PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods - Out for the year!

Bob Moyer
06-18-2008, 1:47 PM
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15101&select=26291

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-18-2008, 1:51 PM
I just saw this. Makes his victory the other day even more impressive.

Matt Ocel
06-18-2008, 2:08 PM
I don't like that one bit.

Betting on Tiger has been making me a pretty good income!

Clifford Mescher
06-18-2008, 2:48 PM
Will he be eligible for Workmen's Comp? Clifford

Chris Padilla
06-18-2008, 2:53 PM
How do you get hurt playing golf? Never could figure that one out! ;)

Neal Clayton
06-18-2008, 4:27 PM
i think he hurt the knee working out, not playing. that's what ESPN is reporting anyways.

Lee DeRaud
06-18-2008, 5:17 PM
There are a lot of unnatural joint motions in a golf swing, especially when you're swinging the club as hard as somebody like Tiger. Shoulders, wrists, back, and knees all take a lot of stress.

Another thing to consider: a football lineman with a busted finger can still play effectively, but the insanely high precision required for pro golf just doesn't mix well with "playing hurt". So it doesn't take much of an injury to completely disrupt a pro's game.

Rich Konopka
06-18-2008, 6:14 PM
There is always one in the crowd and I am the one.

Tiger is a fantastic Golfer and is really unbelieable at times But..........

If he were to play back in the old days of 60's - 70's where the golfers went week to week from tournament to tournament without skipping a beat. Would Tiger be as good as he is today? Would he be able to survive without his private jet??

I don't think so because he only cherry picks the tournaments he plays in?

But then again with the money he makes in endorsements, appearance fess' etc.. he does not need to play every week. :eek::D:D:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
06-18-2008, 6:15 PM
I am reminded of the Great Jerry Rice who came back too early and was never the same after re-injuring his knee.
Out for a year is one thing but he still has quite a few majors to win to catch Jack... he is going to need to be healthy for many more years.
Dewey

Lee DeRaud
06-18-2008, 7:25 PM
If he were to play back in the old days of 60's - 70's where the golfers went week to week from tournament to tournament without skipping a beat. Would Tiger be as good as he is today? Would he be able to survive without his private jet??

An article earlier this week talked about that. He's 33 now, and extrapolating his trend for the last couple of years has him playing in "only" 12-14 tournaments in the next year. But that's only slightly fewer that Jack Nicklaus played at the same age: he never exceeded 15 tournaments a year after age 33.

Out for a year is one thing but he still has quite a few majors to win to catch Jack... he is going to need to be healthy for many more years.For some low value of "many": he needs four wins to tie, and five to exceed Jack's total of 18, and he averages about 1.3 majors won per year (as a pro). Even if he only wins one per year, he'll be under 40 when he passes Jack. :eek:

Terry Achey
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
There is always one in the crowd and I am the one.

Tiger is a fantastic Golfer and is really unbelieable at times But..........

But then again with the money he makes in endorsements, appearance fess' etc.. he does not need to play every week. :eek::D:D:rolleyes:

Yes, Rich. There is one in every crowd... and sometimes it's me, too;)

However, when it comes to Tiger Woods, I consider him to be the equivalent of he 500 year storm. He is to golf as Wayne Gretzky was to Hockey. They are in a class of their own and are once-in-a lifetime phenoms. Ponder this.... today Tiger is facing a class of golfers that the "old timers" never had to compete against. Go back to the Walter Hagen and Ben Hogan era and see how many "pro" golfers there really were on the circuit. Even up to the 50' and 60' the pro golfers were essentially recruited predominatly from the elite and privelaged members of the country clubbers around the country. Rather a small and, dare I say, limited pool of talent as compared to the pool of comptetive athletic golfers of today. Today we see world class golfers every week from all over the world, and from all social standings, competing on tour. Had the Ben Hogans, Sam Sneads and Arnold Palmers had to compete with todays quality pool of golfers, I doubt they would have had the same success ratio as Tiger is experiencing.

I'm not taking anything away from the great golfers of the past. They truly were superstars of their respective era. I just feel they were not quite the phenomenom that Tiger Woods is. Yes, it's true.... I love golf and I love to watch Tiger Woods.:D

Brian Brown
06-19-2008, 2:02 AM
Apparantly you've never seen me play golf. It's amazing when I don't come home with an injury!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2008, 7:10 AM
Rich,

I haven't played a round of golf since June 1974 when I discovered I had lost the patience to play the game.

I consider watching golf on television as about as exciting as watching corn or soy beans grow....

That said.....

My wife took off on a trip with her Mother a week ago and last Saturday, I had to mow and trim the lawn and paint some doors for my 2 new shop cabinets I am building. I happen to come into the house to fix my supper and I caught Tiger's last 3 holes......

Sunday, I was assembling one of the cabinets and fertilizing the lawn. I came into the house and happen to catch Tiger's 16th, 17th and 18th holes.

Monday I climbed on a plane at 0600...flew to Arlington, TX. I checked into my motel.....and happen to catch the 17th and 18th hole of the playoff.....and the Sudden Death hole....

Exciting yes.....great golf....yes...

If you look hard at Tiger when it is a shot from the back......The kid has been doing some serious strength training. He looks lean and muscular from both the side and the back. Look at his biceps......he's doing some serious weight training. There aren't too many golfers on that course that are in the physical condition he is.....not just lean but muscular....

