PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for repairing a small hole in an acrylic hot tub?

Craig Stueve
06-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I have a hot tub that has a small hole in the bottom. It is basically figure 8 shaped about the size of 2 quarters.

The tub is well insulated and barely leaks the only reason I found the hole was that I had drained the tub to clean it. Since the hole is on the bottom of the tub the does not have to look the best. I would just like to get it sealed up better and prevent it from getting any worse.

Are there any products that I could use to repair this? I am hoping that someone her has some first hand experience with the repair process and can give me a few tips on the process.

Thanks
Craig

Jason Roehl
06-16-2008, 6:08 AM
No experience, but I'd use a 2-part epoxy putty. If you don't care about looks, you could scuff up a little of the surrounding area with some 80 or 100-grit sandpaper to give it some tooth. An alternative if it's not leaking much would be to fill the hole with 2-part epoxy (not the putty). You might be able to pour it level-full and get a pretty good repair that way.

Better tell your wife to stop dancing in heels in the tub! :p :D

Matt Ocel
06-16-2008, 8:28 AM
There are companies out there that will fix chips, nicks, and cracks.

Or

You can buy a repair kit and do it yourself. I have gotten kits at the hardware store, I don't know if borg has them, but you can try.

Bill Cunningham
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
A trick I use when using two part epoxy for a nice finish, is once you have filled the area, cover it with a piece of smooth plastic film, and press it down firmly squeegee smoothing out to the edges. Photocopy Transparencies work fine. When the epoxy is cured, the plastic will just peal off, leaving a smooth glossy finish.. This works even if you have added glass mat to the fill area, and are using acrylic resin (i.e fiberglass)

Jeffrey Makiel
06-18-2008, 6:39 AM
If it's an American Stardard tub, they will send you a repair kit, usually free of charge.
-Jeff :)

Russ Filtz
06-18-2008, 8:31 AM
I second the 2-part epoxy. You can get some that's made for marine or underwater applications, or to seal water supply pipes. Check any pool stores, Walmart, etc. I had a crack in my spa pump housing that was spouting water under pressure. I used some of this 2-part epoxy to cover the crack and some surrounding area and it's sealed nicely even with the pressurized water.