PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2" angle grinder preferences?

Benjamin Dahl
06-17-2008, 6:06 PM
I am looking to get a small angle grinder and my research has narrowed it down to Bosch, Makita or maybe a Dewalt. I will use it for some grinding but also maybe some woodcarving/sculpting. Also some occasional tile cutting. Any preferences or suggestions? Would a 7-8 amp model be sufficient? Those seem pretty reasonably priced from what I have found.
Thanks,
Ben

Gordon Harner
06-17-2008, 6:41 PM
I don't have a particular preference but I do have a cautionary story. About ayear ago I investigated a serious accident involving a 41/2" angle grinder. Without going into all the bloody details, the primary cause was the switch design. There are 2 types of switches for these tools, one type has a typical push button to lock the switch on. The other type locks on by rocking the switch down into the tool body as you slide it up. With this design it is too esy to lock the tool on inadvertently. Most of the manufacturers offer either type of switch. Based on the accident I investigated, I wouldn't have one with the slide switch. It's too easy to leave the tool on.

Matt Ocel
06-17-2008, 6:48 PM
I got the Dewalt D28402, never have had a power problem. I cut a lot of tile, cement board, gind off bolts.

I feel confident and would recommend the D28402.

Jim O'Dell
06-17-2008, 7:12 PM
I have the Ridgid unit. The head is an exact duplicate of the Metabo grinder. I have seen mentioned the Metabo builds this, but maybe only the gearing head. I've used mine hard and it works great. Torquey little thing. Stay away from the little cheap units. I had one catch on fire while standing on a 6' ladder using it!!! Jim.

David Freed
06-17-2008, 7:23 PM
I have a Dewalt. I can't remember the model, but it does a great job.

Frank Drew
06-17-2008, 7:35 PM
Hard to beat Metabo when it comes to grinders, but I know they're not inexpensive. I don't know if it's still the case, but some years ago they had enough market control that they were the only brand of anything with virtually no discounting.

Dan Lautner
06-17-2008, 7:45 PM
Hilti and Metabo make high quality small grinders. Some of the models have a brake which is a great safety feature. Make sure you at least get vtc and a good clutch, these are very dangerous tools if they get away from you.

Dan

Matt Meiser
06-17-2008, 9:09 PM
I have two of the $18.99 Harbor Freight ones and one DeWalt that is something like 9 amp. I use the Dewalt with a wire cup and for most grinding, but the other two perform admirably as well. I originally bought one of the $50 Dewalts and took it back because the Harbor Freight ones were just as powerful and you can buy almost 3 for the same price. I consider them to be one of those Harbor Freight gems.

Kent E. Matthew
06-17-2008, 9:13 PM
I have been using a Bosch at work for about three years now. One of the best I have ever used.

Prashun Patel
06-17-2008, 9:17 PM
I also think you should buy a grinder based on switch design. They're not complicated animals, and the diffs between brands are negligible besides switches.

The BORG's are constantly running clearance sales on Dewalt and Makita AG's . I'd get one of those; you'll probably end up with a free 12v driver or corded drill or palm sander to boot!

David Freed
06-17-2008, 9:31 PM
Make sure you at least get vtc and a good clutch, these are very dangerous tools if they get away from you.

Dan

I have used several different grinders and never seen or heard of a clutch on a grinder. What brand did you see that on?

Jim Becker
06-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a Dewalt and have been pleased with it for the many years I've been using it for things appropriate to its capabilities. Noisy bugger, however! (Nature of the beast....)

Bart Leetch
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Never never buy a angle grinder with a slide on off switch. Buy only a trigger switch style angle grinder. If for some reason you lose control or lose your grip on the grinder the slide style grinder will keep right on running a do who knows what damage to you or someone standing near by... not to mention anything else that gets in the way.

I have the Sears professional 4" angle grinder & it take a lickin & keeps on tickin. I used work in a sheet metal shop both light & heavy metal... commercial kitchen hoods & other custom kitchen items as well as plywood plant repairs & blow pipe. We used Sears 4" professional grinders & they held up well. Mine will even run on 12 volts. Of course we did have 9" grinders too.

