PDA

View Full Version : Any St. Louis folks?

Ron Bontz
06-18-2008, 7:04 PM
When I browse and sometimes post comments I rarely see any one from the St. Louis Metro area. Is there any one out there? Just curious.:)

Joe Mioux
06-18-2008, 8:40 PM
OH yea there are quite a few of us around here.

Ron Bontz
06-18-2008, 9:06 PM
That's great. I was beginning to wonder. My daughter tells me I am a lone wolf. I don't belong to any clubs. I just hack away on wood, work around the house, ride my bicycle etc. I don't know any of the people you mentioned. Russo sounds familiar though. I also actually live closer to Holiday Shores. I am a transplant from military days many moons ago and married a Collinsville woman (Schikowski). Hence I really didn't know anyone to begin with. Thanks for your reply and take care.:)

David Sims
06-19-2008, 2:45 AM
Hi Ron, I live in Rosewood Heights and go right by your house every week or so on my way to my friends farm to help him saw lumber on his Wood Mizer sawmill. I am always looking to network with area woodworkers.

Guy Germaine
06-19-2008, 9:04 AM
I live down in Belleville. Actually out in the country between Belleville and Millstadt.

Ron Bontz
06-20-2008, 1:18 PM
Hey Dave, I have a very large white oak tree that fell about 1.5 years ago. About 90 feet tall. I haven't done anything with it yet but plan to start cutting on it soon. The tree looks fairly hollow at the base so I don't know how much heart wood is there etc. I have lost so many trees the last couple of years I haven't had time to deal with it. It's in a small gully. Does your friend mill things with 4 foot or so diameters? I would love to have some 1/4 cut white oak. How expensive of an undertaking is this? :)

Mark Stutz
06-20-2008, 3:41 PM
Ron,
There are actually a fair number of us around...we occasionally pop up! We usually get together for breakfast every year before the WW Show in Feb. Alwqys something posted here, so keep on the lookout.

Mark

David Sims
06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi Ron. Here is a link to the woodworking club I belong to. Check us out sometime. Give me a call if you have any questions.

http://www.edwardsvillewoodworkers.org/

Rich Johnson
03-01-2010, 2:08 PM
I know this is an old post...but I am in St Charles...new to the website and woodworking, in the beginning of turning my 18x18 garage into a workshop. Electric, insulation, and part drywalled. Then I need saw, router setup. After I make my cabinets I will look for a planer then see where it takes me.

I put a group up for the greater STL area.... all should join, might be a good reason for a beer and exchange ideas.

Richard