PDA

View Full Version : Delta JT360 6'' Jointer? Worth the buy?

Scotty Stepp
06-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I am currently outfitting my first workshop and was wondering if the Delta JT360 would be a good first jointer. It is currently on clearance at Lowe's for $220 (regular $370). I know that a 8'' would be better but my budget can't handle the bump in price at the moment. How is the quality of this machine?

Thanks for your input!

scott spencer
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
It's well worth $220 IMHO....I'd guess you could resell for that price so there's very little risk.

Norman Pyles
06-18-2008, 8:45 PM
I have that jointer, and paid almost that much used. It works fine for me.

Randy Carnley
06-18-2008, 8:50 PM
I have that jointer and it does a great job. For $220, you can't go wrong!

Douglas Brummett
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I recently bought this jointer from lowe's. I got it a bit cheaper, but it was the floor model and missing some parts. In the end it wasn't as good of a deal as $220 with all the parts. I have been able to locate all of the missing parts (took a bit of doing, got a call this morning that my local service center had located the last of them). I also was able to buy a spiral head for a good price. Spiral helix heads are also available for this jointer, so future upgrades are an option.

At any rate, I think in the sub $400 range it is the best thing out there. The Harbor Freight jointers all use a cantilevered fence that can move a bit when side pressure is applied towards the far end of it. That in conjunction of the fear of not being able to get replacement parts turned me off of them. The rigid seems to get good reviews, but could also suffer from parts problems down the road. Jet and grizzly offer good options as well, but they will be pushing $4-500 by the time you get them in your shop.

If you can snag it for $220 I would go for it.