Tiger Woods will IMHO go down as the greatest golfer in the history of golf to this day. He is only 33? He has plenty of time to catch Nicklaus. Will he the greatest of all time? Only history will tell.

I have now watched a total of 9 holes of golf this year and they certainly were better than watching corn grow!

Justin Leiwig
06-19-2008, 8:18 AM
I like to think that Tiger selectively choosing which tournaments he plays in is more in defference to his fellow competitors. No one likes to come in second all the time, even pros. That's why you see such an influx of international competitors when Tiger doesn't play in a tournament. If he's playing they stick to the european tournament.

That being said, Tiger will go down as the greatest of all time for more than just his golf game. Tiger woods has done more for the game of golf than Hogan, Palmer, and Nickalaus all combined.

Between Tiger, the walrus and John Daly they have brought golf out of the country club and made it appear that anyone of any color, size, shape or whatever could play the game. Of course not many can and that's why it's pretty lucrative for me to buy their clubs in the middle of May when they give the game up in disgust. I've yet to pay retail for any clubs, and have yet to loose money on any clubs that I've sold. :D

Tiger has also brought the level of competition up to a level where I think it should be for professional golf. Fifteen years ago there was no such thing as strength conditioning coaches on tour. Now each player has a strength coach and now there are even PGA provided mobile gyms at each of the venues. And the money that has come to the sport because of Tiger is insane. I believe the figure I remember is that purse prizes for the tournaments has gone up close to 500% since Tiger has been on tour. That is directly related to the number of people now watching golf because of Tiger, now trying to play golf because of Tiger, and so much more.

Mike Wilkins
06-19-2008, 4:51 PM
You know the sport is really reaching a lot of people, whenever the evening news has a story on him taking the rest of the year off for surgery. Along with the floods, gas and food prices, and the middle east mess.
Tiger has people watching golf that never cared anything about the sport in the past. Amazing.

Rich Konopka
06-19-2008, 5:39 PM
Between Tiger, the walrus and John Daly they have brought golf out of the country club and made it appear that anyone of any color, size, shape or whatever could play the game. Of course not many can and that's why it's pretty lucrative for me to buy their clubs in the middle of May when they give the game up in disgust. I've yet to pay retail for any clubs, and have yet to loose money on any clubs that I've sold. :D

Tiger has also brought the level of competition up to a level where I think it should be for professional golf. Fifteen years ago there was no such thing as strength conditioning coaches on tour. Now each player has a strength coach and now there are even PGA provided mobile gyms at each of the venues. And the money that has come to the sport because of Tiger is insane. I believe the figure I remember is that purse prizes for the tournaments has gone up close to 500% since Tiger has been on tour. That is directly related to the number of people now watching golf because of Tiger, now trying to play golf because of Tiger, and so much more.

You bring up some good points. It is has turned into a big money machine just like everything else. I remember when I was a kid and going to the GHO (Greater Hartford Open) and seeing all the pro's. These guys slugged it out week in and week out. The best part was going to the qualifying round and watching these guys slug it out to make the cut. They did not have the sponsorships and the private jets. You could walk up to Johnny Miller and get his autograph or have your picture with Arnie. Now It's all about the money.

Tiger is sponsored by Buick and he has yet to come to Hartford and play in the Travelers / Buick / GHO tournament. Tiger only plays the major championships or in places like Dubai where they pay him $1m appearence fees.

As I said earlier in this thread I don't think he would have been a good player as he is if he had to play week after week.

Jon Lanier
06-19-2008, 8:47 PM
Okay, time for me to weight in on the matter. Simply put, it is to hard to distinguish athletes from era to era but in golf the matter is compounded. The courses and the shape they played, the competition, and the BIG one, the equipment.

Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger. The best in their era, no doubt about it.

As for Tiger's situation, the torque that he puts on his body and the speed, most folks don't understand. I had a driver swing of 136 mph at one time and it is hard the back, knee's and hips. (Note Jack's Hip problems through his career. A reverse "C" swing put more stress on his hip, Tigers swing focus' on the power drive to his left leg...thus the knee.)

Chris Padilla
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I played golf off and on over my life but not with any decent frequency or much desire. Par 3 courses of 9 holes were about it for me. I guess I can understand injury from swinging the club. I just look at football, baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, heck, even bowling as having a bit more motion (and some contact) to them and thus it seems like the greater likelihood of injury over golf. Golf always appeared to be more of a leisurely activity in my eyes: hit the ball, walk to it, hit the ball again, walk to it.... :) ;) Now if you carried all your clubs, kudos to you...I bet you get a decent workout! ;) haha

Justin Leiwig
06-20-2008, 1:28 PM
I played golf off and on over my life but not with any decent frequency or much desire. Par 3 courses of 9 holes were about it for me. I guess I can understand injury from swinging the club. I just look at football, baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, heck, even bowling as having a bit more motion (and some contact) to them and thus it seems like the greater likelihood of injury over golf. Golf always appeared to be more of a leisurely activity in my eyes: hit the ball, walk to it, hit the ball again, walk to it.... :) ;) Now if you carried all your clubs, kudos to you...I bet you get a decent workout! ;) haha

Having played golf you must realize that the golf swing is the most un-natural motion of all sports. It's an evil game invented by angry wives to rid themselves of their husbands for extended periods of time.