PDA

View Full Version : looking for wood suppliers in Southeast

David Eppler
06-17-2008, 4:24 PM
I am picking up my father's woodworking shop in August and will be driving from Wichita KS to Tampa FL. Since I will have a large truck, I was wondering if there are any wood suppliers I should try to stop by on the drive (you know, just to break up the monotony;) ). I am looking forward to picking up his machines and itching to start planning the trip. (I do wish he was keeping them though but he has promised to come visit me so we can spend some time working together in the shop)

Earl Kelly
06-17-2008, 5:13 PM
David,

I don't know if it's out of the way for you or not but try EXOTIC WOODS OF THE WORLD STORE 120 HENDERSON ST. MIDDLETON,TN.(731)-212-1694.

He has an Ebay store - EXOTIC WOODS OF THE WORLD.

David Eppler
06-17-2008, 5:26 PM
I am trying to plan a route where I can stop by some neat places along the way. I will have a MAJOR tool gloat when I come back that week. I will likely be driving through Memphis so that will work.

Neal Clayton
06-17-2008, 6:43 PM
there's a guy in bay st louis, MS that has old growth longleaf pine for 5 dollars a board foot, in your choice of cut from a squared log. he's got stuff as large as clear 16x16 beams on hand in his yard. he even had one 32x32 30 foot beam, clear of knots (he's proud of that one though, wouldn't give me a price on it, heh).

he'll gladly write and guarantee 10-20 growth rings per inch on the invoice. i got 3000 board feet from him, wasn't all clear, but it was better than F&S, maybe 1 tight knot in every five 16 foot boards.

these aren't salvaged beams full of nail holes, he's salvaging old trees that got topped during hurricane katrina.

8291 Highway 90
Bay Saint Louis, MS , 39520-9353
Phone: 228-463-0950

his name is andy adams

he's happy to sell scraps from larger orders that he has laying around for cash as well, if you just want a few pieces for turning or picture frames or other such things.

David Eppler
06-20-2008, 3:27 PM
Thanks. It is kind of funny that I am so excited about planning my trip around wood stores (I know guys on my motorcycle lists that plan their trips around their favorite manufacturer's stores). I don't want to spend my time criscrossing several states but I plan to use 3 days to drive the 1500 miles so I will have time to stop.

I seem to recall seeing "lumberyards" on the side of the road in the smokey mountains. NC is too far out of the way but it is looking like I will see northern Georgia so there should be some lumber in that area.

Tim Plantz
06-20-2008, 3:37 PM
David- If you plan on driving through Atlanta on your way back south, check out Peach State Lumber Products in Kennesaw. Its where I by all my hardwood. Great supply, great variety and great people.

Steve Schoene
06-20-2008, 4:01 PM
Get out your map and trace out your projected route. Then go to www.woodfinder.com (http://www.woodfinder.com) and search for sources of the kind of materials you are looking for.

Tim Thomas
06-20-2008, 6:25 PM
If you come through Birmingham you could check out Alabama Hardwoods.

http://www.hardwoodweb.com/distribution/hia.cfm

This is where I get my stuff. They have what I consider to be a huge selection of hardwoods, including some big slabs of exotics like bubinga. In their warehouse that have stacks and stacks of sapele, mahogany, poplar, white oak, etc. They also have high quality cabinet grade plywood. The people there have also been really helpful and the prices are good. They are south of Birmingham and very close to I-65 so it probably wouldn't be much out of your way. I believe they are only open from 8-5 on weekdays and from 8-noon on Saturday.

jim gossage
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
also, check out atlanta hardwoods; prices are a bit high, but the woodi is qood quality. also, suwanee lumber in northern georgia.

Jim Andrew
06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
You need to check out Forestry Forum, there are lots of sawmills between Wichita and Florida. And some pretty nice guys too. Jim

Spencer Hochstetler
06-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Here's (http://johnmcgaw.com/etnsawmills.html) a few in East Tennessee.

David Eppler
06-23-2008, 4:59 PM
I am flexible in my route planning and you all have given me some great ideas for places to stop. Dad has a bunch of 8' walnut and oak already but I was thinking that as I am driving it will be the best time to pick up some more wood and skip on the shipping.

My trailer will be loaded with my father's entire shop (except bandsaw and lathe). Biggest gloat will be his PM66 but the toolbench my grandfather built before I was born is cool too along with the jointer, planer, 3HP router and table (modeled after Norm's) and the home made dedicated router mortiser. Not to mention all his bench tools and hand tools. Now, can I just convince the LOML that I "need" her half of the garage????

Nancy Laird
06-23-2008, 5:41 PM
David, if you go through Troy, Tennessee, on US51 south, there's a great little sawmill there called Hanafee Brothers. It's where we buy all of our oak and maple, and they have plenty of other species too, like cherry, walnut, and sassafras. Tell Don we sent you.