PDA

View Full Version : where to find "high pressure laminate"?

Tyler Davis
06-16-2008, 7:43 PM
I'm building Norm's router table and it calls for high pressure laminate over the working surfaces. It looks like a thin sheet of white plastic. A quick search of the Home Depot aisles and website comes up empty. Any idea where I can find this stuff? Would it be in the kitchen countertops section? I assume they sell it in sheets that you can cut w/ an xacto blade...

John Lucas
06-16-2008, 7:50 PM
Formica is one brand. The Fornica I use is 949-58 -- that is white matte finish. The boxes don't care these in stock any more. I order from my local lumber yard. Takes about 2 days to have it. "Counter grade" is the thicker and longer wearing. The 2' x 4' piece I just got was $14. There are any numbewr of sizes. "Vertical" grade can b ordered in some of the colors and is available in 4' x 8' sheets, I dont have the price. I use the vertical gfrade for jigs and things that dont get all that much wear.
You can cut these on a table saw or by using a carbide hand cutting tool, but not with an Exacto knife. You use the carbide cutting tool to make progressive scratchews in the back side...after you have a groove, you bend and snap the piece. You should get Formica brand oor similar contact cement for it. These days most of that are waterbased

Jim O'Dell
06-16-2008, 8:05 PM
Most of the Lowes have laminate in stock, 4 to 6 colors to choose from.. Most of the HDs by me do not, although one on the east side of town does still carry 4 X 8 sheets. The have white and black at 42.00 per 4 X 8 sheet, and colors for 60.00 or so. I also have a distributor here in Ft. Worth that I can pick up just about anything made. I got some Wilsonart to match some close out I found at one HD, and it was about 60.00 per 4 X 8 sheet. It is an upper scale product from the plain colors.
You don't show in your profile where you live. You might post that and maybe someone in your area can point you to a good place. You can also go to Formica and WilsonArt and see where local distributors are in your area. Jim.

Steve Sawyer
06-16-2008, 8:07 PM
Formica is one brand.

I don't think that's correct, John. I believe that Formica (and it's competitors like WilsonArt) are considered "low pressure" laminates because they are adhered to the substrate with contact cement and a roller or some basic clamping, and don't require a vacuum press or the like.

What we most often encounter along the lines of "high pressure" laminates is Melamine. These can't usually be applied by the DIY'er from what I understand, needing something like a big vacuum press.

Wes Bischel
06-16-2008, 8:51 PM
Steve,
The "high pressure" nomenclature references the manufacturing process versus the installation method.

Tyler,
Yes, it should be in the counter section of the big box stores. I have found going to the local lumber yard can actually easier - they tend to be better at rolling it without damaging it.

Wes

David DeCristoforo
06-16-2008, 9:24 PM
Actually, "high pressure" laminate and "melamine" have virtually identical surfaces with the only significant difference being the substrate to which the "color layer" is bonded. The term "melamine" is also used "generically" to describe anything with a surface layer of something other than wood, bonded to a core, which could include vinyl covered particle board as well as the "better quality" panels.

Anthony Whitesell
06-16-2008, 9:42 PM
That's where I found mine in both Lowe's and Home Depot, the counter/counter top area.

Tommy Emmons
06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Wilsonart and Formica are both High Pressure laminates. I retired from Wilsonart and I would recommend "regular" grade laminate for work surfaces. The "post forming" grade has the same toughnes, but can be bent by using heat. The "verticle" grade is much thinner and is intended for vertical surface that will not see impact and heay usage.

Tyler Davis
06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
thanks guys

it looks like my Lowes here in Tucson carries Formica

Steve Sawyer
06-17-2008, 7:02 AM
Steve,
The "high pressure" nomenclature references the manufacturing process versus the installation method.

Thanks for the correction, Wes - the explanation I got once must have been in error (from a contractor and custom cabinet builder - who I assumed knew what he was talking about).

Russ Filtz
06-17-2008, 7:55 AM
I second the Wilsonart stuff. It's not your simple Borg "melamine". the borg stuff is very soft, while the name brand is tougher. You can get the Wilsonart in sheet rolls, unbonded to any substrate.

The High-pressure as stated, refers to the making of the actual "plastic" sheet, not how it's glued to the board (substrate). For some other tough stuff, you can look at phenolics. Which is probably what Wilsonart is, maybe!

Christof Grohs
06-17-2008, 8:12 AM
I was prototyping a furniture piece for a designer not long ago and we used this stuff called Microdot from Formica. I sourced it from a few local lumber yards (special order) and ended up paying about $80 for a 4x8 sheet. I liked it so much I ordered 4 more and topped all my work surfaces with it, including my router tables. I see now that Kreg also uses MicroDot on their tables and I think Jessem tables may have it as well. Objects slide very easy on top of this surface, it's not hard to clean and it is very durable.

here is the company link: http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index/laminate/colors_collections/microdot.html#

http://www.formica.com/publish/products/en/laminate/microdot_finish/black.Specifications.0001.LargeImage.Image.gif

Dave Anderson NH
06-17-2008, 12:47 PM
High Pressure Laminate refers to a method of laminating up layers of a substrate with a resin into sheet, roll, or tube goods. Industrial versions are normally governed and classified by NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) Resins used in the layup include phenolic, melamine, silicone, and epoxy. The reinforcing layers include paper, canvas, linen, fiberglass, silicone, and nylon. These are the types of things you will see described as G-10, G-11, X, XX, XXX, XPC, XXPC, G-7, G-5, G-9, and N-1. Primary uses are for industrial fixtures and jigs and circuit board assemblies.

Low pressure laminates are normally made under lower press pressures and with lower cure temperatures. The most commonly seen materials are glass fiber with polyester resins and are refered to as GPO-1, GPO-2, and GPO-3 under NEMA. Most often they are pultruded into structural shapes for use in reinforcement though sheet stock is available. A common trade name is Glastic.

Formica, Micarta, and Wilsonart are trade names and are not to be confused with actual materials. The grades used for countertops are usually paper reinforcement with a phenolic resin and they are indeed high pressure laminates by themselves even before they are applied to a structural substrate like plywood, MDF, or particleboard.

Addy Protocol: I started in the manufacturing and distribution part of the non-metallic and plastics industry in 1976.