PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Loveseat

J. Z. Guest
06-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Just finished the stain last night. As a matter of fact, it hadn't completely dried yet, and I have a couple of stain spots on the butt of my shorts from sitting in it this afternoon. (it's OK, they're shop clothes anyhow) It's pretty comfy, but I was hoping the front legs would be taller and support under the knees a bit better.

It was a fun project; not having to do any proper joinery. I think it probably took me about 40 hours. If I were to do it again, I would do two chairs, not a loveseat. I like having the curve on the back go all the way around my back. (instead of a curve on one side and flat in the middle) Also, I would use pocket hole joinery from underneath instead of horsing around with all those damned plugs.

I jumped the gun and fastened the rear lower seat slat before plugging the bottom screw holes in the back seat slats, so I wound up filling them with epoxy putty and sanding them flush later. (with a light touch and the Dremel drum sanding bit) I couldn't resist using that putty to spackle up a sharp-edged knot hole on the side of one of the front legs too. That stuff is magical. Like epoxy, but a bit harder to mix. Yet it holds its form, like clay, so one doesn't have to consider orientation as it dries.

Sorry for the cramped pictures; our balcony is tiny. I will definitely use the SLR next time, as the point & shoot camera did not really deliver in the sharpness department. Maybe that's a blessing, hehehe.

Now, onto the "Remote Control Holder" (http://woodstore.net/recoho.html) for my father in-law.

Don Bullock
06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Jeremy, the loveseat looks great. It's much better looking than those plastic chairs.;):D Your critique of is very helpful.

Dewey Torres
06-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Jeremy, wasn't this chair in AWW recently?

Looks like you did a good job on it.

Noticed the remote holder in May issue of Wood. That one shouldn't take you 40 hrs.:)

Take care!
Dewey

John Thompson
06-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Very well done and look great, Jeffery. And of course the photo's are very good regardless of your cramped balcony. I only wish mine were half as good.. you "dirty dog" you. :D

Excellent and enjoy...

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
06-17-2008, 1:12 AM
Nice job on the loveseat Jeremy. Before the remote project, it's time to get a cool one and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done....

J. Z. Guest
06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Jeremy, wasn't this chair in AWW recently?

Noticed the remote holder in May issue of Wood. That one shouldn't take you 40 hrs.:)

Yes, that's the one! As for the remote holder, we'll see. These small designs, I always change something, which usually complicates it a bit and about doubles the time needed. In this case, I'm thinking of doweling it together instead of all those grooves & rabbets. We'll see!

J. Z. Guest
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Very well done and look great, Jeffery.

Thanks Jim! ;)

Brent Ring
06-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Nice job Jeremy. I am thinking of making a rocking version of the one that was in Wood magazine, that they sell the plans for. This one looks similar. Did you use a set of plans, or your own design?

J. Z. Guest
06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
...the one that was in Wood magazine, that they sell the plans for. This one looks similar. Did you use a set of plans, or your own design?

Plans from American Woodworker Magazine. I didn't like the shape of the top of the slats in WOOD's plans. Too Art Deco for me.

Lance Norris
06-17-2008, 5:35 PM
Nice job Jeremy. I never thought Id enjoy building outdoor furniture, but have built several picnic tables and a few benches this summer, and have really had fun building them. I always liked sitting in the adirondack chairs at my grandpas when I was a kid, I might have to make a pair for myself. Again, nice job.

Jim Becker
06-20-2008, 2:14 PM
I don't know why I missed this earlier, but bravo on a wonderful piece!!