PDA

View Full Version : Who makes pre-made workshops / sheds ?

Grant Vanbokklen
06-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm looking for insight as to what companies make pre-made workshops / sheds. The reason I put "shed" in there is that I need this workshop to sit on top of a cement foundation and not be considered a permanent structure for HOA reasons. The size will be anywhere from 12'x16' to 12'x20'.

Matt Ocel
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Ya live close to MN?

I'll come and build you one.

Grant Vanbokklen
06-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry Matt, this will be in Southern California. But thanks for the offer. Also I should have said I would consider either metal or wood prefabricated.

Dewey Torres
06-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Miracle truss http://www.miracletruss.com/ (http://www.miricaltruss.com)
American Steel span http://www.steelspan.com/

Here are a couple. The back last few pages of WW mags are usually full of them.

Dewey

Jim O'Dell
06-15-2008, 1:38 PM
Tuff Shed seems to be everywhere. Home Depot carries some of their smaller stuff. Jim.
Guess I shoud say, I've never really looked close at them for quality.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2008, 1:57 PM
Our local lumber yards carry some that are made regionally.

Ben Cadotte
06-15-2008, 2:59 PM
Are you looking for prefabricated for ease of installation? I would think anything put on a cement pad would be considered permanent. Do you have time to build something? I could give you several ides as I used to build 10-12 a year for a lumber yard while I was in school. Many of them were done so they were considered portable. And definately passed the HOA rules. Largest one I did was 16'x24' and passed as a portable shed! No cement pad either!

Grant Vanbokklen
06-15-2008, 4:27 PM
Do you have time to build something?

That is the problem. Will be taking an extended vacation from work to do this in the backyard. But also redoing the kitchen and actually going on vacation. So no not really.

Those Tuff Shed ones look about right though. If anyone has any other recommendation I'll keep looking. Hope to be doing this in about two to three weeks.

Don Bullock
06-15-2008, 7:36 PM
Grant, double check your HOA rules and local building code to make sure what you can build and what permits, if any, are needed. Some building codes require permits for sheds over 100 sq/ft and sheds with electricity.

Tuff Shed seems to be everywhere. Home Depot carries some of their smaller stuff. Jim.
Guess I shoud say, I've never really looked close at them for quality.

A word of caution on the sheds sold at the BORGs. Yes, some are built by Tuff Shed, but they are built using different materials and specification than the ones their company sells. You can check out the differences on the Tuff Shed website. http://www.tuffshed.com/

I'm having Tuff Shed build a 24' x 40' garage/shop for me as well as a 8'x12' shed. Their website lists different styles and sizes and "custom" sizes are also available. The quality of their garages is as good or better than the garage I have on my home now. I know a couple of construction contractors who have bought sheds from Tuff Shed. They said they would have difficulty matching the quality for the price.

Peter Quadarella
06-15-2008, 7:50 PM
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a workshop built by Tuff Shed, but the cost grew too high. Maybe in a few years. I checked out their stuff and liked the construction. If it's not too big, they will come to your house and put it together in a day.

Grant Vanbokklen
06-16-2008, 12:39 AM
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a workshop built by Tuff Shed, but the cost grew too high.

Are you saying that they recently raised their pricing? Not that it would not be out of line considering how other things are going up in price especially gas.

Does Tuff Shed have any competitors to consider? I looked at the other two sites posted above but they look to be only larger units.

Don Bullock
06-16-2008, 9:38 AM
I don't know of any national competition for Tuff Shed. Here in Southern California there are other companies like Quality Sheds and Shed World. I noticed that there are several places named Shed World in different parts of the country, but I don't know if they are related.

Peter Quadarella
06-16-2008, 8:47 PM
Are you saying that they recently raised their pricing?
No, I just meant that when I started adding on everything I wanted for the shop (electric, etc.) the cost started exceeding my budget. I think the Tuff Sheds are very fairly priced.