PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Framing Nailer Woes

steve swantee
06-18-2008, 4:32 PM
Hello everyone, I have a Dewalt D51822 Clipped Head Heavy Duty Framing Nailer that has a leak at the nose where the driver comes through the housing. I called a Dewalt service center, and they told me it probably needed an O-Ring kit. So, $70 for a pack of O-Rings, $20 worth of gas, and after replacing them all I still have the same leak. I followed the directions carefully and to the letter, so I think it must be some other problem. I don't want to throw away another fistful of dollars, or I might as well buy a new nailer, so I thought I would pick your brains to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Also, this nailer is only about 4 years old and has seen VERY little use, or abuse, and looks brand new. It has been used on a few renovation projects around the house and thats about it. I keep it well lubed as per the instructions. It has been through about a box and 1/2 of nails. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bond Turner
06-18-2008, 7:31 PM
I don't think Dewalt is what it used to be. Sorry to say, but my advice is get a Bostitch with a 7 year warranty and warranty service centers that know what they are doing and don't just guess what the problem is. I have several of their framing nailers with 1000's of nail passed and minor service required. Good luck!

Jim Kountz
06-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Wow Steve, sorry to hear about your troubles with the Dewalt. I picked up a couple of these for about $99 a piece last year and believe it or not they have become the guys favorite on the job site. They seem to like the fact that its a full pound lighter than our old Bostitch, which by the way is a fantastic tool too. But seriously though we have been slamming these deWalts for some time now to put them through their paces and they have performed flawlessly. The only thing I can think of is some how some way the chamber got our of round, perhaps dropped or smashed somehow? I doubt thats the case though since you said its in like new condition.

Steve Flavin001
06-19-2008, 2:27 AM
ordered the parts and that was it as far as DeWalt goes - before you write them off, OR spend any more $$, stay with them and explain exactly what you did here - or better yet, send it to them on email and follow up in person (phone); don't write them off just yet. Give them chance - speak to a supervisor - to "cure" it as they say.

steve swantee
06-19-2008, 9:15 AM
I like this nailer and I will probably take it to another Dewalt service center in my area, but I am not real encouraged because when I talked to their service guy about repairs and costs, he said he would have to wait and see it because he "wasn't sure how big of a machine it is" ?????...This doesn't really inspire my confidence, he doesn't seem to even know for sure what a nailer is.

Steve

Ben Cadotte
06-19-2008, 9:28 AM
Make a solution of water and some dish soap in a small bottle (mostly water with some soap). Use this solution to check where the leak is actually comming from. The air leak will blow bubbles. It's unfortuante that you paid $70 for a repair kit, when good brand name guns can be had for $200.

Unfortunately now a days more and more tools are made and sold to be thrown away if problems come up.