PDA

View Full Version : insulated garage doors... how to finish it?

Eric Mims
06-17-2008, 11:54 PM
I have 2 metal sectional garage doors (4 sections) and am in the process of insulating my garage and 'soundproofing' it.

I've got my R30 in the ceiling so far (need to get a gable vent I guess?),
and today I put some R13 kraft backed on my garage doors.. believe it or not, the 23" batts actually stay in place with no tape or help. But I know they will rip up in no time.

Any clever ideas for a material to attach over the insulation. I'm thinking of something that will keep the insulation from puffing out, as well as protect it from jabs from wood.. looking for a cheap material to do the job and not add too much weight to the doors. any ideas?

Don Abele
06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Eric, several houses ago the prior owner had done the same thing. He held the bats in place with 1/4" luan and self-tapping screws.

Be well,

Doc

Steven DeMars
06-18-2008, 3:03 AM
I would use the corrugated plastic board like they use for political signs.
Extra insulation, white color & no maintenance . . .

Bob Powers
06-22-2008, 10:47 AM
John,

I have the Oneida 1.5 in my shop, purchased in 1995 as I recall. It has performed flawlessly. The original version had an internal filter that was a pain to remove and clean, but they make an external filter assembly that I bought three or four years ago. I don't remember costs. Oneida is very responsive to questions about their products. I* would suggest you call them at (315) 476-5151 or email them at info@oneida-air.com for information.

Christopher Ryan
06-22-2008, 10:28 PM
John,

I have the Oneida 1.5 in my shop, purchased in 1995 as I recall. It has performed flawlessly. The original version had an internal filter that was a pain to remove and clean, but they make an external filter assembly that I bought three or four years ago. I don't remember costs. Oneida is very responsive to questions about their products. I* would suggest you call them at (315) 476-5151 or email them at info@oneida-air.com for information.

????? OK, what?

Don Abele
06-22-2008, 10:41 PM
????? OK, what?

Me thinks Bob posted this reply to the wrong question. I remember reading another thread about this unit.

Be well,

Doc

Eric Mims
06-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I still haven't decided what to use yet (my main 200A breaker died on my house and the it's ancient and must be totally replaced...so that's put a stop to everything else until it gets fixed)..

I'm thinking of that 1/8 luan or masonite though.. if I could find some of that sign board I'd use it.. but I can almost guarantee it would cost more than the other choices.

Danny Thompson
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
John,

I would go with the Lie-Nielsen.

Bob Powers
06-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Me thinks you're right. My intent was to reply to a question about a used Oneida DC system. Guess I OD'ed on stupid pills.

Bob

Don Abele
06-23-2008, 4:32 PM
Me thinks you're right. My intent was to reply to a question about a used Oneida DC system. Guess I OD'ed on stupid pills.

Bob

Bob, we ALL have days like that. It's being able to laugh at yourself when you that makes it all alright. :)

Be well,

Doc

Eric Mims
06-23-2008, 4:59 PM
So, use a Lie-Nielson dust collector to insulate my garage doors? That's why I love this forum, I would have never have thought to do that!! :D

Mark Grotenhuis
06-23-2008, 9:52 PM
According to fire code you can only cover the back of the garage door with flame resistant material such as aluminum. Just a thought. Leaving the insulation exposed or putting hardboard on the back just doesn't sound safe.