ft 14ga cord and the saw is rated at 16 amps, a 12ga cord would be both acceptable and appropriate.

Tony Cox
06-19-2008, 8:26 AM
Agree with Chuck...;)

By the way, congrats on the new tool. Looks like a great addition.

Tony