PDA

View Full Version : I'm the DEFINITION of UGLY!!

Dale Thompson
04-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Therefore, I want to cut off the top half of the mirror in my bathroom!! I have a weak "gag" reflex. :o :eek: I won't even mention, "morning breath".

I assume that I should "score" the back side of the mirror and then "snap" it with the front side over a dowel or something like that. Does it make any difference that the mirror is "beveled" around the edges??

I REALLY need your help!! If this doesn't work, I'm afraid that my "morning sickness" means that I may be pregnant!?! :eek: :eek: ;)

Thanks folks,
Dale t.

John Miliunas
04-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Hah! That ain't ugly! It takes me close to 15 minutes every morning to sneak up on our mirror! :rolleyes: Your procedure description is definitely correct, but I'm wondering if it's not double-strenght glass? The beveled edge kind of makes me think that. If that's the case, you do have a greater risk of it cracking/breaking where you don't want it to. :cool:

Michael Ballent
04-15-2004, 11:56 PM
I would look into a glass cutter, make your score then fully support the side that you want to keep and it should snap off at the score line... If in doubt I would just let a pro handle it... try to find a local glass shop and they could probably do it for you and maybe even re-bevel the edge... or just buy a new one :D

-Michael

Dean Baumgartner
04-16-2004, 8:49 AM
Dale,
I know we're all big on DIY here but, you can take the mirror into most places that deal with glass like HJ Martin in Green Bay and they'll cut it and polish the edge for a few dollars. That might be the best way to get a good cut and not have the risk of the mirror shattering.

Lee Schierer
04-16-2004, 2:55 PM
Cutting 1/4" glass is a bit trickier than cutting window glass. When I redid our bathroom, I needed to cut the mirror into smaller pieces. My local glass shop charged me less than a buck a cut and even returned the left over piece that was large enough for another job. Putting the mirror back up without the one edge being beveled would look funny in my opinion.

Dale Thompson
04-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Following your invaluable advice, we got a large mirror from our local Menards (a regional "box" store). We needed two cuts to make the mirror fit our project. I will post some pictures so that "Spring" can follow the process. Anyway, my cousin, Carol, took it over to our local "glass shop". The guy there made both cuts and said that, since he did not do beveled mirrors, the cuts were FREE!! :) :) :) :) Small towns! ;)

Dale T. :) :)