PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it dirty

Gary Herrmann
06-15-2008, 4:01 PM
About a month ago I took delivery of my 3520b that I ordered from Sean at Toolnut. It wasn't the smoothest transaction - not Sean's fault, but his follow up with Powermatic was great. His price for the lathe and accessories was great too - not counting the rebate.

First WMH shipped me a Jet 1642, then when the 3520b finally got shipped, the freight company and WMH thrashed around till the lathe finally got delivered to me. Again, Sean was very helpful.

I haven't finished the base yet. I intend to add some storage on top of the ballast box, but haven't nailed down my design yet.

Being 6'7", a 44" spindle height wasn't going to work for me. I glued and screwed 2x6 stock to make a (kinda) mortise and tenon base frame. Spindle height is now 53"; the mat makes it about 52.25". The box has 200lbs of sand in it.

I can start, stop and restart the lathe with a 40lb off-balance chunk of wood on a face plate with a nickel standing on edge on the ways. Not too shabby.

I don't get much shop time in during the Spring and Summer, but today is Father's Day, so I got a present. I got to finish roughing out this pear blank. It's about 11" in diam, and 4.5" deep right now.

If you haven't made your mind up about a lathe yet, consider the 3520b. Fantastic lathe for the price. Turning off the end is so much easier on my back than twisting over the ways. Proof pics are below...

robert hainstock
06-15-2008, 4:13 PM
I' m 6'1" and ways height can be vothersome for me. but am glad you've got it worked out. A suggestion; more finished projects and pictures. congrats. :):)
Bob

Paul Engle
06-15-2008, 4:57 PM
At 6'3" I know exactly what you mean, my first house had custom built counters/lowers for a lady and her husband , they stood ..... 5'2" sooooo the kids and LOML loved it but is was killer for me and I like to cook ( that was a 3,000$ remod of the lowers 25 yrs ago ). I set a lot of my shop at 38" base height and the work benches are 42", my Jet is set a 52" to cL of the spindle and I hold the gouge~s etc under my arm pit ...very smooth and steady that way, it is also the reason for a rotating hs. Yea man compressed and fractured vertibre do not like to stoop. Glad you like your mustard.!!!

Judy Kingery
06-15-2008, 5:02 PM
Gary, congrats to you indeed! Glad you've jumped in, have the height set right for you and vibration is nil. Outstanding! I'm fairly tall, well for a woman, 5' 10" and my husband built me a 2" platform for the big lathe/floor mat on top of it and it is the perfect height for me, now. Cool beans. That's great, Gary, enjoy! Jude

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2008, 5:19 PM
Gary congrats on getting started. You are on your way.

Bruce Pennell
06-15-2008, 6:23 PM
Gary glad you got the new PM dirty. I like the way you raised your lathe, I've been thinking of ways to do mine. I will probably copy what you did, I was thinking of bolting mine right to the floor. I put about 480# of bag cement on mine, didn't notice a huge difference. Isn't it great to turn off the end? Very handy, my favorite part of the PM. can not wait to see more of your work...Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
06-15-2008, 7:01 PM
Gary - glad to see you got your lathe and are finally being able to use it! Nice job on raising it to a comfortable height for you! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Pete Jordan
06-15-2008, 8:07 PM
At 5'7" on a good day I don't know what you are talking about. Congrats on the lathe! You are going to love it more and more!