Steven DeMars
06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Milwaukee & Metabo is the best hands down . . . . it is the choice of most pipe-fitters here in the PetroChem industrial corridor . . . I doubt seriously you will ever use or abuse a 4 1/2" grinder as badly as a pipe-fitter. DO NOT get anything but a paddle or trigger style switch . . . .

With a knotted wire wheel mounted a "little 4 1/2" grinder" will suck the shirt off of you and enough skin to keep the ER busy trying to figure the best way to put you back together again . . .

(First hand knowledge on the above)

"Curley":)

Bill Spievak
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I suggest you decide how much you'll be using the grinder in a single streatch of time. If you'll only be using it for 15 minutes or less at a time then an inexpensive grinder is fine. However, it you are going to be using is for an hour or so at a time then you'll want a unit that is low on vibration and comfortable to control. I have a few that I paid about $20.00 for and I use then to cut bricks, concrete sidding, or whatever. When I'm cutting expensive tile or using it to cut copes for trim I use a much more expensive grinder. The cheaper tools will wear quicker, cutting brick and concrete creates dust that is hard on the internals and the cheaper ones aren't as well protected against dust and dirt, even when I use the compressor to blow them out frequently. I have a Flex and a Metabo that are smooth, easy to handle, have anti kick back clutches, and don't have a lot of wobble or vibration. The cheap units, as I said purchased for less than $20.00, are throw aways and aren't comfortable to use for more than a few minutes at a time.

Dan Lautner
06-18-2008, 12:50 AM
"I have used several different grinders and never seen or heard of a clutch on a grinder. What brand did you see that on?"

I have the 5" Metabo (WB11-125). It has a brake that stops the wheel quickly and a clutch that helps prevent a kickback if the wheel pinches. I think most of the Metabos and some of the Hiltis have the clutch now. I have used a lot of small grinders and this is the best by far.

Dan

Doug Swanson
06-18-2008, 7:46 AM
It depends on how much you'll use it (imho) I have a harbor freight model and it works for me. I use my occasionally and for $16 it is just fine. Now if I were to be using one day in and out then I would think about getting a more expensive one. they are handy items though and I wouldn't be without one.

ds

Mike Heidrick
06-18-2008, 7:55 AM
I purchased a 6154-20 12amp Milwaukee 4.5 magnum. Love it. Great grinder. Should be my last small one I bet. I also own a 9" Bosch grinder I inherited and WOW that is a monster. Usually just grab the Milwaukee.

Also bought a Chicago Pneumatic 120 degree die grinder for some close quarter detail grinding and polishing. Sweet combo with it and the Milwaukee and Bosch. Depending on the cutter and grinder wheel sizes needed, a pneumatic die grinder might be exactly what you need - for carving and small cutting it would rock. Lots of sweet accessories in the 1/4" spindle class. And the CP I bought is infinitly speed adjustable all the way to a top end of 22,000 rpm.

Chuck Saunders
06-18-2008, 8:33 AM
Interesting, First let me say that if you buy a Metabo, not only will you never regret it, you will never even ponder if you regret getting it. That said I have a Dewalt and I am happy with it (I don't remember the model 3 but it has the metal housing in the front). It is the one tool that I do not prefer Milwaukee. Also, I prefer a lock switch over a trigger on a 4-1/2 because I am often having to change my manner of holding the tool to get to where I need. I do prefer the trigger on the larger grinders since they are heavy enough to require basically one grip to operate. I have not had the best results with the 4" Makita and I did not like the paddle trigger on the Milwaukee.

Benjamin Dahl
06-18-2008, 8:35 AM
thanks a bunch everyone, especially for the safety tips and ideas on what to look for. I'll stop at a couple of stores and see what feels good. When I used to work on a fishing boat in Massachusetts we used larger 7" models that could really take off a lot of material but I feel I don't need anything that big now.
Thanks again,
Ben

Brian Penning
06-18-2008, 8:36 AM
If you are going to be doing some sculpting using the Kutzall wheels be careful because the wheels wouldn't fit the Dewalt I had due to the bore hole size. So I bought a Bosch and it fits fine.
A paddle switch is a good idea.

Craig McCormick
06-18-2008, 8:56 AM
I had a Makita which was stolen one night when the garage door was left open. I replaced it with a Hitachi. The Hitachi has more power and costs less.

