PDA

View Full Version : $675,000

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
For a car. A Used car. A car in great shape
a Cobra GT on Barrett Jackson just sold for $675,000

And I don't even recognize the buyer's name.

Who says the economy is in the tank?

My Fish Monger's place is packed every weekend. Almost no orders for less than $100.00 many are several times that.

Who says the economy is in the tank?

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
If by "Cobra GT" you mean one of the ten or so existing Cobra coupes from 1965-66, that price actually sounds quite a bit low.

My favorite "big auction number" is still the $959,500 paid a couple years back...for a guitar.
(Ok, it was Eric Clapton's "Blackie", but still...)

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2008, 1:38 PM
If by "Cobra GT" you mean one of the ten or so existing Cobra coupes from 1965-66, that price actually sounds quite a bit low.

Yes but it's still a lot of money for a guy I never heard of to pay for a used car.

There must be a lot of expendable income floating around for Barret Jackson to be able to auction cars like they do.

My favorite "big auction number" is still the $959,500 paid a couple years back...for a guitar.
(Ok, it was Eric Clapton's "Blackie", but still...)

I was thinking that I never got near a million dollars for any guitar I ever made.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2008, 1:45 PM
What is it, the richest 10% of the people on the planet own like 80% of everything? Something like that?

You must look past the upper levels to the lower ones. There you may find evidence of what you think you are seeking.... :)

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2008, 2:43 PM
I was thinking that I never got near a million dollars for any guitar I ever made.Don't feel bad. The people who made that one didn't get much for it either: they sold it to some English kid for a couple hundred bucks. He abused it for 40 years and then gave it away to charity. :cool:

Jeffrey Makiel
06-17-2008, 2:53 PM
I've heard the Barrett Jackson auctions dubbed by many as the playground for the well heeled, even from the TV hosts on the Speed channel. I'm not sure it's a good litmus test for how well the middle class is doing these days. A better indicator would be the Sheriff's auction for foreclosed homes.

-Jeff :)

Pat Germain
06-17-2008, 2:58 PM

Although rare, there are a lot more than ten Shelby/AC Cobra GT's around. The problem is, almost every rich guy wants one and they outnumber the available cars. So, they go for over half a mil. The less fortunate must settle for the Cobra kit cars.

I went to a Mustang Roundup in Steamboat, Colorado last July. There were FOUR Shelby GT 500 KR examples there; just driving around town. One them was a KR Convertible! Those are among the rarest of American cars. Apparently, there's no shortage of guys who can afford them.

As always, the ultra-wealthy are little affected by bad economies. They can just buy things cheaper.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2008, 3:02 PM
I've heard the Barrett Jackson auctions dubbed by many as the playground for the well heeled, even from the TV hosts on the Speed channel. I'm not sure it's a good litmus test for how well the middle class is doing these days. A better indicator would be the Sheriff's auction for foreclosed homes.

lol

Generally speaking there are two economic basis operating right now. If you are not tied in to the global economy you are prolly hurting.

When I was in Grad school studying for my MSW one of my proffs insisted that "middle class" was at about $600,000 per annum income and the popular presumption that it was anything else was just the lower classes trying to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Until I became an elitist I never knew how low class I was.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2008, 3:48 PM
I went to a Mustang Roundup in Steamboat, Colorado last July. There were FOUR Shelby GT 500 KR examples there; just driving around town. One them was a KR Convertible! Those are among the rarest of American cars. Apparently, there's no shortage of guys who can afford them.

1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am Convertible

8 made

Would almost give my kid up for one! :eek: (Hope the wife and kid don't see this post! ;) )

Matt Ocel
06-17-2008, 3:58 PM
$675K:eek:!

You can buy a lotta saw blades for that.

Or one Festool nail set.:D

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2008, 4:28 PM
Although rare, there are a lot more than ten Shelby/AC Cobra GT's around. The problem is, almost every rich guy wants one and they outnumber the available cars. So, they go for over half a mil. The less fortunate must settle for the Cobra kit cars.I was talking about the Cobra Daytona coupe. Turns out I misstated the scarcity: there were only five of them ever built.
http://thecarsource.com/shelby/cobra/daytona/daytona_coupe.shtml

Not sure how many of the street-model Cobra roadsters were built, but I suspect that's what Cliff's referring to: I found a reference to a 427 sold at Barrett-Jackson in February for $625K, so $675K is certainly well within reach.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2008, 6:28 PM
Or one Festool nail set.:D

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Dan Mages
06-17-2008, 6:56 PM
Sweet!!

I spotted this pair today while having my AC fixed. On the left is, senior, a 1971 Dodge Challenger 426 HEMI with a 4 speed auto... only 12 exist and valued well over 100k! On the right is junior, a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8. The sign said don't touch... but nothing about drool...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/100_0273.jpg

mike holden
06-17-2008, 8:40 PM
The barracuda with the 426 hemi - only six made on the assembly line.
You could probably find six at any street rod show.

Reminds me of the Can-Am racecar reunion held a few years ago - all fifteen of the original twelve McLaren M6's showed up - and all had papers showing they were original!

Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware!
Not all that glitters is gold.

Mike

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2008, 8:53 PM
The barracuda with the 426 hemi - only six made on the assembly line.That's just for convertibles: there were hundreds of Hemi 'Cuda coupes. (Wikipedia claims fourteen '70 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles, seven in '71. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Barracuda)

mike holden
06-18-2008, 9:44 AM
Lee, sorry, you are correct 6 convertibles. But you can still find seven that claim to be authentic at any street rod show. (grin) Maybe its because I live in SE Michigan that I see so many fakes.
BTW, I work for Chrysler, for a short while yet.
Mike

Chris Damm
06-19-2008, 10:41 AM
You do know those shows are reruns don't you?

Greg Narozniak
06-19-2008, 1:42 PM
The prices are insane. My best friend took his Factory Five Cobra replica (his second one he's built) to the FL Barret Jackson and he now holds the record for the highest selling price for a Replica Cobra ever sold @ BJ. Unreal!

The $$$ is out there, I just know I don't have any of it :)