PDA

View Full Version : Kilz 2 vs. Sherwin Williams PrepRite Primers

Dan Mages
06-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Good morning,

Ali and I picked up some paint and primer for our new house. I was surprised that their primer is almost twice as much as Kilz 2 in 5 gallon buckets. Is it worth the extra cost, or should I exchange it?

Thanks!!

Dan

Dewey Torres
06-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Kills brand is about as good as it gets. There may be others here who think differently but I have to tell you I can't imagine paying that much only to be fractionally better (at best) than Kills.

IMHO I would rate Kills #1!

Remember what you are buying it for... Kills does everything a primer is supposed to (and does it very well).

Dewey

Mike Henderson
06-16-2008, 1:11 AM
I've never had a problem with Kilz.

Mike

bill kiss
06-16-2008, 1:27 AM
The original Kilz was great, but Kilz2 does not go on smooth. Zinsser 123 is WAY better at just slightly more money. Ask any pro.

Jay Jolliffe
06-16-2008, 6:05 AM
I think the zinsser 123 is water base & kilz is oil base. I've used both a while back. I like cover stain made by zinsser. I guess kilz 2 is water base.

Jason Roehl
06-16-2008, 6:44 AM
The biggest difference is that the Kilz and Zinsser primers are more or less one-size-fits-all primers. They're pretty good, their strong point being their stain-blocking ability. S-W's PrepRite is a whole line of primers with different primers being formulated for best performance at a given task--drywall priming (PrepRite 200), high-build drywall priming (PrepRite Hi-Build--I think that's the name--helps achieve a level 5 finish), priming bare wood (PrepRite Classic), and so on. So you're not really comparing apples to apples. Sherwin's ProBlock line (oil-based and waterborne) is probably more on par with the Kilz and Zinsser retail products.

Not that I've used any of them... :rolleyes:

Dan Mages
06-16-2008, 7:44 AM
Thanks Jason!

I checked the can again and it says PrepRite 200 White Interior Primer Hides. Is this stuff worth the extra cost?

Thanks,

Dan

Jason Roehl
06-16-2008, 8:03 AM
That's hard to say from my perspective. As a painting contractor, I get an EXCELLENT price on that particular product. If you're priming new drywall with it, it is very good, but I doubt I would ever pay $30/gallon for drywall primer for myself. With that PrepRite on new drywall, we spray, backroll, then give it a quick pole-sanding the next day before the first topcoat. There are cheaper alternatives out there. Ask the paint store what they can sell you for a drywall primer in the $10-15/gallon range. (It's been so long since I've used anything BUT PrepRite 200 on new drywall because of the price we get that I don't remember what a good alternative is.)

Tom Godley
06-16-2008, 9:10 AM
For "new" drywall that has never been painted I use "first coat" made by sheetrock -- I can get it at the local full service lumber yard -- I do not remember ever seeing it at the boxes. It is easy to work with and is designed to even out the difference between the sheetrock surface and the joint compound -- it is also surprising inexpensive.

I also used to use the original kilz product a lot. It did an great job at hiding stains and knots -- and getting rid of the bright spots in walls -- I think they call it flashing. But I find many of the reformulated products - kilz 2 included - to be more problematic.

Not being a professional painter there is always a learning curve when I start to paint a room - now made much more difficult by all the paint changes.

When I start a new job and the wall has already been painted and will still require primer I normally buy the one that goes with the topcoat -- especially if it is a 100% acrylic