View Full Version : Drill guide?

Mark Kelly
04-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Anyone ever use one of these? I do not have a drill press yet (saving my money for one..hopefully before the end of the year.) I was curious if these would help to drill straight holes or are they not worth the money? Thanks.

Lee Schierer
04-15-2004, 12:29 PM
While, I've not used the exact model pictured, I have used drill guides before and can offer that they are better than free hand, but certainly not a replacement for a drill press if you want accuracy. At best, these guides are awkward since the drill is located some distance from the surface you are drilling into and the base is relatively small.

Dan Mages
04-15-2004, 1:57 PM
Ah... a Hillbilly drill press! ;) ;) My father has one like that. It does not work very well, but it is better than freehanding it. How much do they want for it?? I say you are better off putting down $100 on a basic benchtop drill press from Delta.
Dan

Edit: I looked over at Amazon, and they have an 8" Grizzly for $59 and a 5 speed Grizzly for $79..

Mark Kelly
04-15-2004, 2:44 PM
Edit: I looked over at Amazon, and they have an 8" Grizzly for $59 and a 5 speed Grizzly for $79..

But what is the maximum size piece you can use in one of these?

The 'hillbilly' is $27. I am saving my money for a larger drill press than you quoted above, as I don't want to buy a small press only to have to purchase a new one in 9 months.

I don't like to waste money, yet I do need something to drill straight holes, whether with boring bits or forstner bits.

Tyler Howell
04-15-2004, 3:05 PM
I had the Cman version years ago and worked it to death in rafters and electronic racks. wouldn't drill straight but I could hold it in place and put a lot more preasure to drill in strange areas. Kinda looking for one now to do some of those odd-odd-odd jobs.

Mike looks like the sky is the limit for work under the guide. judging from the pix. Maybe something 2.5 to 3 inches wide by 3" high.

Mark Kelly
04-15-2004, 3:08 PM
yes, that is the Craftsman in the picture. So you are saying that it still doesn't drill straight? If that is the case, it may be worth investing a little more in a very small benchtop DP.

Tyler Howell
04-15-2004, 3:13 PM
yes, that is the Craftsman in the picture. So you are saying that it still doesn't drill straight? If that is the case, it may be worth investing a little more in a very small benchtop DP.
Have to agree with others. Better than free hand. but not much. Look real carefully at the bench tops too. Had a HF that wood burn oval holes.:eek:

John Schreiber
04-16-2004, 1:31 PM
I've got one sorta like that and I used it on occasion until I got a drill press. Mine just never held things in line very well. I actually found I could be more accurate by putting a square or a sliding bevel (as appropriate) on the work piece and eyeballing with that.

I did find it handy for drilling holes in PVC pipe though.

Howard Rosenberg
04-16-2004, 4:10 PM
into the middle of a sheet product.
I used mine that way all the time until I realized I could plunge one of my routers.
I've owned a floor-standing 17" drill press right from the start but someone else offered the idea of buying a 8" drill press to get yourself started. If you bought a major brand-name like Delta or JET, you could sell it for nearly what you paid for it in a few months.
Unless you're using your DP for mortises in teek, or making piano parts, the small ones have adequate power and reach for most jobs.
BTW, if you're using this for holes in sheet goods, you CAN rotate the head on a small unit and position the whole thing on the board.
FWIW, the HD version is what I have; it looks the same as LV's offering. That is, more sturdy-looking than the photo you included.
Hope this helps.
Howard

aurelio alarcon
04-17-2004, 3:27 AM
I have one identical to this, and it works great! I recently purchased a drill press, but this worked great while saving for a drill press. Additionally, it is great to have if you need to drill an acurate hole where a drill press cannot go. I will definetely keep mine handy just in case I find myself in a bind or a "tight" spot on something already assembled. But, then again, I do a lot of remodeling work, and sometimes I can't easily remove a piece and take it to a drill press.