PDA

View Full Version : Building Moblile bases tomorrow: Question about what size angle to use

Dennis Reardon
06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
While at a Father's day bash this weekend I met a retired welder/Hot Rod builder. Tool guys seem to just be able to look at each other and know their both tool guys. Any rate after awhile he invites me to check out his shop, it's just around the corner. His "shop" is a 40' x 60' romper room full of presses, (three arbor, two drill and two mills) several welders, three rolling toolboxes, two lifts with finished projects sitting up on them, etc. etc. Spotless I might add.

After gawking for a few minutes, about 45 actually, I mention as calmly:eek: as I can that I have a need of his welding expertise. I told him I wanted to make a few mobile bases for my stationary tools, but I lack the knowledge and equipment to weld them up myself. On top of that the manufactured based available, are way out of my budget.

"No problem", he says, "I have an open slate on Thursday, go find some casters, pick up some angle iron and meet here at 10:00.

Today I called him up to confirm his willingness to help and it's a go. I only realised a few minutes ago that I never asked him his recommendation for the size of the angle iron. My thought is that 2 x 2 x 3/16, or even 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 should be sufficent. I will be building these for:

17" drill press, bolted to a weighted base (saw one posted here awhile back, excellent idea I thought)

My newly aquired 6' Grizzly jointer (gloat to follow after it has its new base and plug):D

14" Rockwell Bandsaw, this one has that weird base that is 16" x 18.5"

3 ton Arbor press (another gloat to follow):D

And finally I am planning to install 4' castors I picked up at Woodcraft today onto my ShopFox mobile base which supports my table saw. I want to do this because my "shop" is only 9 1/2' x 16'. I have struggled with the current two swivel and two fixed castor setup for as long as I can deal with it. :mad: I need to "turn on a dime" as it were and this base does not allow that.

So tell me what you think folks. The observations and recommendations I get here will determine what I buy tomorrow morning. I am so excited about this I hope like hell I can sleep tonight!:p

Charlie Velasquez
06-19-2008, 12:49 AM
2X2 should be plenty for the base, but you will probably need some 2x4 or so for the outriggers ( depends on the wheel turning radius of the casters; they are usually offset just a little). I would definitely go with the outriggers for the drill press; it will keep your center of gravity a little lower and expand the footprint on a tool that is EXTREMELY top heavy. Your jointer also could benefit from a longer wheelbase.

Since the labor is free, don't skimp on the material. Material cost will probably rival the cost of the manufactured bases, but you will end up with a more stout base.

A simple design is two angle iron 2 X 2 (or 3) X length of your tool with the flat horizontal facing down and to the inside. Then two angle iron 2 (or 3) X 4 X width to serve as outriggers for the casters.
http://machlink.com/%7Esrv653/base.gif
Since most 4" casters go about 4 3/4" to the base this would only raise your tool about a couple of inches.
Get good casters that double lock. You don't want your jointer to slide as you're pushing a piece of wood through it.

Also, a lot easier to drill all the holes for the casters before you weld.