PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 45

John Powers
06-18-2008, 9:54 AM
Take a look on Central Jersey Craigslist. Stanley 45 for $40.00. Someone's coming to look at it this evening. Think it might be available tomorrow??? I don't blow off my Wednesday guitar lessone easily but for that I'd be in the car burning some $4.00 per gallon gas.

Bill Houghton
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
the main tool is just the beginning - you can't do any work without the cutting irons. A $40 Stanley 45 with cutters is a real steal; one without is probably about a good starting point. You can buy sets of cutters on deBay; watch for shiny cutters without pitting.

If/when you go to buy one, take along a straight edge (the rule part of a high grade combination square is sufficient). The "sole" of a combination plane consists of two skates (you'll know exactly why the name when you see the tool) that are riveted to a cast iron body. If the body gets bent, the skates aren't straight, and the part's useless. Use the straight edge to test each skate in both dimensions - hold it beside the skate and under it. Also test the fence, though these seem to warp less.