I also ran a commercial remodel job for a friend of mine last fall and he had a bunch of HF angle grinders on the site. I will probably replace the Hitachi with two of those if it ever dies or disappears.

AZCRAIG

Steven Wilson
06-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Metabo. When I was looking for welding gear the grinder of choice at all of the welding supply stores I visited was Metabo. I figured they know what they're doing with metal.

Steven Hardy
06-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I am looking to get a small angle grinder and my research has narrowed it down to Bosch, Makita or maybe a Dewalt. I will use it for some grinding but also maybe some woodcarving/sculpting. Also some occasional tile cutting. Any preferences or suggestions? Would a 7-8 amp model be sufficient? Those seem pretty reasonably priced from what I have found.
Thanks,
Ben

Milwaukee still offers replacement parts for power tools that I purchased from them 20 years ago. They offer 13 differant models of 4.5 to 6 inch grinders.The Borg's are not a good choice if you want premium tools...but great if you want cheap and disposable.

Wood carving??? I suggest this one . Why would anyone pay for the features found in a router but not expect the same in a GRINDER used for wood?

"The 6154-20 Super Mag 4-1/2 inch 12 amp grinder offers extra heavy duty grinding capability in a compact body grip ergonomic design. This tool offers variable speed control 4000-11,000 RPM allowing the operator more control. Electronic feedback maintains speed and torque under load conditions. The power to weight ratio makes it perfect for those extra heavy duty confined area grinding projects. An integrated Lock-Off button is featured in the paddle switch. It also features a Lock-On button for continuous use applications. The tool is double insulated (two prong cord) and incorporates the industry standard 5/8-11 threaded arbor. It also has spiral bevel gears for optimum transmission of torque to the work piece. The comfortable body grip style is easy to hold onto, and in conjunction with the supplied side handle, allows for maximum operator control. The side handle can be attached in three locations. The wheel guard can be moved around the spindle (without the use of tools) for greatest operator protection. Sold as a grinder with guard, this tool can be used as a sander when a 4-1/2 inch backing pad and disc are attached. "
ps...quick-lock cords up to 25 feet long and are interchangeable with other Milwaukee quick lock cord tools. (Extension cords are a pain )

William Addison
06-18-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd vote for the HF, they're almost, but not quite, junk. They do last pretty well and you can buy several of them for the price of one decent one. I often have three of them when I work with metal. One for cutting, one for grinding, and one with a brush.

Dan Lautner
06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
"The Borg's are not a good choice if you want premium tools...but great if you want cheap and disposable"

The Borgs actually carry plenty of premium tools if you actually know what a premium tools is. The Makita scms or the Bosch Jigsaw are hardly cheap disposable tools. The Borgs carry many Bosch, makita and Milwakee products that are "premium". A certain Borg also carries the full line of Hiliti tools which are superior in every way to the american/china competition aka Dewalt Rigid PC etc...

Dan

Jacob Reverb
06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I'd vote for the HF, they're almost, but not quite, junk. They do last pretty well and you can buy several of them for the price of one decent one. I often have three of them when I work with metal. One for cutting, one for grinding, and one with a brush.

Same here. I don't think you can go wrong on the HF 4-1/2" grinder on sale for maybe $15. I've beaten the daylights out of mine and I'm still on the first set of brushes (they send you an extra set with it).

Wayne Cannon
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I find the Milwaukee is very comfortable to use for extended grinding -- e.g., grinding concrete joints flush -- as well as cutting steel, concrete, and stone. It has a long, feather-touch switch that is comfortable and easy to hold without locking (though it does have a lock).

Chuck Saunders
06-18-2008, 1:49 PM
Same here. I don't think you can go wrong on the HF 4-1/2" grinder on sale for maybe $15. I've beaten the daylights out of mine and I'm still on the first set of brushes (they send you an extra set with it).
I have a couple of the HF grinders and I have found that first thing you do is throw away the grinding wheel that came with it. Second, throw away the grinder that came with it. I just could not handle the vibration and rough feel that the grinders gave me.

Jacob Reverb
06-18-2008, 2:37 PM
grinding concrete joints flush -- as well as cutting steel, concrete, and stone

That's the thing...if you're doing stuff like that, you're going to get vibration, period.

