PDA

View Full Version : FINISH method? - Help pls

Joe D'Attilio
06-17-2008, 2:38 PM
Per my prev thread regarding my finished pens...Here is my finish process:

Sand thru grit 80,120,220,320- Whiping w/ DNA each grit.

Switch to MM 1500 - 12,000 again DNA thru each step. PSI MMESHPADS

A moderate coat of EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax

and my last step is Mylands High Build Friction Polish; allow to dry

Finish off with a light sanding of 12,000 grit again.

I have tried CA twice now but have not had "great" results, perhaps I need to envoke the virtue of patience.

MY problem I guess is I have never been properly trained with it and I'm a "hands-on" kinda-guy

feel free to comment, critique or tell me how to make it BETTER! :)

Greg Ketell
06-17-2008, 3:25 PM
The problem with EEE and Friction polish is that they both leave you with nothing more than a wax finish. While that is great on a object d' art it just does not hold up on a pen. Even a perfect finish will be gone in a week of really using the pen.

Check out this thread where we are discussing different finishes that last:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=771970

Over on penturners the consensus is that CA is the hardest finish available followed by Lacquer and Urethanes. The nice thing about CA is that you can take it up to MM12000 and have a super shine or stop around MM4000 for a nice semi-gloss that really lets the wood show through.

GK
GK

Robert McGowen
06-17-2008, 3:28 PM
A moderate coat of EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax

and my last step is Mylands High Build Friction Polish; allow to dry

feel free to comment, critique or tell me how to make it BETTER! :)

Maybe I am missing something (likely :rolleyes:) but I would reverse your last two steps. I think that you would want to put wax over shellac (Mylands) for a final shine, not shellac over wax.

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2008, 4:03 PM
I would also reverse the last two steps.

Joe D'Attilio
06-17-2008, 4:15 PM
Per Greg Ketell's, advice and excellent tutorial I'm going to change my finish method :D

But in the meantime till I gather the supplies I'll try switching for a pen or 2

I would also reverse the last two steps.

Mike Berndt
06-17-2008, 5:13 PM
I have had very good results with triple EEE, Mylands friction polish and then shellawax cream. Sometimes I even put a coat of Hut Crystal coat as a final step to get that ultimate shine. I get a very gloss finish that you can see yourself in!!! I hear the beal system produces unbelievable results!!!

Dave Rudy
06-17-2008, 9:31 PM
I have recently had problems with Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer, followed by EEE followed by Shellawax -- finish is too thick, does not rub out well.

Is there a problem with these in combination?

Larry Gottlieb
06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I finished a pen with CA on one half and EEE plus Shellawax on the other half and then subjected them to a lot of rubbing to simulate use. The CA finish outlasted the EEE plus Shellawax.

I now use the BLO/CA method with 2 or 3 coats followed by EEE and then Renaissance wax after sitting overnight. This seems to work well.

Larry

robert hainstock
06-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Two or three drops of gap filling CA ON A SMALL PIECE OF PAPER TOWEL, followed by the application of 2-3 drops of BLO, followed by another application or two; then buffedwill give you a quick very glossy, pretty durable finish. the best part, is less than twenty mins. :):):)
Bob