PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on right chuck for mini lathe.

Alan Trout
06-16-2008, 12:29 AM
My mini lathe should be here in the next week or so. It is time for me to start looking for a scroll chuck. I am considering two units. The first one is the Vic clone from Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6265. The other one in consideration is the Nova G3.http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/G3/Nova_G3_Chuck.htm.

The accessory jaws from Vicmarc and Teknatool are similarly priced. The one advantage to the G3 is that I can get additional jaws local if needed. However ordering is not that big of a deal.

I know the G3 weights less but not sure if this is that big of a deal on a typical mini lathes bearings. However the closed back on the Grizzly seems nice to keep the crud out.

Far as price goes the final price for either is really close so that is not a big deal.

Additionally are there any jaws that would be nice to start with other than the standard jaws that come with the chucks.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Doug Miller
06-16-2008, 2:09 AM
I can only speak about the G3 since I don't own the Grizzly. My experience is that the G3 is an excellent chuck. I've used it on my Nova Mercury, a mini, and on my Nova 1624. It holds without fail. A great chuck that will do anything you ask it to do.

Bill Blasic
06-16-2008, 6:36 AM
I can talk about both as I have them both. I have recently had trouble with the screws for the jaws with the grizzly chuck, 3 have broken and a fourth stripped where the allen wrench is inserted. These screws are half the diameter of the Nova screws. I am looking for better replacements as 4 screws do not hold jaws that require 8 screws. Have never had a problem with any of my G3's.

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2008, 9:42 AM
I have 3 of the Grizzly chucks along with several Vicmarc VM100 jaws that fit it. Not a bit of problems and they hold well. I also have the Vicmarc and it is a excellent chuck.

Mike Peace
06-16-2008, 1:43 PM
Which accessory jaws you need depend on what you are turning.
I have the SN2 and G3 with long nose jaws, 25 (never use) and 35mm bowl jaws, long nose jaws, 35 mm spigot and the mini cole jaws. I use the long jaws when turning boxes. I use the 35 mm bowl jaws whenever I turn a tendon too small for the 50mm jaws and also for some spindle work on smaller stuff. I do not do hollow forms so rarely use the spigot jaws. I would wait until you get some experience and then see what you could really use. I probably use the 35mm jaws almost as much as the 50mm.

Alan Trout
06-17-2008, 9:04 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I ended up getting the G3. Grizzly was out of stock of their chuck until the first week of august.

Thanks, again.

Alan

Jim Underwood
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
You'll like the G3. I have one, and the reason I bought it, is that I also have the orginal Nova Chuck and the Nova Midi Chuck, and all the jaws interchange... (or most of them do).

I haven't had any problem with it either.

Larry Rupert
06-18-2008, 5:55 PM
I have the Jet Mini, and the SN2 and G3 chucks. They are both great chucks, never a problem with either, and the jaws interchange. I'd do it again in a minute (BTW, I bought most of the jaws available too...) :D

Larry

Gordon Seto
06-18-2008, 6:21 PM
Lee Valley still has some on sale:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52389&cat=1,44047

You may have to get the insert (lathe adapter)somewhere.

If you want a second chuck body, the SN2 chuck body only at $112.50 is also a good buy.