You're also going to trash the tool in pretty short order, due to all the rock dust, cement, etc., that gets into the works.

IMHO, the designer nametag ain't worth the extra $50 or $100 you're going to pay for the NameBrand® over the China Freight version, especially when either way the tool is going to go into the trash inside of a year. It's kinda like buying a $2300 cabinet saw when you don't know a rabbet from a frog -- a waste of $.

So far, my "piece of junk" China Freight has outlasted two DeWalts that cost 3X to 5X the price of the China Freight.

So now I just spray-paint my HF grinders yellow or red and still feel cool. :cool:

Matt Ocel
06-18-2008, 3:21 PM
Cotton tail or Lepard?

P.S. got my dewalt 3 years ago, I run it hard, and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

BTW - The big orange retail giant had them on sale a couple weeks ago.
2 - 4 - 1.
I had to ask myself - Why would you want two? Peculiar sale I thought.

Matt Meiser
06-18-2008, 4:35 PM
I had to ask myself - Why would you want two? Peculiar sale I thought.

If you are doing welding, multiples is very handy--one with a grinding wheel and one with a grinding disc (like heavy-duty sandpaper) or flap disc. Plus you might use a knotted cup and a cutoff wheel somewhere in there.

Cary Falk
06-18-2008, 6:33 PM
I have a 4.5" Ryobi that is still kicking after 3 or 4 years.

Bruce Wrenn
06-18-2008, 9:30 PM
I have two B&D Industrial ones that are almost THIRTY years old. Same basic machine as the DeWalts. I can't kill them. Only repair was to replace a cord end that got damaged. Used both of them today to clean up before and after some welding.

Brad Townsend
06-18-2008, 9:50 PM
Am I the only one that has a Porter-Cable?:D Since it's the only one I've ever used, I really can't say if it is good or bad compared to others, but it has worked fine for me. Has a good solid feel to it and is easy to mount handle to operator's preference. Also has a trigger "paddle" type switch with a spring-loaded safety tab in the paddle, which strikes me as a good combination from a safety standpoint. It shuts down when dropped, is difficult to turn on accidentally, yet the safety is not so cumbersome that it makes the tool difficult to use. My only complaint is that the wrench used to change wheels has no way of being attached to the tool and on the rare occasions when I use the grinder, I always have to hunt for the wrench.

Fatih EROL
09-08-2021, 5:26 AM
I have two B&D Industrial ones that are almost THIRTY years old. Same basic machine as the DeWalts. I can't kill them. Only repair was to replace a cord end that got damaged. Used both of them today to clean up before and after some welding. (https://handtools-reviews.com/makita-angle-grinder-repair-manual-service-and-reviews-new-2021/)
30 years? A very good time...

Brian Holcombe
09-08-2021, 7:59 AM
This is an old thread, but I’d be curious if anyone had used Sohner, a German tool brand. Metabo used to be the go-to but they don’t appear to be the same as they were when I last used them.

George Yetka
09-08-2021, 8:25 AM
It depends on use. My welding crews get metabo. They are 3-4 times the price of many but last 10 times longer under hard use. If its for the house you can get away with anything. I have a bunch of bosch's laying around that have held up pretty well. and i believe they were 40 a piece. Like anything else the guys usually remove the guards. I wouldnt do that if you werent comfy with it

Jack Frederick
09-08-2021, 11:55 AM
I use mine mostly on welding projects, althogh I do have diamond wheels for them. I have a Metabo that I’ve had for over 30 yrs and it has been excellent. I kinda limit it to wire brush duty now. My go to grinder is the Makita 9564 CV. It was pricey as I recall, but at 14.3 watts, it never bogs down. Do check the wattage on your choices. It does make a difference. Under powered grinders are a pitn. I have the 7” Makita for serious work.

Warren Lake
09-08-2021, 12:14 PM
have three Makitas and die grinders and other air stuff. Of the makitas the one i use most often is the only one with a speed control. I like to slow them down then go up to what I need, get better control that way. Often dont need them running on full speed. Milwaukee has a battery powered one id like to try but no speed control didnt look at it till they ad that.

Rich Engelhardt
09-09-2021, 3:57 AM
My Harbor Freight ( Drill Master) one is at least 10 years old & still going strong.
I bought it as a one time use type of tool and found out how handy it is to have around.

