PDA

View Full Version : Some things I've built...

Ryan Sparreboom
06-18-2008, 1:32 AM
I'm fairly new to this forum, and woodworking in general. Only been doing it for about 2 or 3 years so far. Alot of my tools are hand-me-downs from my dad. But I'm starting to get alot more of what I need.
Just thought I'd share some of the things I've built. There is more, but I don't have pics of everything.

This is a decorative box made for my wife out of wenge and bird's eye maple. Finished with wipe on poly. (I had asked about cutting the splines on another post. They turned out well I feel.)

This is a wall mirror made of zebrawood and wenge, joined with polished aluminum rods. It hangs proudly in our front enterance. (I made two, the in-laws have the other)

This is a coffee table I made. It is oak, with porceline tile inlayed. I made a matching set of end tables. Stained and finished with poly. My mother just asked me to build one for her.

This was one of my favorite projects, mostly because of the smile it puts on my little boys face every time he climbs on it. He LOVES it!

Thanks for looking!

***(I think this should have fixed the Pic size issue)

Ryan Sparreboom
06-18-2008, 2:15 AM
This is a jewelry box I made for my wife last Christmas. The top and legs are Bubinga, the sides and heart in the top are Jatoba. There is a nice cubic zirconia inlayed into the heart. It was finished with the Beall wood buff system. She cryed (a good cry I was told...)

This is a mahogany shadow box I was commisioned to build for a friend. It was a gift for his wife to display her marathon medals and photos.

And this is a photo frame I made for my parents, also for last christmas. The wood is birch and has some history. It was given to me by a freinds grandfather, who now at 80+ years old, has quit his lifetime of cabinet making. He had a pile of rough birch boards sitting on the floor of his garage for at least 30 years. Some of the boards were date stamped "1953" on them. They were mostly very twisted, bowed, warped, and bent. But thick enough to machine down and still get some useful wood for such projects. Once I machined it, I was AMAZED at the figure. This frame was finished with tung oil. My dad sure appreciated the history of the wood. Oh and that's me, my beautiful wife, and our amazing son Lucas (the proud owner of the rocking motorcycle above!)

Dewey Torres
06-18-2008, 9:03 AM
Thanks for sharing your projects with us. Very nice work.
Dewey

Craig D Peltier
06-18-2008, 9:58 AM
I really like that box and mirror. Unfortunately I couldnt click on the pics. Nothing would make them bigger so I could see them.
Nice creativity!

Jim Becker
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Very nice work, Ryan.

Since you didn't upload these pictures to SMC, the sizes are what they are based on the files you linked to at PhotoBucket. SMC does no automatic resizing of linked images; it does provide thumbnails of uploaded photos to reduce bandwidth consumption for basic thread browsing, but those thumbnails are clickable to full size images. Instructions for uploading pictures to SMC are at the top of the Forum Technical Support forum.

Jim
SMC Moderator

John Thompson
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Very nice work you've done regardless of the size of the pictures. Keep it up!

Regards...

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
06-18-2008, 2:08 PM
Ryan

Nice to see another woodworker from Edmonton on the site....

Great job on the projects. I really like the motorcycle. I am going to be a grandpa in the next couple of weeks and that may be on the to do list. Any idea whats up for the next project.

(I'm thinking it should be a Morris chair) :)

Jeff Cremers
06-18-2008, 5:52 PM
Very nice work but you should have added some apes on your favorite project. (But I'm a little bias on that view)
:D
Jeff

J. Z. Guest
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Very nice work Ryan. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Eric Nickerson
06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
nice work. Do you have the link where you asked about the splines, I'm interested to learn.

Ryan Sparreboom
06-21-2008, 2:50 AM
You bet Eric. Here it is:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85749

Thanks for looking guys. I'm no pro yet. But people seem to like the things I build so.... I guess that's what matters.
And I love doing it!

Art Mulder
06-21-2008, 7:18 AM
This is a wall mirror made of zebrawood and wenge, joined with polished aluminum rods. It hangs proudly in our front enterance. (I made two, the in-laws have the other)

Good job on a Gord Graff design. I think Gord would be pleased.
Lots of ambitious pieces there for someone who says they're new at this. You're a natural, Ryan! :D The motorcycle is cool, looks like it would have been a lot of finicky work.

The picture frame is really good. I'll take a simple piece with a good story behind it, over a complex piece any day.

best,
...art

Raymond Fries
06-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Those are beautiful projects. I especially like the wenge box.

Thanks for sharing

Ryan Sparreboom
06-23-2008, 4:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it.
Art, I couldn't remember who designed that mirror. It was in an issue of Canadian Home Workshop a year or two ago (not sure which issue exactly). But Gord Graff did design it so yes, credit to him.

I'll post some more later.