PDA

View Full Version : IMac Desk found on a Computer Forum

Bob Carlson
06-17-2008, 4:05 PM
I was thinking about building a computer desk for my grand-son and was looking for a few ideas online when I stumbled upon this a few weeks ago.

The kid who built it doesn't seem to know much about woodworking but took the opportunity to learn from a friend and use his shop when he got the chance. I really enjoyed reading through the story and watching his progress. He didn't necessarily build it the way I would have... but it still turned out to be quite the project! It was good to read his comments about the hard work and satisfaction he got from making it.

I just thought you guys would like looking at some woodworking from a different type of person's perspective. (very unexperienced)

Chris Padilla
06-17-2008, 4:35 PM
Hi Bob,

I rather enjoyed the post (I think he did fine with the ww'ing but had a hard time with the finish, something a lot of us have issues with! ;) ) but unfortunately, it is against the T.O.S. (Terms of Service) to post links to other forums here so I had to remove it.

Here is a way to find it: go to the macrumors forum and do a search on My Homemade Desk, it ought to show right at the top of the search page.

Cheers and Sorry

Bob Carlson
06-17-2008, 4:45 PM
Oh, sorry about that Chris. I did not realize.
You can also find it by searching on google for 'homemade imac desk'.

Oh, and I have a lot of trouble with finishing too!

Charles P. Wright
06-17-2008, 4:52 PM
Oh, and I have a lot of trouble with finishing too!
Me too, it is my least favorite part of the whole thing, which is why I think Adirondack chairs are so fun. I feel really bad for him after seeing the pictures of the haze, bubbles, fish scale, and stripping process.

Brandon Shew
06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, sorry about that Chris. I did not realize.

Nor did I, but I found it after carefully reading the TOS. Personally, I fail to see what harm can occur by linking to another forum for legitimate, non commercial reasons. (Heaven forbid you might realize that there are actually other forums out there - and even worse that you might actually read them and not just SMC.) Watch out for the Gestapo;)!

Needless to say - interesting desk.

Jim Becker
06-19-2008, 9:12 AM
The prohibition to linking to other forums is there because too many other forums do not have the restrictions on language and certain topics that are hallmark to SMC's family friendly community. It has nothing to do with any desire to limit access for "competitive" reasons...which would be impossible anyway. There are other creative ways to direct folks to something interesting or important without a direct link if you think it through... ;)

Oh, and discussion of moderation is also prohibited. Please don't go there. Questions about policy should be posed in the Forum Technical Support forum here at SMC.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Don Bullock
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Jim, thanks for the clarification on the TOS.

I found quickly the desk through the suggested Google search. The builder has some good ideas for a computer desk. They will help as I design a desk for my new office. Thanks for the post.