PDA

View Full Version : Shallow bowl

Jim Maxwell
06-18-2008, 7:17 AM
A flitch or slab from the side of a log, was left after a club activity. It turned out to be yellow walnut, a very pretty colour, but full of silica, that dulls the tools quickly. Most bowls have a foot to sit on for stability, this one will be different I thought, so no base. The four legs are hand carved from black walnut for contrast. Again, four legs rather than the usual three, just for fun :D. I think it turned out ok.
Jim

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2008, 7:58 AM
Very nice bowl Jim! Love the 'artfulness' of the carved legs! Great form and color contrast! More than anything else - I really like your use of imagination! Wonderful piece!

Jim Maxwell
06-18-2008, 8:25 AM
Thanks Steve, it almost was going to be a 'traditional' naturel edge bowl.
Jim

Scott Lux
06-18-2008, 9:54 AM
If by "ok" you mean perfect, then you're right.

Jim Becker
06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I think it's outstanding, Jim...

Ben Gastfriend
06-18-2008, 1:26 PM
I have to agree. Very sleek and smooth. Great bowl.

Paul Engle
06-18-2008, 3:40 PM
Very elegant Jim, nice work on the " legs" indeed with the bowl shape being spot on ! This is the first yellow walnut I have ever seen , did not know this exsisted until now. Well done but then again I do not think I have ever seen anything by you that was not " well done".Did you use the lathe index to spot the holes for the bowl and legs ? Next time you do one , a short tutorial is in order for us beginners.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2008, 6:24 PM
Jim that is a beauty. Really like the artful way it was done.

Toney Robertson
06-18-2008, 9:57 PM
Jim, that is really nice.

I like how you combined a traditional form with out of the box thinking on the legs.

Since you used four legs, are you worried about the bowl warping enough so that it does not sit level?

Toney

Richard Madison
06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Very courageous using four (4) legs. Beautiful piece of work. Is yellow walnut an Australian tree? Similar color to Osage Orange.

lynn smith
06-19-2008, 1:04 AM
Very creative.
I like it.
It definantely stands out as a one of a kind.
Nice piece.

Nathan Hawkes
06-19-2008, 1:13 AM
[quote It turned out to be yellow walnut, a very pretty colour, but full of silica, that dulls the tools quickly.
Jim[/quote]

What family is yellow walnut?? I'm guessing because of the silica content, its one of your Aussie-endemic woods. On another forum, I was posting recently about milling wood with a chainsaw; our Black walnut, a Robinia species, as well as our Osage Orange, are quite hard by our standards. One of the Aussie contributors was commenting that Robinia was the softest thing he had ever milled. :eek::eek: anyway, the bowl is beautiful!! I really like the contrasting colors, and the "floating" aspect of it.

Jim Maxwell
06-19-2008, 8:29 AM
Nathan, yellow walnut or canary ash, Beilschmiedia bancroftii, can grow to 30 metres with 1 metre stem diameter and is native to far north Queensland, that is, here where I live.
Tony, yellow walnut is very stable, no I am not concerned about warping.
Paul, yes I did use the indexing facility on the lathe to locate the legs.
Thanks for all the nice comments, they are appreciated.
Any of you folk live between Vancouver and Toronto? My wife and I are doing a tour from Vancouver to Toronto, then from Toronto to Washington in mid August to mid September. Be nice if we could connect.
Jim