They had them on some kind of super sale a year or so ago so I bought another one - just so I have a backup in the event I'm in the middle of something when this one dies.

Chuck Saunders
09-09-2021, 9:40 AM
Metabo used to be the go-to but they don’t appear to be the same as they were when I last used them.
The big issue with Metabo is that they have diluted their brand with the Hitachi Power Tool name. When you see Metabo HPT it is not the same tool as Metabo.

Jim Dwight
09-09-2021, 9:57 AM
I bought my first years ago to cut ceramic tile. I think it came from Northern Hydraulic and was about $20. I figured the tile dust would ruin the bearings and it would be a throw away. Still works fine. It's probably 20 years old. I bought another cheap HF unit to have a flapper wheel on so I don't have to change. It is lighter duty but works fine for a flapper wheel.

More recently I got a 7 inch and 4.5 inch cordless Milwaukee. They are now my favorites. Not sure I will cut tile with them any time soon, however. The smaller one is the most useful - the big one is a beast but that is not usually what I need. The smaller one came with 5 amp hour batteries which really increase the weight. Hasn't bothered me enough to get some small ones, however.

IMHO, a right angle grinder is pretty hard to mess up and about any brand (even HF) will work just fine. I would get a battery powered one that uses the batteries you already have.

Dave Sabo
09-09-2021, 9:58 AM
Metabo HPT is not a Metabo !

Real Metabo grinders still say Metabo only and are made in Germany. For the most part anyway. They’ve branched out with Chinese manuf. for a few pieces.

The stone top guys I see like Makita grinders. The shop metalworkers seem to prefer DeWalt , but I’ve never asked why. Site metalworkers use Metabo. I like Metabo best , but must say I have a Ryobi that was purchased on an out of town job when we forgot the Metabo. That was 10-12 years ago and it’s still running great. Use it for the really crappy small jobs like tuck pointing, floor grinding, slab and brick cutting ect.. Can’t seem to kill the thing , though I have replaced the brushes once. Gets loaned out too. Quite surprised , as I got it as a throwaway for a one time use. Go figure.

Mike Henderson
09-09-2021, 9:59 AM
I don't use a grinder a lot. I got the DeWalt cordless and have been satisfied.

Mike

Brian Holcombe
09-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Metabo HPT is not a Metabo !

Real Metabo grinders still say Metabo only and are made in Germany. For the most part anyway. They’ve branched out with Chinese manuf. for a few pieces.

The stone top guys I see like Makita grinders. The shop metalworkers seem to prefer DeWalt , but I’ve never asked why. Site metalworkers use Metabo. I like Metabo best , but must say I have a Ryobi that was purchased on an out of town job when we forgot the Metabo. That was 10-12 years ago and it’s still running great. Use it for the really crappy small jobs like tuck pointing, floor grinding, slab and brick cutting ect.. Can’t seem to kill the thing , though I have replaced the brushes once. Gets loaned out too. Quite surprised , as I got it as a throwaway for a one time use. Go figure.

Ah, I think I’ll try Sohner next time I need an angle grinder.

Tom M King
09-09-2021, 10:41 AM
I thought maybe I'd posted in this thread already, but checked, and I haven't.

The only type of tool I have more of, than 4-1/2" grinders, is routers. I don't even know how many I have. I don't think any, or many, manufacturers are left out.

The smoothest tailed one I have, and the most pleasant to use, because of the barrel size, and shape, is a Makita.

For cheap ones, the Hitachi/Metabo are hard to kill. I had guys running them all one Summer, removing old paint from an 1850 house. The guys were in air conditioned full supplied air suits. I bought those grinders because they were on sale for 39.95, and figured they'd only last a couple of days. Those same grinders, used all that Summer of 2016, are still working, and the bearings not making any noise yet.

I buy the cheap Skil, or whatever other brands places like Walmart sells, to use with diamond wheels, cutting slots for chimney flashing, and foundation flashing for waterproofing systems, with a water hose running on the blade. I know they aren't intended for that, but they serve their purpose well. I think they typically go for less than 30 bucks. The bearings do wear out, in maybe a hundred feet of masonry cutting, but it's just a cost of doing the job. They are considered disposable. I wouldn't put a good one to that job.

