PDA

View Full Version : Square Oak Bowl

Ben Gastfriend
06-18-2008, 1:35 PM
Hello all! I havn't posted in a while because I just finished up school and all the finals that come around. I got back into the shop yesterday, and rigged up my new DC in an adjacent room, and routed the duct work in... which I used to collect the shavings from the finish turning of this bowl, that just came off the post-DNA drying rack.

Oak. 6"x3". Finished Minwax Wipe-On Poly.
Comments and critiques appreciated.

Harvey M. Taylor
06-18-2008, 1:46 PM
Whoooooeeee Ben, looks like you are on your way. Fasten your seat belt, or you will be lost in the vortex. I have fallen in love with square winged bowls, myself.The variety of designs are almost limitless. Spin, spin. spin!!!
Max

curtis rosche
06-18-2008, 1:57 PM
that looks great ben! i wondered where youd gone,. i assume you started with a square and didnt try cutting it after it was turned, how well did the oak work for this? itdoesnt look like is chipped out

curtis rosche
06-18-2008, 1:59 PM
you ought to try that on a goblet, kinda looks like a flower

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2008, 2:00 PM
Nice work Ben! First photo has a sort of Tulip effect to it! How did your new DC work out for you?

Paul Engle
06-18-2008, 3:34 PM
Very nice Ben. People who do not know are always amazed how the shape comes out and this one is no exception!!! Good to hear your DC is working ok but .... how about your final grades ????? ah had ta ask .... ;) :D

tim mathis
06-18-2008, 4:51 PM
ben,
that looks great , great job.
tim

robert hainstock
06-18-2008, 6:16 PM
Nice piece of work, and so is the DC by the way. Did you buff the minwax? I use it quite often and realy like it. :):):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2008, 6:18 PM
Ben that is a great job. It does have a tulip look to it.

David Wilhelm
06-18-2008, 8:08 PM
Good looking bowl Ben.

Ben Gastfriend
06-18-2008, 8:14 PM
Curtis- the oak worked good. I've always had a pleasant experiance with oak.

Paul- I'm proud to report that I got a B+ on my geometry finals, I havn't gotten the rest of the grades back yet.

I'll buff the Minwax once it's completely cured in 2 weeks or so. Just to be safe.

Thanks for the comments.

Toney Robertson
06-18-2008, 9:54 PM
Nice Ben.

The tulip analogy is right on and I really like how the ring structure is on the inside of the bowl.

Toney

Alan Huey
06-19-2008, 1:08 AM
Real Nice. Like the look

Ben Gastfriend
06-19-2008, 5:57 PM
Steve, I can't tell you how much the new DC helps. I wired it up so there's a switch on the wall next to the hole I cut to route the hose into the shop. I let it run right near the lathe, and it really cuts down on the shavings I have to sweep up and all the suspended dust.

Bob Hallowell
06-19-2008, 6:23 PM
Ben, that bowl looks very nice.

Bob