PDA

View Full Version : iPhone users-AT&T service?

Tony Sade
06-15-2008, 7:23 PM
With the price slash on the upcoming iPhone 3G model, I'm not sure I can resist any longer. I'm curious about AT&T's wireless service and would appreciate any comments folks might care to share. My college boy, who's on my plan and will become a less than willing participant in any switch from our current provider (Alltel) swears that AT&T service leaves much to be desired. I've learned to take his pronouncements will a degree of skepticism,and would appreciate comments from actual users.

We're in WV, he's in SC (Cape Canaveral for the summer) and none of us are big travelers (even if we could afford it these days).

Thanks,

David G Baker
06-15-2008, 7:55 PM
I believe that Alltel is merging with Verizon I have no idea if the merger will improve anything but it could. I don't know about AT&T because the most available towers that I know of in my area of Mid Michigan when I signed with Alltel was Alltel, AT&T was not available to my knowledge at the time.
You may want to wait and see if there is an improvement or do a lot of research before you switch.

Scott Shepherd
06-15-2008, 8:41 PM
Tony, I haven't been through Charleston, but I have been to Snowshoe (Marlington area) many times with AT&T service. Well, let's just say I paid for the service, but got none. Just outside of Staunton, VA, I lose service and have no service at all into WV. No roaming, no nothing. No service period.

Might be different in Charleston. Around here, it's pretty darn good. I've had Verizon and AT&T (which was AT&T, then got bought out by SunCom, which got bought out by Cingular, which got bought out by AT&T (go figure)), and if you asked me this 2 years ago, I would have said Verizon was better, but AT&T had the better plans (Unlimited minutes for $59 per month), but today, you pay as you go and both have about the same coverage.

If I had to resign up today, I probably wouldn't change carriers. I'm fairly happy with it, except for having no cell service on ski or hiking trips.

Craig D Peltier
06-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I just read a side by side comparison with the old i phone and new one in USA today. All the marketing hype over the cost savings. When compared due to increased rate cost it was about $50 more over 2 years. Either way it was about 2K for two years.

Curt Harms
06-16-2008, 4:21 AM
I've had At&t since I've had a cell phone. My experience with coverage is quite good. I think there's an advantage to GSM for those of us that travel outside the country as well. My experience has been positive but I've never had any issues to test their customer service or lack thereof.

HTH

Curt

Matt Meiser
06-16-2008, 8:06 AM
Service seems to vary widely geographically. Most people I work with swear by Verizon in St. Louis. But at my old job here in Michigan the company dropped Verizon for company phones and went to Nextel/Sprint because people had so many problems with Verizon service.

Jim Becker
06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm a happy ATT wireless user since 1996. I did have VZ prior to that, but it was the old analog service. Since I am a traveler, ATT's use of the "world standard" GSM system works best for me, too. Although I don't currently use the 3G data services since my E62 doesn't support it, I do look forward to the faster speeds that 3G offers when I move to a new device in the future. That may be an iPhone, depending upon certain technical aspects of corporate email support, or another device...I have to use what is compatible with my corporate system.

I'd suggest you find someone who is already an ATT subscriber among your friends and acquaintances and see what kind of signal you have available in the places you most frequent. I'm going to guess that's not going to be an issue in your metropolitan area.

Oh, and yes, VZ intends to buy out Alttel...