PDA

View Full Version : Our SMC Moderators are pretty darn good!

Jeffrey Makiel
06-18-2008, 7:03 AM
I visited another woodworking forum that I joined a few years ago just for kicks. It didn't take long to see bad behavior. A moderator, not a member, made a personal attack against a respectable opposing viewpoint. Then two other moderators ganged up with the first moderator to help mock the situation.

Needless to say, I deleted my favorites link to that forum and quickly returned to a more civilized, informative and friendly woodworking forum...SMC!

Hats off to our moderators....you folks do a nice job here! You attract the best and brightest folks in the woodworking industry and hobby.

Thanks!

-Jeff :)

Stephen Beckham
06-18-2008, 7:48 AM
Whhhat? There's other forums out there.... I'll be right back.... :eek:

Seriously - I cut my teeth on SMC, never really had another forum that had the three different categories I need in the same place. But on top of that - I concur and 2nd the motion...

Hat's off to you guys that moderate us... Now - where did my last post go? :p:p:p

David G Baker
06-18-2008, 8:11 AM
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike holden
06-18-2008, 9:31 AM
Thanks to all the moderators that make the creek a great place to be.
Mike

Bob Moyer
06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
;)

They continue to leave my name off the winners list in the drawings.

Brent Ring
06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
;)

They continue to leave my name off the winners list in the drawings.

I have the same problem :D:D:D. But I do not have complaints about the moderators here, but more Kudos and praise. I don't go anywhere else!

Heather Thompson
06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
This site is my homepage, I do not always agree with some of the actions taken here, but I respect them. I am proud to be a member(contributor) of this forum, love to help others and appreciate the help that I receive, this is my home. Thank you to all the moderators and members, wish my own family was this well mannered!

Heather

Chris Padilla
06-18-2008, 1:05 PM
Aw, shucks! Well, it is nice to hear some positive comments about us "behind-the-scene" folks who try our best to uphold the T.O.S., which we firmly believe to help make this site what it is and generally a positive experience for most.

Now we can't possilby please all the people all the time but our continued growth says that we are probably headed in the right direction.

Here's to a steady course with as few bumps along the way as we can possibly mitigate.

Thanks for your support...it is good for everyone!

:)

Jeffrey Makiel
06-18-2008, 3:44 PM
Actualllllyyyy....I only said that sweet sticky stuff in my original post to give me an edge in the next freestuff drawing. :)

-Jeff :)

Walt Caza
06-18-2008, 4:46 PM
Agreed!
A tip of the hat to our mods.
Last time I visited another wood website, I had a chance to read colourful
tales of peepees and weewees. (I really don't know if this comment meets the TOS...but the
non-mod in me spit my evening beer all over the computer screen...Glenn)
The polluted site shall remain unnamed to protect the icky.
Long flow Sawmill Creek!
Walt
:)

ps it takes all kinds of people to make a world!

Ben Rafael
06-18-2008, 7:42 PM
It's actually pretty simple, on this site the mods follow the TOS, on another site they dont follow it and they enforce it inconsistently. It's like the difference between a good cop and a bad cop.

Rob Russell
06-18-2008, 8:02 PM
It's actually pretty simple, on this site the mods follow the TOS, on another site they dont follow it and they enforce it inconsistently. It's like the difference between a good cop and a bad cop.

Trust me - being consistent as a Moderator is a LOT harder than you might think! We don't always get it right either ... but we try. We have some pretty serious discussions among the Mods about how the TOS should be applied and about specific threads and how they should be treated. The recent changes as SMC has moved to an advertising model haven't made it any easier (not a complaint - just pointing out a perspective).

I'd also like to point out that Keith and his crew (family) put more into SMC than most folks could ever dream of - way more than the Moderators.

[RANT ON]
Based on statistics that Keith has posted, SMC is the busiest woodworking forum on the internet. Keith et al have given their time - and more - to see this forum grow into what it's become.

Frankly, while it's nice for the Mods to get a "thank you", Keith and his crew deserve a standing ovation - plus some financial support from all those folks who visit SMC each day. There are many folks who read posts every day and yet never contribute to the costs of supporting the infrastructure behind SMC.

[/RANT OFF]

By the way - Jeff, thanks for the thoughts behind your original post. Your
thoughts are appreciated!

Rob

Ben Rafael
06-18-2008, 9:18 PM
I haven't seen you guys do anything seriously wrong.
IMO, mistakenly moving a thread to a different forum is trivial. Attacking a member is another thing, which I have seen elsewhere but not here.

Matt Ocel
06-18-2008, 9:36 PM
Yup-

Everything here is first class.

Round of applause to the Moderators!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks folks! It's neat to be appreciated!

We don't receive pay....we generally do it because we enjoy the Creek and don't want to see it's flavor change.

We aren't eligble for "Free Stuff" drawings....that's okay...nobody can doubt our integrity.

But frankly, for the most part, you the majority of the membership make it easy and fun. It's never easy to ask someone to refrain from atacking someone, improperly advertising or using profanity or discussing subjects that violate the TOSs.....but we do it. We learn from the posts here.....we enjoy the comraderie and we share a little of our lives.

Keith, Jackie and Aaron deserve a lot more acknowledgements and appreciation than all the MODs combined.

But....thanks to the Contributors..financial and informational....you are what makes it worth while!

Dennis Peacock
06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks folks! It's neat to be appreciated!

We don't receive pay....we generally do it because we enjoy the Creek and don't want to see it's flavor change.

We aren't eligble for "Free Stuff" drawings....that's okay...nobody can doubt our integrity.

But frankly, for the most part, you the majority of the membership make it easy and fun. It's never easy to ask someone to refrain from atacking someone, improperly advertising or using profanity or discussing subjects that violate the TOSs.....but we do it. We learn from the posts here.....we enjoy the comraderie and we share a little of our lives.

Keith, Jackie and Aaron deserve a lot more acknowledgements and appreciation than all the MODs combined.

But....thanks to the Contributors..financial and informational....you are what makes it worth while!

Yes, Amen, and I agree.

BTW Jeff....Thank YOU. It's people like each of you that help make SMC a great place to hang out. :D