PDA

View Full Version : Epilog power Supply

James Stokes
06-16-2008, 1:24 PM
Any one know where to get a power supply re-built? A power supply is out on my 100 watt Epilog. Epilog wants $4800 for a new one. Unfortunatly right now I just do not know if I can justify spending that much money. Any one have any Ideas?

Robert Ray
06-16-2008, 1:29 PM
For that kind of money, you could just about shotgun it and restuff every component with new parts!

What about one of those second source laser repair places?

Kim Vellore
06-16-2008, 2:18 PM
Wow... $4800 power supply...? a power supply that costs $4800 should never fail. Just post the specs on the power supply including the dimensions and I'll try to find you an equivalent. If you can. post a picture too. I think they use a 48V SMPS with some high current ratings, You should be able to get an equivalent drop in replacement.

Kim

Any one know where to get a power supply re-built? A power supply is out on my 100 watt Epilog. Epilog wants $4800 for a new one. Unfortunatly right now I just do not know if I can justify spending that much money. Any one have any Ideas?

Doug Griffith
06-16-2008, 2:55 PM
There are also many places to get one custom built. Just Google "custom power supply".

Peck Sidara
06-16-2008, 3:39 PM
James,

I would think the first place to look would be the source. Brand, model & SN are on the actual supply itself.

Other options are local electronic shops or a friend of a friend who's an electrical engineer. If you have the time to source and wait for repairs, I'm certain you can save some money.

My apologies for our service department wanting an arm and a leg for a replacement James but the cost is justified primarily due to the replacement cost, repair cost and it being a 6 year old supply.

Good luck with it and hopefully you can find a replacement for much less.

James Stokes
06-16-2008, 6:05 PM
Peck, I am not saying if Epilogs cost is justified or not. So do not get your panties in a wad. What I am saying is I do not have 4800 hundred dollars! If I am going to get it running I need to do some checking.

The Power supply is made by Emmerson Electric
The model is Astec vs1-09-03
P/N 73-180-0579ce

Peck Sidara
06-16-2008, 6:20 PM
Wow, where did that come from?

In case my message came across the wrong way. I DO AGREE that $4,5XX.00 is alot of money. I MADE a recommendation as to what options are available.

Joe Pelonio
06-16-2008, 6:40 PM
We should be grateful that a manufacturer would help someone find a less expensive replacement for a part!

Try these:

http://www.powerconversion.com/shortform/

http://www.powerconversion.com/assets/datasheets/VS.pdf

Kim Vellore
06-16-2008, 6:46 PM
James,
I was pleasantly surprised with Peck's reply working for Epilog. He was just trying to help you. The part # you have will not show up since it is an OEM part. Do you have the voltage and current specs on the power supply?

Kim

James Stokes
06-16-2008, 6:58 PM
Peck I apolagize For taking that wrong, but it sounded to me like you were just trying to justify the price.
Today has not been a good day.

Epilog has allways been real good.

Dan Hintz
06-16-2008, 8:47 PM
Whatever you do, don't throw it in the trash. If nothing else, I'd be happy to relieve you of the dead weight, reverse engineer the unit, and provide everyone with a schematic (or working copies for 1/10th the price).

Eric Allen
06-17-2008, 2:56 AM
Whatever you do, don't throw it in the trash. If nothing else, I'd be happy to relieve you of the dead weight, reverse engineer the unit, and provide everyone with a schematic (or working copies for 1/10th the price).

Heh, wish I could spare mine for a while, at 1/10th the price, it'd be nice to have a spare on hand:)

James Stokes
06-17-2008, 7:44 AM
I am not about to through the power supply away. If I get the power supply from Epilog there is a $1500 core charge.

I have found a Company in Maryland that fixes power supplies and related electronics. I think I am going to send it to them. I will see what the charge to fix it will be. I will keep the board posted.

Dan Hintz
06-17-2008, 9:02 AM
Heh, wish I could spare mine for a while, at 1/10th the price, it'd be nice to have a spare on hand:)
Eric, my interests have always leaned more towards the microprocessor side of electronics (M.S.E.E.), so classes in power were always at the 'C' (maybe 'B') grade level. If someone else has done the design work, I can easily recreate it, but it would take me ten times as long as a power engineer to create one from scratch. The most expensive components are typically the RF FETs and/or transformers used in the main power stage, everything else is a (nearly) dime-a-dozen cost. Board layout at RF are critical, but I can handle that.

If anyone else has a dud power supply sitting in the corner of their workshop, I'd be happy to borrow it for a week or so, returning both the supply and a matching schematic. If I have the parts on hand, I'd also repair it, but I make no promises in that department.

Richard Rumancik
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Emerson might help you match it up to an off-the-shelf version. See if you can get a hold of a helpful applications engineer. If you have dimensions and basic specs (watts, voltage in, voltage out, VA, etc that may help him.) Could also send them a photo.

But you have to figure out what makes the Epilog different. That might not be easy and they might not be allowed to tell you. It may be just an approval (eg CE approval) or a connector difference, but it also might be something very complex which you couldn't retrofit/rebuild.

In the OEM world, lots of "custom" power supplies start life as an off-the-shelf version and then have subtle tweaks for a specific application making them "specials".

Just make sure you have the right thing or your problems will only get worse.

Eric Allen
06-17-2008, 3:02 PM
Eric, my interests have always leaned more towards the microprocessor side of electronics (M.S.E.E.), so classes in power were always at the 'C' (maybe 'B') grade level. If someone else has done the design work, I can easily recreate it, but it would take me ten times as long as a power engineer to create one from scratch. The most expensive components are typically the RF FETs and/or transformers used in the main power stage, everything else is a (nearly) dime-a-dozen cost. Board layout at RF are critical, but I can handle that.

If anyone else has a dud power supply sitting in the corner of their workshop, I'd be happy to borrow it for a week or so, returning both the supply and a matching schematic. If I have the parts on hand, I'd also repair it, but I make no promises in that department.

I'll have to make a file with you in it:) You might find a nice second market in keeping other Creekers going:)

Ray Mighells
06-17-2008, 3:54 PM
James; in the meantime, you have any hot stuff you need to get out? Be glad to help while your machine is down. I am not busy. Send a PM if you like.

James Stokes
06-17-2008, 4:03 PM
Ray I appreciate the offer but that is one of my problem also. I am not busy. I do have a Vytec laser so I am not completely dead in the water.

AL Ursich
06-18-2008, 4:40 PM
James,

I would give this place a call. They refurbish Lasers and might be interested in rebuilding your power supply.

They are also a supplier of rebuilt lasers for old Epilog Units. I sold them some old Synrad Lasers I had.

http://www.photovaclaser.com/

AL