I'd say just buy one when you need one, and find it on sale. I keep a number in the metal shop, and another number of them for house work. Buy what makes you happy. I doubt it's a tool that will make much difference for limited use as to whether you have the "best", or not, but know ownership is one of the most important factors for hobbyists.

Brian Holcombe
09-09-2021, 12:53 PM
I don’t know if that is directed at me or not, but I’m surely not a hobbyist and I’m not interested in throw-away tools. I worked in a shop making ultrasonic tanks for a while and we used Dynabrade belt sanders and metabo grinders. I bought a Dynabrade handheld belt sander a year or so ago, and that thing is sweet. Figure I’ll repeat the experience at some point with the grinder, otherwise I don’t need them very often.

People can buy what they want but I’m not sponsoring the drive to the bottom approach of many manufactures living on name.

Dave Sabo
09-09-2021, 1:37 PM
Tom isn’t a hobbyist and neither am I .

You’re welcome to your opinion and to buy and support whomever you see fit. What both of are are saying is that cheap disposable tools can sometimes provide great value - especially when looked at through a management lens on how to best allocate capital on a particular job.

Are we saying YOU should buy a cheap tHrow away grinder ? Nope.
Are we saying they are the same level in quality ? Nope.

We are saying that no one should dismiss considering one out of hand.

btw - it’s Suhner. And they do not have a very large or established presence in the USA. What they do is is not far
from my base of operations.

Mark Bolton
09-09-2021, 2:07 PM
For cheap ones, the Hitachi/Metabo are hard to kill.

Gosh, Ive got two Metabo's in the shop, a 6" and a 4.5" both electronic and I would not call them cheap (edit**you may mean the new hitatchi/metabo home center grinders). They are by far the ballsy-est grinders I have and were far from cheap. The electronic grinders you cant bog down period. They run on 90 volts and hold 30 volts back to be applied as load increases. They are beast. My biggest hate about the 6" Metabo is the slide switch and I will agree with post #2 in this thread, those switches are DANGEROUS. Ive posted this here before... had a kid from vocational school working from me on Co-Op program and he grabbed that grinder with a cup wheel on it and was callous and horsing around a bit and the cup wheel grabbed the belly of his t-shirt (he was a large individual) and thank goodness he was a stout farm kid and I saw it coming before it caught his shirt. It wound up his shirt on the cup wheel and I was already in a full sprint.. before the cup wheel made it to his ample belly, I did a MLB slide into home and kicked the cord out of the wall. No one but me touches that grinder since. Paddle switches only. You drop the tool or lose control of the tool and its off.

We've got 2 makita 4" grinders, a dewalt 4", the two metabo's, and now a 5" bosh variable speed. I love the bosch but honestly the variable speed is a joke as the grinder will overheat quickly on lower speeds which is annoying because I love bosch tools and I love the grinder wide open but it has to be babied at anything other than wide open.

Electronic grinders that hold RPM are monsters but if you dont need it you dont need it. Any decent angle grinder (other than HF) is fine for most.

Brian Holcombe
09-09-2021, 2:52 PM
Tom isn’t a hobbyist and neither am I .

You’re welcome to your opinion and to buy and support whomever you see fit. What both of are are saying is that cheap disposable tools can sometimes provide great value - especially when looked at through a management lens on how to best allocate capital on a particular job.

Are we saying YOU should buy a cheap tHrow away grinder ? Nope.
Are we saying they are the same level in quality ? Nope.

We are saying that no one should dismiss considering one out of hand.

btw - it’s Suhner. And they do not have a very large or established presence in the USA. What they do is is not far
from my base of operations.

Last sentence in Tom’s post is “. I doubt it's a tool that will make much difference for limited use as to whether you have the "best", or not, but know ownership is one of the most important factors for hobbyists.”

I wasn’t sure what to make of that comment and wether or not it was directed at my inquiry. Seemed like actually it was being suggested that just a throw-away grinder is good enough. That's likely accurate (a cheap grinder is good enough) but not reflective of my intentions and was not what I was asking about that brand for.

If not, then disregard and if so then that is my feeling on the subject. I doubt that Tom cares if I disagree with his approach to purchasing angle grinders which suit his intentions.