PDA

View Full Version : greyscale on alumamark?

Craig Hogarth
06-17-2008, 1:35 AM
I'm on my last 2 pieces of alumamark and I need them for a job. I've never done greyscale and I don't have enough to test. Does it work and if so, what % works best. I only need black and one visible shade of gray.

Scott Shepherd
06-17-2008, 7:07 AM
I've not had much luck with grayscale on alumamark. The gray doesn't seem to get hot enough to make the proper mark.

Mike Null
06-17-2008, 7:31 AM
I've had my best success with slow speeds and lower power. Your gray should engrave as you want using your normal speed and power settings.

Rodne Gold
06-17-2008, 8:19 AM
Greyscale on a laser is merely spaced black dots , dunno whether the alumark will accept closely spaced dots ,dpends on the "bleed" a black dot makes on alumark.
I would suggest using a fairly coarse grid to do your halftoning,ie large spacing and largeish dots for the greyscale.

Bill Cunningham
06-17-2008, 9:20 PM
I just did a dozen 8x10 silver Alumamark plates with a photo and text for a conference centre in Toronto.. I used photograv to prepare the photos, and they came out fine! I've never tried the halftone driver by itself, but I know it works on cermarked stainless so with Alumamark, it could be just a matter of testing little pieces until you get the right power and speed combo.. If you don't have photograv, You could also use photopaint and Rodney's previous instructions for preparing a photo for engraving.. Then test speed and power on small pieces until you get a clear image.. It will be much easier on Gold Alumamark than Silver!