PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Jigsaw Repair Help

Bob Moyer
06-18-2008, 6:45 PM
I have an almost new 1587AVS; I went to change the blade for the first time, I followed the directions, but when I turn the nob to the right it does not click or secure the blade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bond Turner
06-18-2008, 7:25 PM
I have this same jig saw and you found the only problem that I have ever had with this saw. The first time I pulled the knob out...off it came. I have learned to deal with it and luckily Bosch makes some quality blades that last a while unless you are cutting a lot of different material and you have to change it often. The trick with mine is not to pull it too far just barely up and turn. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Bruce Wrenn
06-18-2008, 9:26 PM
Bob, if you are saying it won't tighten the blade, then you probably opened it too far. I won't say how I know, but I do. To get upper assembly to grip lower assembly in blade tightening works take some doing. I found that by using a long nail (16d finish) in a block of wood I could reattach the two. Drive nail into a block of wood, leaving as much out as possible. Set block of wood on bench, place saw, with blade opening over nail (as if it was a blade). Press down, and then try to tighten blade locking mechanism. You should be able to get a "bite" on lower mechanism. You only need to turn handle about two turns to release blade. Best of luck.

Bob Moyer
06-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Bob, if you are saying it won't tighten the blade, then you probably opened it too far. I won't say how I know, but I do. To get upper assembly to grip lower assembly in blade tightening works take some doing. I found that by using a long nail (16d finish) in a block of wood I could reattach the two. Drive nail into a block of wood, leaving as much out as possible. Set block of wood on bench, place saw, with blade opening over nail (as if it was a blade). Press down, and then try to tighten blade locking mechanism. You should be able to get a "bite" on lower mechanism. You only need to turn handle about two turns to release blade. Best of luck.

Bruce,

Which end of the nail (tip or head)?

Greg Robbins
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I have to turn mine 6 or 7 times before it clicks in. It seems to me that the manual says once or twice. I know I tought it was broke the first time I changed blades, but after 6 years I'm used to it.

Randal Stevenson
06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
The magic number I found/saw refered to via Amazon, was/is 3 1/2 turns. So far I haven't had problems like discussed above, but am watching this to remember it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-19-2008, 4:55 PM
I think it's chips or dirt

I'd try gently tapping the receiver first to see about dislodging any dirt. If that failed I'd try a bit of music wire fishing and twirling it around to loosen anything that got packed in there and then maybe try an air hose to clear chips or dirt from the receiver.

Vince Shriver
06-19-2008, 5:53 PM

I tried your nail thing with no luck. My next move was to call the Bosch service center and they are sending me a new part (at no charge), which I think is pretty cool.

Bob Moyer
06-20-2008, 7:45 AM
I tried your nail thing with no luck. My next move was to call the Bosch service center and they are sending me a new part (at no charge), which I think is pretty cool.

What part did they send you?

Vince Shriver
06-21-2008, 10:32 PM
What part did they send you?

They sent me the top handle with the twister and a plastic shaft with some gear teeth that goes directly under it. It's called the "ratchet" on their part diagram.

However, I tried replacing the old parts with the above parts and had no luck.

Next move: take it all in to the Robert Bosch Tool Corporation in Anaheim and have them do whatever surgery is necessary. I'd like to watch them, and I'll report back if I have any info of value.

peter de tappan
06-22-2008, 6:37 AM
I only solved my blade insertion problem by giving my Bosch 1587 away and buying a 1590. MUCH better machine. Blade changing mechanics became dead-on accurate and simple. several other design improvements too. Don't know why Bosch continued making 1587 saws after introducing the 1590.

Bruce Wrenn
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
As to my previous post, the nail has to go up into receiver where the blade would go. The part that presses down on the blade has come loose from the tightening mechanism. This must be pressed up, and tightening mechanism reattached. Once you have done it, it is easy to do again, however there is still the first time. Bruce

Vince Shriver
06-28-2008, 5:20 PM

OK, I took the saw to the Bosch Service Center where they promptly repaired what I had apparantly broken and then I sent the saw to my son, a new home owner and newly-wed. I proceded to purchase the newer Bosch 1590 for myself, and just received it today. After going through the manual I made a couple test cuts -awesome tool, including the blade change upgrade. A little heavier I think than the 1587, but its balance and features are excellent - highly recommend.