PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Grinder Question

Paul Fitzgerald
06-17-2008, 6:36 PM
I just picked up a Woodcraft slow speed bench grinder and Wolverine grinding jig for sharpening lathe tools. (Yay!)

Is it okay to use it on lawn tools (lawn mower blade, loppers, etc.) or grinding other things like bolts? Or should I look into another grinder for that stuff and and dedicate the Woodcraft grinder to the lathe tools?

Thanks,

Paul

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2008, 6:42 PM
Paul,

I have the same grinder. I use it for normal grinding too. I just sharpened and balanced my lawnmower blade with it a couple of weeks ago. Keep in mind, with turning tools, you need to freshen the surface of the stone regularly. Metal build up on the wheels can cause it to burn steel rather than grind it.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2008, 7:01 PM
Paul - I have the same setup as you and use it for whatever grinding I need. One thing to remember though - the wheels that come with the Woodcraft are friable - meaning they will wear away really fast when grinding your lawn mower blades - just something else to keep in mind!

Von Bickley
06-17-2008, 7:05 PM
I have used my bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades, but not since I got a side grinder. I use a side grinder to sharpen lawn mower blade, hoes, shovels, post-hole diggers, etc.
A side grinder is a lot easier and faster than a bench grinder.......

curtis rosche
06-17-2008, 8:45 PM
is it really worth it to try to sharpen lawnmower blades? since they are only about 12$ and eventualy the wings that make the suction woear off?

Jim Becker
06-17-2008, 8:58 PM
is it really worth it to try to sharpen lawnmower blades? since they are only about 12$ and eventualy the wings that make the suction woear off?

Yes, it is. Keeping the blades share is essential if you want a good, even cut. And the blades for my mower system (3 blades) run about $60 to replace. Trust me, they will get sharpened!

------

Paul, my grinder in the shop that I use for my turning tools is equipped with a OneWay balancing kit and has somewhat premium wheels. I don't use it for grinding anything except turning tools and occasionally necessary grinding of other woodworking sharps. My mower blades get done with my hand-held 4" angle grinder...

curtis rosche
06-17-2008, 9:12 PM
ouch! $60!? thats a lot, how big of a lawn to you have that you need something that big?

Richard Madison
06-17-2008, 9:39 PM
Those 4" or 4-1/2" angle grinders from HF are super cheap when you catch them on sale. They're loud, but the two I have (for grinder and wirebrush) are holding up much better than expected.

Sharp mower blades are better for your grass, especially in the hot, dry ole summer time.

Jim Becker
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
ouch! $60!? thats a lot, how big of a lawn to you have that you need something that big?

About two acres of our four. There are three blades on the deck.

----

Richard, good point...you don't need an expensive angle grinder for basic sharpening purposes and it's not hard on the tool, especially if you do it frequently enough so that major grinding of the edge is not necessary.

Curt Fuller
06-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm not familiar with what type wheels come with that grinder. But if you have a coarse one, like 60 grit, use it for the mower blade and other day to day grinding, and turning tool shaping. But if it didn't come with a finer wheel like 100 or 120 grit, you might want to by one for the actual sharpening of your turning tools and save it for just tool sharpening.

Richard Madison
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Curt,
Angle grinder not really suited for lathe tool sharpening. It is hand held, good for stuff you can clamp in the vice like mower blades, shovels and hoes, etc. Also good for cleaning up welding projects done by shakey and unskilled welder. I can stick stuff together, but it isn't pretty.

Don Eddard
06-18-2008, 5:15 AM
Curt,
Angle grinder not really suited for lathe tool sharpening. It is hand held, good for stuff you can clamp in the vice like mower blades, shovels and hoes, etc. Also good for cleaning up welding projects done by shakey and unskilled welder. I can stick stuff together, but it isn't pretty.
I'm pretty sure Curt was referring to the Woodcraft grinder, not the angle grinder. ;)

Scott Lux
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
shovels and hoes

I thought I was the only one who sharpened those. It makes a huge difference in the amount of work involved required for a hole.

Richard Madison
06-18-2008, 7:51 PM
Scott,
Since my wife, the landscaper and horticulturist of the family, does most of the work requiring those tools, it is in my best interest to keep them well sharpened for her. If I have to dig up something, well that's what the tractor is for.

Paul Fitzgerald
06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Well thanks guys! Lots of good info.

I hadn't even thought about using an angle grinder for non lathe tool sharpening! Now I've got an excuse to go pick up a new tool. Yay!

Thanks!

Paul

Brian Brown
06-19-2008, 1:51 AM
So am I a total neanderthal or what? I sharpen my mower blade and garden tools with a flat file. It's fast, efficient, and I can even get into sharp corners if necessary (my mower blade has one). The best part is, even on my best day, I can't get it hot enough to make the blade lose it's temper. I find that it is faster than setting up the grinder, and I don't get dirt and lawn gunk on my grinder wheels. A word of caution... Be careful. I slipped while sharpening a wicked little Japanese gardening knife for SWMBO, and will have the scar forever to prove it.